2-3 tour London to Edinburgh?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31st, 2018, 10:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone familiar with a 2-3 tour from London thru the British countryside that ends in Edinburgh. I know that Rabbies has an 8 day tour but we do not have that much time. Prefer not to drive myself. Any shorter tours?

Thanks.
Old Oct 31st, 2018, 10:40 AM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
It’s unclear exactly what you’re asking. Do you want 2-3 DAYS traveling between London & Edinburgh, then additional time there? Or do the 2-3 days include Edinburgh? Then what?

Trains run through the countryside. You could stop in 1 or 2 places overnight along the way. That’s what I’d choose, places of your choice. If it’s real countryside you want, local transport (buses) could get you out in it from your stop, or stops, if it isn’t where a train goes.
Old Oct 31st, 2018, 01:00 PM
Original Poster

Sorry about the lack of clarity... I was thinking that instead of taking two day trips from London to several places North of London, and then taking the train to Ediniburgh from London on the third day, we could take a tour that stops at several locales in England then ends up in Edinburgh. Once in Edinburgh we would spend a few days there and tour, if we wish. Hope that helps.
Old Oct 31st, 2018, 02:46 PM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
Well, I think you could just combine the 2 thoughts, by train making 2 stops on your way to Edinburgh, or 1 stop for 2 nights and venture into the countryside on the 1 whole day. It really would be quite simple to do but you’d need to do a bit of homework to decide where you’d most like to spend the time. Many people here seem to love York, the obvious choice, not my favorite English city. That’s the trouble with a package tour, you’d likely be stuck with “the usual”, unless that’s fine with you and worth it to skip the homework, perfectly legitimate.

It will be very straightforward to take the train, inject some spontaneity by visiting the local tourist office for bus schedules and head off into the countryside. Ride like a local! One of my favorite things to do and your fellow riders won’t let you go wrong.
Old Oct 31st, 2018, 07:20 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Short answer -no. Any tour hat did London to Edinburgh in 2-ish days. Would be awful. And I don't think thare are any.

take he train to York, spend one night, take the train on to Durham, spend one night, take the train to Edinburgh.
Old Nov 1st, 2018, 05:30 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by janisj
Short answer -no. Any tour hat did London to Edinburgh in 2-ish days. Would be awful. And I don't think thare are any.

take he train to York, spend one night, take the train on to Durham, spend one night, take the train to Edinburgh.
What Janis said.
Old Nov 1st, 2018, 06:33 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
what janis says.

easy to do
catch a train from Kings Cross station, if you buy the ticket 90 days early they are dirt cheap. seat61.com to understand trains, nationalrail links you to ticket companies.

York station is 5 minutes walk outside the medievel city walls, within the walls the layout is ancient, cobbles everywhere, old houses and a fantastic cathedral. By the station going the other way is the world's best railway museum (free)

Durham is much smaller than York and is based around a massive rock on which they have put a castle and a cathedral, lots of little shops and walks into local woods. The station is down in the valley but again only a short walk into town or grab a taxi. B& Bs in the old town, larger hotels in valley which surrounds the rock

You can arrange tours of each town

https://www.thisisdurham.com/
https://www.visityork.org/
Old Nov 1st, 2018, 01:33 PM

Obviously no tours like that or folks above would know! Yes take train to York and spend a few days there - can take day tour I would think from York into surrounding countryside like North Yorkshire Moors or Yorkshire Dales, etc. The only way to see real countryside by train. Book train tickets as early as possible to get discounted fares - National Rail Enquiries - Official source for UK train times and timetables - easy to do on own - www.seat61.com has lots of info on that too.