Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

1st time Barcelona; help with a 2 week plan?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28th, 2000, 06:37 AM
clay

<BR>My wife and I are going to Barcelona at the end of March for 2 weeks. Can anyone offer suggestions for an interesting itinerary? We like good food, pretty small towns, the Sea, historical places, nice hotels & B&B's,& traveling by car. We're thinking about several days on Majorica. <BR> <BR>Thank you

Old Jan 30th, 2000, 10:00 AM

Spain <BR>Experts

Old Jan 31st, 2000, 06:39 AM
boris

<BR>Find an expert!

Old Jan 31st, 2000, 10:34 AM
Ivy

Hi There, <BR> <BR>My mother and i just got back from a week in Barcelona and we had a great time! It was gorgeous! I would definitely recomend getting out of the city a little though. We saw 3 fabulous towns that are very close by. <BR>We took the train south one day to Sitges. It is a beatiful resort town that is only a 40 minute train ride away. There are a bunch of little restaurants right on the water, lot's of cute hotels and a very nice beach. We also went north to Figueras to see the Dali museum which is definitely worth it! Figueras itself is also worth seeing, it's about an hour and 20 minute train ride. On the way back we stopped in Girona. You definitely have to see this town. It's beautiful! It has a walled city in it that is amazing, we couldn't believe our eyes! <BR>In Barcelona we stayed at the Rivoli Ramblas, a very nice hotel but if you are looking to be catered upon I wouldn't stay here. Be careful on the Ramblas (main tourist street) because we both had our purses snatched here. <BR> <BR>For a very authentic dinner at the oldest restaurant in the city you have to go to Los Carocoles, it is great! You should also eat at Cal Pep. These are defintiely 2 that you shouldn't miss while you're there. <BR> <BR>Definitely take a day to go to Montserrat, it's beautiful. <BR> <BR>While there you could easily rent a car but the train is cheap and very nice. <BR> <BR>There is so much more i could tell you, if you have any particular questions, please feel free to contact me. We didn't get a chance to get to Majorica but I hear it's wonderful. <BR> <BR>Have fun!

Old Feb 1st, 2000, 07:21 AM
claytonian

Thanks Ivy! We'll take your advice. <BR>Sounds like you had a great time!

Old Feb 1st, 2000, 09:02 AM
michele

Clay, <BR>My husband and I spent two weeks in the Barcelona area two years ago in early April. We followed the intinerary in Karen Brown's Spain Inns and Itinerary book (Costa Brava and Beyond route) and were pleased with most of her suggestions.(Some of the paradors were too far out of town for our taste, but all were excellent in terms of accommodations). <BR> <BR> <BR> We stayed in the parador in Cardona, went north into the Pyrennes ( had to make a hasty retreat south as a major snow storm blew in) and drove down the Costa Bravo staying in S'agaro. If you would like more details email me at home and I can give you the specific <BR>names of hotels. The one in S'Agaro was gorgeous, very elegant and not that expensive in early April. Don't miss MOntserrat. <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Feb 1st, 2000, 06:05 PM
clay

<BR>Thanks Michelle! I will.

Old Feb 2nd, 2000, 12:33 AM
Bobby G

Clay, <BR>Since you have two weeks, I'd suggest you spend five days in Barcelona, then catch a train to Andalucia and spend the rest of your time in that province. Majorca is, well, Majorca. Seville is good for two days, as are Ronda and Granada. <BR>Or, if you'd like to focus on the small towns and want more variety, try this: <BR>Barcelona: 3 days <BR>Majorca: 2 days <BR>Ronda: 2 days <BR>Toledo: 2 days <BR>Segovia: 2 days <BR>Santiago de Compostella: 2 days <BR>For travel, figure two overnight train journeys -- Barcelona-Majorca and Madrid-Santiago. Madrid-Toledo is 1 hour by train and Madrid-Segovia is 3 hours (or thereabouts). <BR>Spain is full of great B&Bs. Wherever you can, stay in a Parador (http://www.parador.es/cgi-bin/en). These are converted palaces and castles: they are beautifully preserved, very comfortable, surprisingly cheap and all have terrific food. <BR>Whatever route you choose, you're sure to have a great time. Spain's like that. <BR>Cheers, <BR>Bobby <BR>

Old Feb 2nd, 2000, 12:37 AM
Bobby G

Clay, <BR>I forgot to mention my favourite hotel in Barcelona: Hotel Continental (www.hotelcontinental.com). My wife and I have stayed there twice in as many years. It is very good value for 12,500 Ptas a night -- for rooms that include a balcony directly over La Rambla. Say the Ghosh family of Hong Kong sent you! <BR>Cheers, <BR>Bobby

Old Feb 2nd, 2000, 04:55 AM
Clay

<BR>Thanks Bobby! We're booked @ Hotel you've recommended.

Old Feb 4th, 2000, 06:55 AM
clay

<BR>Thanks yawall!

Old Feb 5th, 2000, 11:11 AM
clay

<BR>Back-for-more

Old Feb 23rd, 2000, 06:58 AM
billyg

<BR>Back for more