1st time to europe

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 02:19 PM
Summer

1st time to europe

It is our first time to europe on a 19 day tour. What should I pack, see, eat

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 02:46 PM
Wayne

Summer---<BR>Before you get to those details, go out and get a good guidebook (Fodor's, Frommer's, Steves, etc.) on Europe in general, and another on any specific country that you think is of most interest, or most focus in case this tour is a guided and preplanned tour. I'm assuming you are making your own tour plans, however.<BR><BR>Also go to the subject headings in this web site and look up any cities, sights, or other items of interest. Find out what you can about the places that might interest you.<BR><BR>You haven't mentioned when you are going, and to what part of Europe. Europe is pretty large and very diverse. Obviously, you will arrive at some specific point, and leave from some specific point, and it will be at some specific time and date. You don't mention any of those things, so it's difficult to give advice on things like what to pack, see, eat, or do. You don't mention what your interests are, so I have no idea what to suggest.<BR><BR>Please think about your trip, make a few critical decisions about when you will go, where you will arrive and depart, and what your interests are. Then come back to this forum and ask for more specific advice. <BR><BR>The only things I could answer at this point would sound pretty smart-alecky. For instance, what should you pack? Answer: Whatever you plan to wear that is appropriate for where you are going. What should you see? Answer: Whatever interests you. What should you eat? Answer: Whatever is appetizing and agrees with your digestive system. I'm sure you get the point.

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 02:56 PM
Tom

clothes, sights, food<BR>

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 03:04 PM
jw

How about if I tell you where my friends and I went on our first trip to Europe in 1971? The map was pretty much the same as it is now but not exactly. <BR><BR>In those days our bible was "Europe on $5 a Day", my three-week trip cost $700 total. We used an Eurrail Pass, slept on several trains, and always lined up at the train station tourist office so they could find a room for us. <BR><BR>All of the above is irrelevant, now here are the places we visited (some for a day, some for three or four, we were young and flighty): Rothenburg, Munich, Berchtesgaden, Salzburg, Innsbruck, Rome, Lausanne, Paris, and Amsterdam. <BR>That itinerary was our first taste. (Visually but not literally -- we were so unsophisticated that we were afraid to eat anything except steak and fries.) Our eyes were opened; we were hooked. Looking back, I don't even remember how we chose our destinations. I think that the $5-a-day book was so entertaining and fascinating that we just chose from its pages. Now you can virtually visit via the net! Get started! You've got a wonderful adventure ahead of you. Affectionately, J.

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 03:07 PM
Inky

&lt;&lt;clothes, sights, food&gt;&gt;<BR><BR>Wrong. That requires 20 days or more.<BR>

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 03:08 PM
jw

Good grief, I just had a terrible thought. What if you are a troll, and I've opened myself up to countless snipers for nothing? I take back everything I said in the preceding post.

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 03:18 PM
Faina

JW, even if "Summer" is a troll I'm sure others will benefit from your post reading it later. I always check this website before going on vacation. Numeral searches helped me to make decisions even without posting questions.

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 04:41 PM
WhyBotherAsking

Ask the tour company. You're paying them, right? How the hell should we know?

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 05:36 PM
WhyBotherAsking

Ask the tour company. You're paying them, right? How the hell should we know?