Reload this Page >

2 Days in Normandy-- Suggestions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8th, 2000, 07:40 AM
Kim

My new husband & I will be coming over to Normandy form London and have two days before we go to Paris. We plan on taking the ferry to Caen and then picking up a rental car. We planned on one day for the D-Day beaches and then the next day working our way back to Paris. Does anyone have any suggestions where we should go the 2nd day? Also, we would appreciate any advice on the ferries. Thank you! <BR> <BR>Kim

Old Aug 8th, 2000, 08:12 AM
anniel

You could go to Bayeux to see the famous tapestries. With regard to the ferries you do not say when you are travelling. During school holidays they are crowded and you would need a booking. Once the children go back to school you will be OK. Are you hiring the car in UK? If so you could go through the Eurotunnel which is very convenient, but it does connect to Calais so perhaps that is not for you. What kind of info do you need regarding the ferries?

Old Aug 8th, 2000, 08:32 AM
Sandi

Kim, <BR> <BR>I was recently in France for a 14-day tour. One of my favorite stops was the Mont St. Michel. It is an incredible sight to see, especially at sunset. Have a good time wherever you might go. <BR> <BR>Sandi <BR>

Old Aug 8th, 2000, 08:34 AM
Beth Anderson

Hi, <BR> <BR>If you stay in Bayeux, you will be about 20-30 minutes from Omaha Beach, the American cemetery, and Pointe du Hoc (none of which should be missed). <BR> <BR>Do you have two full days in Normandy, or is the part of one day, the day you'll be traveling to get there (ferry, etc.) That will eat up a significant amount of your day, unless you really leave early. <BR> <BR>Day two - either spend it seeing the things you couldn't in Bayeux, or, leave yourself enough time to go to Giverny, about 60 miles from Paris and on the way to Paris. This is where Monet spent the last 40 years of his life. Many of his famous paintings were inspired by his home there. If you really have the time, about 8 miles or so from there is Les Andelys, which was Richard the Lion Hearted's fortress. also worth a visit. <BR> <BR>have fun! <BR> <BR>Beth

Old Aug 8th, 2000, 08:34 AM
benjamin chilcott

Dear Kim <BR>I don't want to be overly salesy, but I happen to know of an excellent bed and breakfast just near bayeux, that is run by a retired army officer who runs battlefield tours. <BR>Not only will he be either able to take you on a tour, but if you would rather go alone, suggest where you go, and suggest other things to do. <BR>Why do I suggest that this is salesy, well it is run by my parents. <BR>They can be contacted on [email protected] <BR>or <BR>0033 2 31 22 3909 <BR>I always go Brittany ferries as it is the nearest to Bayeux, being only half an hour away. <BR>thanks <BR>benjamin

Old Aug 8th, 2000, 08:49 AM
Beth Anderson

Hi Benjamin, <BR> <BR>Funny I should see your name pop up on the Normandy board so quickly! <BR> <BR>I stayed with your parents last May for a weekend, with a Kiwi friend of mine (William). <BR> <BR>We had a LOVELY time - your parents are great and I really enjoyed talking to your Dad. I am really interested in WWII history and he sure is a font of knowledge. I even snuck out of the house on morning at 530 AM to head to the beaches alone - that was definitely the best time to go! <BR> <BR>The Merville battery near Caen was also fascinating - I understand he had a part in turning that into a museum... <BR> <BR>I remember your parents talking about their children who lived all over, but unfortunately I do not remember names. in all it sounds like you have all had very interesting lives! <BR> <BR>anyway, nice to "see" you - hope your parents are well, tell them I said hello! I always recommend their Manoir to everyone who expresses an interest in Normandy. (tell them the little blonde girl from America, with the tall Kiwi friend if they draw a blank - they should remember!) <BR> <BR>thanks, <BR> <BR>Beth

Old Aug 8th, 2000, 09:45 AM
betsy

Hi Benjamin <BR> <BR>We stayed at your house in June and felt really comfortable there. There were nine men staying in your attic when we were there! We enjoyed talking with your parents who were very warm and welcoming. <BR> <BR>We are the Californians who tried to rewire your dining room so we could hook up to the internet with our laptop! <BR> <BR>I'll not forget the bread with chocolate chips that your mom served for breakfast. So good!

Old Aug 8th, 2000, 09:48 AM
kim

Thanks for all the great suggestions! We will be going in October (Oct 10 & 11 for Normandy). We will be on our honeymoon. We planned on taking the overnight ferry from Portsmouth to Caen and then picking up the car in Caen first thing in the morning, so we will have two full days. Of course we are doing the D-Day beaches & musuems, my new husband is a WWII buff and is excited to see the sites. As for the second day, we're still not sure. I would love to see Mont St. Michel, but I'm not sure we have enough time. How far is it away from Paris? Also, does anyone know where would be an easy place to drop off a rental car in Paris? Thanks again! <BR> <BR>Kim

Old Aug 8th, 2000, 10:24 AM
Tammy

As mentioned above, Bayeux is wonderful, don't miss the cathedral, or the tapestry. Bayeux is also an easy drive to the invasion beaches and American cemetary. Since your husband is a WWII buff, you might want to go to the Memorial museum in Caen. Also, don't miss Arromaches (Mulberries). There is also a museum there, but we didn't get there until after closing time. <BR> <BR>We rented and returned our car at Versailles and took the train into the city. <BR> <BR>Have a great trip.

Old Aug 8th, 2000, 10:45 AM
kam

Kim, another vote for Bayeux. Another very picturesque town in Normandy is Honfleur, a beautiful old fishing village. Rouen is one of the best preserved medieval cities in Europe. Its cathedral was made famous in Monet's painting. It is where Joan of Arc was burned at the stake and there are many references to her throughout the city but the prettiest is the new church of Sainte Jeanne d'Arc which contains beautiful medieval stained glass windows. Old streets with half timbered houses and lots of little restaurants. Rouen is less than 100 miles from Paris and an easy highway drive or you could return your car there and that about a one hour train into Paris--I would do that rather than drive into Paris.

Old Aug 8th, 2000, 10:58 AM
Beth Anderson

Hi, <BR> <BR>if you only have the car for two days, I would not try to get to Mont St. Michel - too much driving. plus a LOT farther away from Paris. Unless you gave up the idea of seeing the beaches that is - and personally, although I loved MSM, I would rather see the beaches and I bet your husband would too if he is a WWII buff. <BR> <BR>just my .02! <BR> <BR>Beth

Old Aug 8th, 2000, 11:46 AM
elvira

<BR>Kim: <BR>Make time to visit the other landing beaches; Michelin at one time printed a wonderful map of the beaches, with the landing spots and cemeteries marked. We shouldn't forget the Canadian and British soldiers who fought and died alongside our American men. <BR> <BR>In a documentary during the 50th anniversary of the landings, Dan Rather quoted the following, which says it all and still brings a lump to my throat: <BR> <BR>One day in June, when they were very young, they saved the world.

Old Aug 8th, 2000, 12:04 PM
Richard

Early May of this year my wife and I cycled from Grandcamp-Maisy to Honfleur, along the channel coast. Not to be missed re WWII, Pointe du Hoc, the observation bunker still intact, remains of bunkers, craters from bombs and naval shells and very quiet. The museum at Arromanches, models of the building of the artificial harbor, the "Mulberry" hulks still in place. We visited the cemeteries, American, Canadian and German, all very poignant. If time allows, the Bayeux tapestry is well worth a visit, rent the earphones.We rented a car in Deauville, stowed our bikes in the trunk and drove into Paris, a short but not terribly interesting drive. Spend more time in Normandy and take a train from a coastal town. When in Normandy, sample the cidre, camembert, and anything with cream. A special treat is moules (mussels) prepared in a number of ways. A pleasant aperitif is Pommeau, the Calvados will knock your socks off.

Old Aug 8th, 2000, 02:12 PM
Bob

We did the Normandy area this summer and then drove into Paris. I simply gave my Hertz car to the bellman at the George V Hotel and he called Hertz to pick it up. Your hotel may do the same thing. You should ask. <BR> <BR>Normandy was especially meaningful for me because an uncle I never knew was killed in France and I was the first member of our family to visit his grave. He was only 25 when killed, a recent college grad and great guy. It really put all those other grave stones in perspective.

Old Aug 8th, 2000, 11:28 PM
Myriam

We have been in Normandy for 4 days two weeks ago. We stayed in a hotel at the coast near Cabourg. We have spent one day to see the D-Day beaches, the museum at Arromanches, the American cemetary and strolled around in Bayeux in the late afternoon to free our minds of what we had heard and seen regarding the war sites. Although I'm "post-war" (I am 45) I was really very very touched by what has happened in the past. <BR> <BR>The next day we have spent our time partly in the towns of Deauville, Trouville and Honfleur and partly on the country where sometimes at the cheese farms you can smell the Camembert cheese. <BR> <BR>It will only take about 2 hours drive from Normandy to Paris on the highway. <BR>