1st time to Germany

Dec 29th, 2010, 03:48 PM
Original Poster

1st time to Germany

Greetings,

I am just starting to plan a trip to Germany for 2012. I have never been abroad and wanted some ideas of places to see and things to do in Germany,

The only things I know I definitely want to do is go to my ancestors town of Schmalenberg which is just south of Kaiserslautern and I want to go to Berlin and also to the Neuschwanstein Castle.

Does anyone have any suggestions of where to start? Thanks
Dec 29th, 2010, 05:33 PM

You have three starting points already that take you right across the country. It sounds like you will be spending some time in the Munich/Bavarian Alps, Berlin, and Kaiserlautern areas.

Why don't you do some Web research on those three cities/areas and see what you come up with and then come back here for some refining advice. Plan to tell us something about your interests, days available, mode of transportation, arrival and/or departure points, preferred order if visiting, etc..

You have much work to do before really being able to benefit from Fodorite advice, Grasshopper.
Dec 29th, 2010, 05:44 PM

Just north of Kaiserslautern along the Rhine and Mosel Rivers are a couple of real medieval castles that you might want to check out:

www.marksburg.de
www.burg-eltz.de

Both of these castles are intact after 800 years. N'stein is no doubt the most visited castle in all of Germany but IMO the tour is much less interesting - it was only briefly occupied or used and built in the late 19th century - and it's quite overtouristed for what it is (thank Walt Disney for its notariety.) The tours I've been on there were very brief and were not very professional. It's also a LONG way to go if you aren't already planning to head that direction.
Dec 30th, 2010, 05:18 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Russ you have added 2 lovely looking castles that I will visit.
Dec 30th, 2010, 08:32 AM

Just wanted to "2nd" Russ' opinion of Burg Eltz and Marksburg. In my opinion Burg Eltz is even more picturesque than Neuschwanstein, plus it's a real castle. When visitng Neuschwanstein, tour Hohenschwangau castle ("next door")also. A mile or so from Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau is the Tegelberg cable car and luge ride (Sommerrodelbahn). "Mad" King Ludwig's Linderhof is also in the area and is even more spectacular inside (IMO) than Neuschwanstein. The Wieskirche is a must (again, IMO) while in the area. Between Munich and Neuschwanstein is Andechs Monestary. We've stopped there twice on our travels and it's a great place to visit for an hour or two. Beautiful setting, gorgeous church and very nice beer gardens.

Oh, we also love the old town of Fuessen and have stayed there on two trips recently.

Paul