Itinerary help around Provence

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14th, 2015, 07:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are two couples (in our 50's and early 60's) trying to plan a driving trip around a 5 day bike trip we have planned out of Coustellet, Cabrieres d'Avignon, at the beginning of June. For the biking portion of our trip, we do GPS led day trips and return in the evenings to our inn at Coustellet. We probably will not bike more than 25 miles away from the inn. We would like to rent a car for about 4 days after the biking portion of our trip to either see more of Provence, the Dordogne, or ?? and then end up in Paris for 3 days. We would like our entire trip to be 2 weeks. We have been to the Loire Valley, Normandy, and the area around Cannes in the past and would like to see something different. We are a little confused as to what we can fit in geographically, and would appreciate any suggestions!
Old Oct 14th, 2015, 08:47 PM

Unless I am missing something, wouldn't it make sense just to stay in Provence for the 4 extra days with a rental car ?

Since you are "stuck" to a 25 mile radius around Coustellet, you won't be able to visit places like: Arles, Uzès and the Pont du Gard, Vaison, Sault, Aix, Cassis, etc. Certainly more than enough to keep you busy for 4 days.

Enjoy,
Kevin
Old Oct 15th, 2015, 02:13 AM

Search this forum for Stu Dudley. I have been relying on him since we both were using Prodigy, and have found his suggestions to be spot on.
Old Oct 15th, 2015, 06:03 AM

Kevin is right that the main attractions of Provence are out of reach. Pont du Gard is spectacular and so is Arles with its Roman monuments.

What you can reach:

- The hilltown Gordes.
- Le Village des Bories (stone huts).
- The ocre canyon near Roussilon. (You can combine these destinations in one loop ride.)
- The Fontaine de Vaucluse.
- The Monastery of Senanque.

At the limit are:

- St. Remy de Provence (21 miles) with Les Antiques, two wonderful Roman monuments and the archeological site of the Roman town Glanum, to be combined with Le Baux, a ruined medieval hilltop village in beautiful scenery.

- Avignon (24 miles) with its Old Town and the Papal Palace.

These will be beautiful bicycle rides through the arid scenery of the Haute Provence and not too steep. Buy a good Michelin map and ride the small white and yellow roads.
Old Oct 15th, 2015, 06:32 AM

I am presently in Paris, and limited to using my wife's iPhone (I dictate; she types) - so no long replies. You will see the upper Luberon valley (where Kevin lives) quite thoroughly on your bike trip.

I agree with Traveller 1959 & Kevin that there is a lot more to see in Provence. So just stay in Provence for your 4 days with a car.

Email me at [email protected] and I'll send you my 53 page Provence & Cote D'Azur itinerary when I get home on Monday.

Stu Dudley
Old Oct 17th, 2015, 11:23 AM
Original Poster

THANK YOU, everyone, so very much for your help! This was my first experience with Fodor's, and I am truly grateful. I will use all of your suggestions, and will be in touch with you, Stu, after you return. Hope you are having a wonderful time!