1st time in Europe going to Amsterdam

Jan 12th, 2004, 08:09 PM
Lu
Original Poster

1st time in Europe going to Amsterdam

I am getting some information for my sister inlaw. Her first trip to Europe. The hotel that was recommended to her is the Nieuw Slotania Hotel, near the Slotermeerlaan tube station. Is this a good hotel and if not any suggestions on a hotel in this area. Any must sees, or out of the way gems. I have alway received nothing but great advise from all. Thank you in advance.
Jan 12th, 2004, 10:33 PM

There are various daytrips that she can take from Amsterdam. The hotel that she will be staying in should have brochures else she must just ask them. The Dutch people are extremely friendly. You did not mention when she is going, but if it is in mid March to late May and she likes flowers then I would definately recommend going to Keukenhof. We went using the train from Centraal Station and then caught the bus which cost us E$20 in total.
Jan 12th, 2004, 10:51 PM

Don't know that hotel, but try to get a map of Amsterdam and look up the location; I do not think it is very central. Must sees depend on her interests of course; Rijksmuseum, Van Gogh Museum and Anne Frank house definitely.
Jan 13th, 2004, 03:16 AM
JonJon

Wherever she ends up staying (especially if she does not choose the hotel you have mentioned) and regardless of her "interests" I would suggest trying continuing with the idea of staying at some establishment which is on or very near a tram line or the Metro (assuming she is willing to use public transport) which will make a not-so-central location less of an "issue."
What is "central" to some in A-dam might seem absurdly placed for others. I always stay close to the Centraal Station which others consider too far removed..but with the trams and Metro most things are a short distance away.
Hope it all works out for the best.

Jan 13th, 2004, 03:18 AM
ira

Hi Lu,

You can get an interactive map of Amsterdam at www.multimap.com.
Jan 13th, 2004, 05:06 AM

This is about halfway between the airport and the city centre, between the Lelylaan and Sloterdijk stations. Public transport in Amsterdam is excellent (Slotermeerlaan is on the 13 and 14 tram routes), and the hotel's website claims it is only 15 minutes from the centre by bus or tram; but psychologically it's quite a distance, so to speak. I don't know the area but I assume it's a fairly standard modern residential-cum-business district, with hotels for people between planes at Schiphol or stopping over on business, rather than wanting the full Amsterdam experience. Frankly, I'd be disappointed to find myself there on my first trip when there are so many hotels within the more picturesque centre - unless she's getting the accommodation practically free.

Try http://www.channels.nl for more info on Amsterdam - you can choose an area to 'explore' with photos as well as info on hotels.

www.nieuwslotania.nl/ is the hotel's own website
Jan 13th, 2004, 08:12 AM
Lu
Original Poster

Thank you all. She is going first week in March. She was given that hotel by her friends because it was going to be close to them. I am sure she can find a more charming hotel, and not worry about the distance. Because of the wonderful transit system. Thanks again