1st Time to S.Europe.Advice on where to go and blending travel styles

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18th, 2009, 07:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning on a trip late March/early April with another couple to Southern Europe. We aren't too picky about where we go because none of us have been. They have been looking at joining a tour and sent us several links. All I see are tourist trap stops inbetween cultural sitings with very little down time to take it all in.

We would go for 7-10 days and would like to either see or combine trips to Italy/South France/Spain. We aren't oppossed to seeing just one country, as we plan this to be the first of hopefully many trips. So we would like to see a few areas but not take a whirlwind trip.

Suggestions, tips, sites, or possible tour companies to contact. We're more the train hostel type people, they are more tour have someone do it all for you type couple. So I'd like to try and do a non-tour trip that is laid out nice and simple for our friends.
Old Jul 18th, 2009, 08:44 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Well, with 4 people a car makes a lot of sense but using trains and buses will add to the cost. Generally the period chosen will be less busy, sometimes cold and short days even so there are some great places to go to

The arc covers Milan, Monaco, Nice, Nimes, Avignon, Carcasonne, Barcelona. Historically this covers medievel, Modern and Roman. I guess you need some sort of theme, wine, architecture and food may be.
Old Jul 18th, 2009, 11:21 PM

7 to 10 days is not long I would strongly suggest you stick to one country to keep travelling time down. The alternative to stare at the highway through your windows and see little of intrest.
The above poster has suggested a car, but have you seen the drop off fees when you leave a car in a different country to which you have hired it from? Another reason to stay in one country.
Old Jul 18th, 2009, 11:32 PM

Before you go too much further with your plans, I think you need to get together with your friends and sort out exactly what you are all expecting from the holiday. If they like to take a tour but end up agreeing to stay in hostels and catch trains you may find that you aren't friends by the end of the holiday!! Likewise if you are forced to take a tour, along with the unavoidable retail stops.

You won't be able to visit 3 countries in 10 days, unless it's on the basis of "if today is Wednesday I must be in Rome" which would be a nightmare holiday.

You could spend 10 days visiting any one of the countries you have suggested and not see everything, so it's important to keep that in mind.

If you can choose one country and let us know, I'm sure you will get lots of help. However, you will probably get more responses if you put together a basic itinerary first.

cheers, Cathie
Old Jul 18th, 2009, 11:41 PM

You could fly into Nice, get a car once you are ready to leave town next day, explore the South of France (Cote d'Azur, Provence, Languedoc) for x days, return car near the border to Spain e.g. in Perpignan, and take the train for the short distance to Barcelona for 2-3 nights, and leave from there.
Unless you come from a very hot climate, it should be pleasently enough warm - though no one can guarantee fair weather.
Old Jul 19th, 2009, 02:20 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Point about drop off of cars is correct and agree that three countries is too far on the edge. But certainly possible to do two and come back into the first country for car drop.

Also you really need to talk about what you want to do. Going on holiday with friends is the best way of comiing back without them unless you agree what it is you want to do. We go with one other couple and need a task (bird watching, canal barging etc) to give us all a focus.
Old Jul 19th, 2009, 02:25 AM

I live on the Mediterranean (in Italy) and have traveled all over it.

At that time of year, Spain is your best option, and with that little time, you'll probably be happiest sticking to one country.

Spain is a very diverse place, and by visiting different parts of it you will encounter fascinating differences in culture (not unlike the difference between visiting San Francisco and Miami or Dallas in the US).

Were it me, I would focus on Madrid for a few days with train day trips (Toledo, Segovia), followed by a fast train to Sevilla for a few days (with a train day trip to Cordoba). Rent a car there to visit the Alhambra, then back again to Madrid to drop off the car and leave.

If you don't think you'd like Madrid or Sevilla (for instance), you could substitute Barcelona or San Sebastian (although the last is likely to be rainy at that time of year).

If your group decides it isn't interested in Spain, I would suggest sticking to cities in Italy or France, rather than rural or seaside destinations that are best enjoyed in warmer weather.
Old Jul 19th, 2009, 02:37 AM

hire a car - definitely
mind you the cities arent car friendly and the traffic is horrible ;car spaces not available unless you know someone who knows the city well- you can google of course

but certainly get a car for the country driving

tours
id not do
been there once
and never again
unless im ancient and lose my confidence
they sanitise and homegenise the whole experience
Old Jul 19th, 2009, 05:31 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all advice everyone. I talked to my friend last night and they agree that a tour would not be best but, they want to keep it simple and easy. I suggested we stick to one country. Our original thought was Italy but, Zeppole made a great arguement about weather. We are going to to think on it, do some research, and revisit our conversation again in a few weeks. We have a cottage trip coming up with 4 other families starting tonight!

Thanks all!
Old Jul 19th, 2009, 06:37 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I agree with sticking with one country since you have so little time. I've traveled Italy in late March/early April and the weather was fine (jackets needed at night, but not during the day), but we didn't go north of Florence. I would try to avoid Easter holidays.
Old Jul 19th, 2009, 07:08 AM

<B>I would re- read cathie's post, good points, maybe read it to your friends. Sometimes it takes a while before friends are really open about these things.</B>

A compromise is to an independent tour such Gate One's independent tours. They usually involve one or two cities max. They have the arrangements for the hotels & transport sorted out but you are not with anyone else you are on your own. But I would reserch their hotels choices and look them up om Trip Advisor & here for reviews first.

<B> Above all, make sure the location of your hotel is good.</B>

For 4 people it's not that hard to do on your own & you usually get to choose nicer better located hotels IMO. But sometimes these "independent" tour deals can save money because they include breakfast

In either case you would be on your own, but might enjoy a city sightseeing tour. There are a few companies here is one Viator nd I believe Pulmatour (sp?)
http://www.viator.com/Madrid/d566/to...nd-el-escorial

Sometimes having a day or 1/2 day with motorcoach day trip on your otherwise independent tour will give a break from being in charge for a day.
Old Jul 19th, 2009, 12:29 PM
ira

Hi SG,

>....as we plan this to be the first of hopefully many trips.... we would like to see a few areas but not take a whirlwind trip. <

3 countries in 6-9 days is leisurely?

Go to Paris for a week. You won't need a tour. You will enjoy yourselves. You will remember it forever.

What's your budget?

You could also visit Venice and Florence in a week. Or Rome.
Old Jul 19th, 2009, 03:00 PM

If you decide to visit Spain, in particular Andalucia, keep in mind Semana Santa (Holy Week) is March 28-April 3, 2010. Hotels will be more expensive and you'll need to book far (months) in advance).

With only 10 days I'd focus on one country, and at most 3 base cities. With seven days only 2 cities. Otherwise, you'll feel like you saw alot but didn't get to enjoy much.
Old Jul 19th, 2009, 03:16 PM

Easter falls in the middle of this period wherever you are in Europe, it is not a question of how religious a country is, it is a holiday. This will put prices up on hotels and flights within Europe for this week. Europeans get far more holiday than North Americans and so it is quite common to take a week of personal holiday days with the official days off. Because it is the major religious holiday in the Christian calendar some things will be closed. It doesn't mean you shouldn't travel then but you should factor it into your plans. Maundy Thursday 1st April, Good Friday 2nd, Easter Sunday 4th and many countries have a holiday on Monday too,
Old Jul 19th, 2009, 05:46 PM

In 7 to 10 days you should do 2 to 3 cities - NOT countries - or you will spend all your time on the road. (There's no way independent travelers can cover what a tour does - since half the time they sleep on the bus - due to getting up so early every AM - and few are willing to limit themselves to 5 minute photo ops at major sights.)

If they want a tour that's what they should do. Don;t try to duplicate it yourself - unless you take turns driving long hours on boring highways and miss many of the things you will want to see.

In so little time I would do one section of one country. (We have been to Andalusia twice - one 10 days and once 12 and still haven;t seen it all. And this area will have the best weather so early in the year.)