Search

2.5 Weeks in Provence with a baby - Itinerary review

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18th, 2016, 07:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2.5 Weeks in Provence with a baby - Itinerary review

Hi,
I've decided to join the last 3 weeks of my wifes' maternity leave, and we'll travel to southern france. We'll arrive at Marsailli at 15.5, and will depart from Geneva @ the 5.6. We'll be a 33 years old couple with a 2.5 month old baby, and we'll travel with a car.

The last five days of the trip are finalized - we'll stay with Friends at Chamonix. We'll appreciate your inputs for the rest of it. We thought of the following itinerary -
1. ~6 days in St. Remi or nearby village - exploring the provence area.
2. 3-4 days in Grenoble or nearby.
3. 5 - 6 days in Annecy area.
4. 5 days in Chamonix [ closed].

As we'll be traveling with a baby, we want to minimize the places we sleep in, and prefer to go for short day trips - nothing too challenging, looking for nice scenery, short walks, towns and villages. Note that the Cannes festival will be at this time, so we believe it isn't a good idea to visit this area.

What do you think? Does the 'split' between locations make sense? Should we add another location at 'eastern' provence area?

We'll be very happy for any input, and recommendations for villages to be based on.
Thanks,
Avi
Old Apr 18th, 2016, 07:56 AM

Are you counting the day you arrive and the day you leave in the 3-4 or are those full days IN Grenoble? If it is actually 3-4 full days, Personally, I think it is a bit too long. We didn't find all that much to do and we didn't have to contend with a baby. My opinion only, you/others may think otherwise.

Enjoy, sounds like a nice trip.
Old Apr 18th, 2016, 08:12 AM

We know how it is to travel with a baby - we have done it with our twins. A rental car is an excellent idea with a baby.

I see, you take a leisurely approach to your trip. Selecting ONE base in Provence is certainly a good idea, and St. Remy would make a good base, because of its central location. Arles would be a good alternative if you prefer a town with more options for shopping and dining and attractions in walkable distance.

From St. Remy, you can do easy daytrips to fascinating places like Pont du Gard, Uzès, Nimes, Avignon, Arles, Les Baux and the small villages in the Luberon. Do not overplan, take your time and see what you can do. Use the orange or yellow Michelin maps for daily itineraries. And the Michelin Green Guide.
Old Apr 18th, 2016, 08:23 AM

You seem to like the Alps. You may think about driving the Route des Grandes Alpes which leads over the most stunning passes. Instead, you may skip Grenoble (which is down in the valley).

This would, however, require overnight stays at other places. A very good place to stay in the Alps is Guillestre, which would make a good base for the first day after you have left Provence. It is certainly worth two nights.

Courchevel would be another most charming place to stay. From there, you can easily reach Annecy.
Old Apr 18th, 2016, 08:29 AM

Welcome to Fodors.

We've vacationed for 20 weeks in Provence (without kids), and I developed a 30+ page itinerary that describes our favorite villages, cities, sites, scenic drives, restaurants, markets, etc. I've sent it to over 3,000 people on Fodors. If you would like a copy, e-mail me at [email protected] & I'll attach one to the reply e-mail We've also spent 2 weeks in Annecy and I have an itinerary for that area also. Specify which ones you want (I have others). do so soon - we're leaving on a mini-trip early tomorrow.

I agree with Deb about Grenoble - that's a long time there. We "did" the city in about 1/2 of a day. I would add days to Provence.

Also - Annecy & Chamonix are only 1 1/4 hrs apart - so you'll be in the "area" almost twice as long as you'll be in Provence. The Alps are fantastic - but there are more things to do in Provence, IMO.

Stu Dudley
Old Apr 18th, 2016, 08:42 AM

Avi, are you from Israel? Then, I understand that you love green forests and mountain peaks.

Provence is more arid, somewhat resembling landscapes in Israel. And, in fact, some of the archeological excavations show remains from the same Romans who have left their traces in Israel.

If my guessing is right (just judging from your name, because I have a friend from Israel who is named Avi), I understand your desire to spend much time in the coolness of the Alps. As said, Grenoble would not be my first choice there, but other places.