2 days in amsterdam staying at the sofitel amsterdam hotel

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16th, 2007, 02:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how easy is it to get from the airport to the city? has anyone used the sofitel amsterdam hotel? suggestions on things to do within two days. never been to amstersam before and looking very forward to it.
Old Jun 16th, 2007, 02:56 PM

well, the Ann Frank house,
a canal boat ride
just strolling the streets, people watching,
enjoy the "native cuisine" which is a "rice table" meal at an indonesian restaurant.
walk the "red light district" with the billion other tourists

it is a marvelous place, enjoy your trip
Old Jun 16th, 2007, 05:30 PM

Take the train to the city. Easy.

I would stay at the hotel Ambassade.

Put Amsterdam in the search box above for answers on what to do. With only 2 days you'll have to be very selective and economical with your time.

Old Jun 17th, 2007, 06:55 AM
DAX

I particularly enjoy walking the canals on the western side, for example where Anne Frank's house and the Westerkerk are. Just walk a few short blocks west from the Sofitel and trace the canal southward towards the Damrak. Eat some Poffertjes and experience one of the brown cafes. There are two Sofitels, I assume you're staying at the one on Nieuwezijds Voorburgwal.
Old Jun 18th, 2007, 05:22 PM

We loved the Van Gogh museum and for two days in a row rented bikes from our hotel and saw much more of the city that way. Got to different art fairs and markets quickly. We also got out in the countryside on the bikes (got maps from MacBike} and went to the sea, and visted some charming places.
Old Jun 18th, 2007, 07:26 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I used the Connexxion hotel bus service from/to the airport. It was easy.

I spent 5 days in Amsterdam solo, just had one guidebook (Let's Go Amsterdam) and used the maps and suggestions to look around. Did not do anything formal or tours. Next time think I would include a canal boat ride as my one tourist activity.
Old Jul 3rd, 2007, 07:28 AM

I can assure you that it is very easy to go from Schiphol Amsterdam Airport to the city. There is a very good connection by train. It will only take you about 20 till 30 minutes to go to the city. A big advantage of going by train is that you don't have to worry about parking your vehicle. You will also arrive in the city centre.

Amsterdam is known by its many canals, which is the major tourist attraction in the city.

Suggestions for accommodation in Amsterdam: http://www.holiday-velvet.com/amsterdam

In the following link there is a very usefull blog about the canals in Amsterdam: http://www.holiday-velvet.com/directory/blog/blog.htm
Old Jul 3rd, 2007, 09:41 AM

Ann Frank House, Brown Pubs, French Fries with Toppings, Van Gogh, the Red Light District but I would not hang there too late so back to a Brown Pub.
Old Aug 27th, 2007, 10:27 AM

I stayed at the Sofitel on my last visit to Amsterdam. It is WONDERFUL. Good location, a great business center where there are no additional charges for anything. Beautiful lounge, helpful staff.