Reload this Page >

1st timer in Italy - Suggestions?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25th, 1997, 11:45 AM
Pat Edwards

My girlfriend and I are going to Italy in September. We were told to go to the Amalfi coast since we enjoy the water so much. What about Sicily? Can anyone share some experiences and/or tips for us?

Old Aug 26th, 1997, 05:10 AM
Marsha Johnston

My first trip was two years ago and the trip included Venice. Venice itself is worth seeing, but the ferries to some of the smaller surrounding islands is a wonderful thing to do. One island in particula, although the name escapes me right now as I am at work, was specatacular for sunning. I also heard from others on our tour that Capri is beautiful.

Old Aug 27th, 1997, 07:31 AM
jennifer

My husband and I traveled to Monaco two years ago. While we stayed based in Monte Carlo, we did travel to Portefino, Italy for a day and it was fantastic. Portofino is a very romantic, quaint village that has a few great shops and restaurants. We had one of our least expensive and best meals at a small Italian seafood restaurant there. Going there even for a day is well worth the trip! We drove 3 hrs. each way!

If you have an opportunity to travel along the French Riveria too, do it! Nice, St. Tropez, Monte Carlo and Cannes are all wonderful places to visit.

Have fun!

Old Aug 27th, 1997, 01:46 PM
julie

If you're headed down to the Amalfi Coast then you really shouldn't miss the island of Capri. I know that everyone says that it's just a giant tourist trap but the island itself is so beautiful that it's worth seeing. If you go, follow the rest of the tourists and take a ride up to the top in a funicula-the view from the top is spectacular but so is the view as you swing in the breeze while you go up and down the hill. Things on the island tend to more expensive so I would stay on the mainland and take the ferry or hydrofoil over. Also, no matter what anyone says, you can't go to Italy without visiting Florence. Hope you have a marvelous trip.

Old Sep 18th, 1997, 11:16 AM
JJ

You must see Capri despite the tourist trap that is is because it is beautiful and perfect for lovers. Also check out Ischia, rent a motorscooter and cruise the island!

Old Sep 23rd, 1997, 11:22 AM
Laura Syvertsen

I just got back from Rome and Amalfi. We took a car from Rome and drove down the Amalfi Drive to Amalfi. It was beautiful! We stayed at Hotel Santa Caterina, and loved it--real classy place, but a little stuffy due to the price and the other guests. The hotel was gorgeous, and so was the water.
One note about the drive--take a detailed map and don't hesitate to stop for directions--the road signs tend to point you in the wrong direction!
Enjoy! The Amalfi coast is like nothing you've ever seen!

Old Sep 25th, 1997, 01:04 PM
Lynn Valvona

My husband and I just returned from our 1st trip to Italy. We spent 4 nights on Capri and it was the best portion of our trip (also the most relaxing and romantic)! We originally planned to stay on the mainland and daytrip to Capri. We are VERY glad we did the opposite. When the "herd" (it was like cattle) of visitors were pushing themselves out of the ferries and onto the island for the day, we were going the opposite direction, to visit some of the mainland sites. Our hotel, Hotel Punta Tragara, was quite a splurge, but so unique, fantastic staff, and right on the point overlooking the Faraglione (beautiful rock formations). We did see many less extravagant hotels that looked very nice as well. Definitely make reservations in advance. We saw people who had finally crowded onto the island only to find that there were no rooms available! Also, eat at La Campanina, their ravioli are the best I've ever had. Good Luck!

Old Sep 26th, 1997, 06:30 AM
Lynn Valvona

I guess that I should clarify my above message. The daytrippers leave the island late afternoon when the ferries stop running. That's when it becomes wonderful to be staying there instead of the mainland! When you're on the island during the day, relax at your hotel pool or make your way to one of the beach areas.

Old Sep 30th, 1997, 08:19 AM
B. Becker

We just returned from the Amalfi Coast. It is very crowded. We stayed in Positano, which is lovely. The Hotel Plazzo Murat was wonderful and very romantic. We hated Capri. Filled with tourists and gas fumes. We also went to the countryside in Tuscany and Umbria, which was simply beautiful, less crowded but no water. We met people who had just come from Sicily and they loved it.