2 1/2 days to fill in Basque or ????

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14th, 2012, 12:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First and foremost, THANK YOU to those who responded and gave me some wonderful and exciting insights on what to see and do while in Bilbao/Basque. I am grateful for your suggestions.

Now, I kind of sort of screwed up my plans – I was too eager to get a special airfare to Bilbao. I will be in Bilbao from October 26th to October 31st. My flight leaves from Bilbao back to the states on November 3rd. However, the flight leaves at 7 am (Bilbao to Paris / Paris to U.S.). So, I have to be in Bilbao on the evening of the 2nd, which only allows me 2 nights somewhere else. I enjoy taking trains, and thought about taking a train from Bilbao to Madrid, dinner, spend the night and then back to Bilbao. But, that could be complicated. I’ve also thought about going over the French border and maybe to Lourdes. Any suggestions on where to go by train (preferably) or by bus that is somewhat of a departure of the likes of Bilbao/San Sebastian – someplace that has that WOW factor to it?

Peace and everything good to you
Old Oct 14th, 2012, 12:37 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
San Sebastian,Hondarribia, and St-Jean de Luz, all Basque immediatly come to mind. I would return all three of them any time I had the chance.
Old Oct 14th, 2012, 12:40 PM

The Basque country itself is a "wow" factor, so why not spend the last couple of days in San Sebastian-Donostia, with possibly a day trip to St. Jean-de-Luz by bus.

Lourdes would require a long day and private transfer or train. It's not a easy option.

Taking a train to Madrid, just to return to Bilbao, would be a sad waste of time.
Old Oct 14th, 2012, 02:04 PM

Seaside San Sebastián is 70 minutes away by bus, the culinary capital of the country. http://travel.nytimes.com/2011/08/07...pain.html?_r=0

European Capital of Culture 2016.
Old Oct 14th, 2012, 05:42 PM

Do skip Lourdes unless you feel it necessary to have another notch in your travel belt too far to travel and altho a religious mecca you can only take so many plastic statues(and I'm Catholic). SS will beautifully take up your time..Comb of the winds, just walking the esplanade, wine and pinxhos and pinxhos and pinxhos!!! A nice hostal in SS is Alameda 2* because it is on the second floor but there is an elevator.It is on a pedestrian street and very walkable to the train station..weather may be a crap shoot but whatever this is a georgeous place to stop.Be sure to have layers and probably a small plasric poncho. Weather be darned!! You will love it.
Old Oct 15th, 2012, 10:48 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your responses - they've been quite helpful. So, I am down to either San Sebastian (gracias Amer_can) or Zaragosa. At issue is I have a flight back to the states that leaves at 7am on November 3rd. I thought about coming back to Bilbao on the 2nd and staying near the airport. I can't find transportation that eaves San Sebastian around 4am to get me to the airport by 5-6am. Too risky? Come back to Bilbao on the 2nd and stay near the airport?

Peace and everything good to you ~