Reload this Page >

1st trip to greece or scandinavia

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 7th, 1999, 01:31 PM
leighton ford

okay people here goes. <BR> <BR>i have been to europe only once a few years ago. did the tourist thing and tried to see as many different cities/countries as i possibly could in two weeks: paris, salztburg, munich, frankfurt, barcelona, milan, italian riviera, french riviera, switzerland, amsterdam. needless to say it was fun but other than a few classic moments, i felt that i shortchanged myself in seeing the true old country. now i have two weeks vacation and would love to maximize my experiences and pleasures. the question is whether i should go up to denmark and sweden and explore up there or should i head straight for greece and spend all my time down there. i am traveling by myself and am unsure as to where i should fly into greece. do i fly to athens, see the acropolis, head out of dodge and fly straight to santorini on an airplane and work my way up the islands and then leave from athens or.....need help. i suppose that if i go to denmark or sweden, i would fly into amsterdam and head north on the eurail. am i missing something or is this how it all happens. your advice would be most welcomed as i plan to leave next week. <BR> <BR>what islands should i visit, where should i stay, how do i get around, where should i eat, etc. <BR> <BR>thanks <BR> <BR>leighton

Old May 11th, 1999, 12:55 PM
melissa

Greece would be my vote! Spend a few days in Athens to see the sites and then take a boat to the islands -- I love Santorini. The Greek Tourist Board has a wonderful web site with island links (places to stay, things to do, etc.) <BR> <BR>Have a great time. <BR> <BR>Melissa

Old May 11th, 1999, 12:59 PM
MICHELE

Greece...more history, more variety, see the islands, spend a day or so in Athens (not the most beautiful of cities, but plenty of museums) MUCH less expensive, too.

Old May 11th, 1999, 01:44 PM
Beth

If you decide on Greece you should definitely fly into Athens. And yes, a day or two is enough time to see the city. You could possibly stay longer if you wanted to take day trips outside the city, which you could do via bus tours. Alternatively you could get a car and drive around the Peloponese to see some of the great ancient sites... Mycenae, Mistras, Tiryns, Epidaurus, Olympia, and on and on. Or you can fly to the islands, or you can island hop via ferry, or even cruise ship, it all depends what you want to see or do and what your budget is. Flying is probably the fastest way. I think (and someone can correct me if I'm wrong) that the ferry to Santorini takes around 12 hours. There are a number of islands much closer that are pleasant too, such as Poros, Aegina, and Hydra. <BR> <BR>Boy, I just read the part where you are going to leave next week! you sure don't like to plan much do you? Definitely pick up a guide book, and decide what interests you. then post again and we can help more. For more help on where to stay you have to give some idea of your budget and what type of accomodations interest you.

Old May 11th, 1999, 02:01 PM
lisa

I can only tell you what I did when faced with the same dilemma. I figured out how EXPENSIVE Scandinavia was compared to relatively INEXPENSIVE Greece and realized I could eat and sleep like a queen in Greece for what it would cost to hostel it through Scandinavia. Greece it was, and it was gorgeous. I think your idea of flying into Athens, seeing the Acropolis, and immediately heading to an island is right on. For an uncrowded, picturesque, reasonably-priced island, try Poros (this is different from Paros). It's a short ferry ride from Athens. Lovely people, good food, very picturesque, easily explored either by foot or on moped, one outdoor movie theatre with a different movie shown under the stars every night. Have a great time.

Old May 11th, 1999, 11:53 PM
Joanna

I have been to both and highly recommend either, but if time/money are problems the generally shorter distances and cheaper living in Greece puts it in front. If you do go to Denmark/Sweden why not land at Copenhagen Airport instead of Amsterdam? Would cut out some travelling time.