2 day layover in london

Search

2 day layover in london

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20th, 2004, 06:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2 day layover in london

my wife and i will be going to south africa in late march and have a 2 day layover in london. we arrive friday 9am and leave sat 9pm. i know we will arrive in gatwick and leave from heathrow. we have no clue what to see in london??????? i would like to bid on a hotel on priceline but dont know which area of london i should bid on? what could we cram into those two days we are there, and what kind of transportation should we use? thnka in advance for your help! jeffrey
Old Dec 20th, 2004, 07:41 PM

You might want to consider taking one of the hop on/off bus tours (www.bigbus.co.uk) to get a narrated overview of the city since you won't have much time. The two things I would consider "must-sees" would be the Tower of London and Westminster Abbey. Both are steeped in history and well worth a tour. You might even want to write ahead for tickets to the Ceremony of the Keys at the Tower for the night you'll be there.(www.hrp.org.uk/webcode/content.asp?ID=622)

Priceline is a great value for London. I would stick to the Westminster, Mayfair, Kensington or Bloomsbury areas to stay more centrally located.

If you're coming in from Gatwick, the Gatwick Express comes into Victoria Station. The regular train comes into (I think!) Liverpool Street station. From there, you will probably want to take a taxi to your hotel (since you'll have luggage.)

The Heathrow Express leaves from Paddington Station or the Piccadilly line of the tube goes to Heathrow as well.

If you don't do the bus tour thing, the easiest way to get around London is the tube or the buses. You can buy daily passes (www.thetube.com)

Old Dec 20th, 2004, 10:34 PM

Be sure to check biddingfor travel.com before you bid on Priceline. It will give you a really good idea of which hotels are coming up and also gives you bidding hints/strategies.

I would take the Gatwick Express (or Thameslink - depending on where your hotel is) train into central London. Then take a mini cab (that's a car service, nothing to do w/ Mini cars) for your trip out to LHR. You could book a car service from home -- but your hotel can hook you up w/ one they recommend. You really don't need to book the car until the day you check in or the next morning.

As to what to see - do some research on the London city guide here on Fodors. There are hundreds of "musts" im London - but which are musts for you, I can't really say. For some, the British Museum or V&A are musts, for others a michelin starred supper and Harrods, for others a photo op on Abbey Rd, or the Tower and St Pauls, or just about anything. In 1 1/2 days you won't be able to squeeze in more than maybe 3 major sites plus some general walking around and a play.

After you decide what sorts of things sound interesting we can give usrful advice.
Old Dec 20th, 2004, 10:55 PM

definitely train in from gatwick (no bus/taxi). also think about using the tube to get to LHR...it's pretty straightforward if you don't have a ton of luggage.

i would pick one museum and then some of the outdoor sites (west. abbey, buck palace) and maybe harrods.

i love to stay near gloucester rd. (kens) becaues a lot of tube lines are accessible from that stop.
Old Dec 21st, 2004, 03:33 PM

The Express trains are the easiest and fastest ways in and out of London, but check with your airline on the Heathrow Express. I just saw this posted on their site:

"From 1st December 2004, the check-in facility at London Paddington will no longer be available. Please check with your airline for further details.
We apologise for any inconvenience caused."

Not sure if that means you won't be able to buy tickets for the HE at Paddington, but you should check into it. It's much less expensive to buy tix in advance than on the trains.

As for inside London, check out the London Eye... it's a good way to see the city as a whole, and it's right on the Thames, so you'll be near Big Ben and the lot. Some people really love Buckingham Palace and the Tower of London, but I'm more partial to Trafalgar Square. It's more magical and is surrounded by amazing museums and some nice, if slightly overpriced cafes.

Have a lovely time!