1st vs 2nd class

Jul 3rd, 2000, 11:46 AM
shelana

1st vs 2nd class

I am planning to be travelling in Europe with a friend for about a month, and am going to get a rail pass. Is it worth the extra money for 1st class, since we will be travelling for so long? (I am young enough to qualify for the youth/2nd class passes.) I'm wondering what some specific differences are.

Jul 3rd, 2000, 11:56 AM
Monica

From my experiences (France and Spain), the first class seats are somewhat more comfortable. There are more seats in 2nd class, therefore, more people. And in 2nd class, I think you'll find a wide diversity of people. I personally wouldn't spend more money on 1st class seats. I've been quite comfortable in 2nd class.

Jul 3rd, 2000, 12:19 PM
Thyra

Shelana, since you are young enough to still be in the youth/student pass group then I say save your money, get the youth rail pass and spend the amount saved on seeing the sights and stopping at cafes or just doing what you like to do. You will meet tons of other student/youth traveler's in 2nd class and you can swap hostle B & B info, etc. Having said that, my husband and I nearly always shell out for first class because we like to chit chat without disturbing other people and there is usually a not more space in first class but we are in our 30's.

Jul 3rd, 2000, 12:35 PM
Helena

The only difference I noted in my rail travels around Europe was that first class is air-conditioned in the summer, while second is not. Usually, that's not a big deal. There were fewer people in first class -- hence more room to spread out -- but both were doable.

Jul 3rd, 2000, 08:42 PM
steve

the standard advise used to be to always take 2nd class except in Spain where the trains were so bad that first class was necessary.

I did once take the 4th class train (recommended against at that time) from Madrid to Toledo and found it no problem.

I agree with the previous poster that you are much better off taking the lower class and having the money to spend on other things.

You will also meet alot more people in 2nd class

Search this Thread