Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

1st Time in Switzerland--5 days week of New Years. Ideas on Itenarary?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14th, 2005, 08:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Need some help on spending 5 days in Switzerland (Dec. 30-31 and Jan 1-3. We have a car rented. We will be driving into the country from Austria side. Looking for more of a country setting rather than city, but a central location larger town could work as well (not into hustle/bustle). Thinking about the Bernese Oberland area. Maybe Ticino or Valais. Quaint scenic villages with the real people and food. I've researched the Austria/Germany(Bavaria) leg of our journey, but not Switzerland. Have not booked a hotel, will it be difficult to find a place to stay with the holiday? Suggestions?
Old Nov 14th, 2005, 09:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Coming in from the Voralberg side?

Definately Appenzell and Urnasch. Appenzell is a town and an area of beautiful woooden houses with lots of tiny windows. It's located near the Austrian border.

See website:
Appenzell:
http://usa.myswitzerland.com/en/navp...ture-8789.html

Appenzell Demostration Dairy:
http://usa.myswitzerland.com/en/navp...ture-8859.html

You can then drive to Berner Oberland. Lots of info on BO on this forum. Use the search function.

I'd skip Valais and Ticino since they are too far away for a five day trip (unless the weather forecast predicts nice weather in that area.)
Old Nov 15th, 2005, 09:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, We will be coming through the Voralberg side. I checked out the websites and information on Appenzell. Excellent recommendation with the Swiss village atmosphere. I contacted the Idyllhotel Appenzellerhof and thinking about booking rooms there for stay. Maybe take a drive through the Bernese Oberland area. The Swiss scenery is what we are looking for and the real people, food and customs. With 5 days, will we have time for rail trip (Glacier Express or other)?
Old Nov 15th, 2005, 12:37 PM

It sounds like you really want to see Berner Oberland. I think you'll have enough time to drive there and enjoy a visit.

If there's snow, many places now rent snowshoes for trekking. Just a thought.

There are other people on this board who can advise you on BO. Please use the search function.

Tschüss!
Old Nov 15th, 2005, 12:42 PM

P.S. Check out the Switzerland forum on Trip Advisor. There is lots of good info there on Berner Oberland.