1st post, 1st trip, just want to say thank you

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17th, 2008, 09:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want to thank everyone, especially Sheila, caroline edinburgh and janisj, for all the invaluable information I have found on this forum.
I am in the beginning stages of planning our first trip. My husband and I, along with our two daughters will be heading to Scotland for three glorious weeks in Aug/Sept 2009 to renew our wedding vows.
Having never planned a trip like this before I was overwhelmed with all the things I didn't know about overseas travel. Because of this forum I'm no longer overwhelmed. Unknowingly you have answered my questions, including those I would have never thought to ask. Though there are probably more things I'll need to know, I'm confident that by the time our plane is ready to take off I will be well armed with all the travel information I'll need to have the trip of a lifetime, due to the generously shared knowledge of all on Fodor's.

Thank you so very much.

Natasha
Old Feb 17th, 2008, 10:12 AM

Hello natasha, I think one's first trip to Europe is the most exciting of all. And to combine it with a renewal of your wedding vows is extra special!

I had the pleasure of meeting janisj just a week ago at a Fodor's GTG. She is a lovely and fun woman. Did you know that she gives "packing" classes? She is given one in my city quite soon so we will have dinner together before her class. So if you need advise on how to travel well but without unnecessary items she certainly is the one to help you. Best regards.
Old Feb 17th, 2008, 11:56 AM

It sounds like you are planning a wonderful trip, natasha20! Three weeks' time will give you a great introduction to Scotland. Do you have a skeleton itinerary yet? How old are your 2 daughters? Our first trip to Scotland was when my daughters were 11 and 13. One daughter and I will take a 5th trip to Scotland this August - we've always gone in August/Sept and loved the weather.

Please post your questions - I'm always amazed at the depth of knowledge available to answer even very specific queries.
Old Feb 17th, 2008, 12:14 PM

just remember....

<i>The <b>traveler</b> sees what he sees. The <b>tourist</b> sees what he has come to see.

and

Half the fun of the travel is the esthetic of lostness

and finally

And that's the wonderful thing about family travel: it provides you with experiences that will remain locked forever in the scar tissue of your mind. </i>

have a wonderful trip, don't plan too much, enjoy the people and surroundings, go with the flow, and I gurantee you will end up with lifetime memories and so will your daughters....

Old Feb 17th, 2008, 01:22 PM

Can I ask why you feel the need to renew your marriage vows? We've been married for nearly 40 years and have never felt the need to do so.
Old Feb 17th, 2008, 02:42 PM

I must second what Natasha has said. We too are planning our first Europe trip with our teenage daughters for sept/Oct and after being recommended this site by a friend I am now hooked!! The wealth of information provided by fodorites is amazing and as natasha said many of my thoughts and queries have too been answered and I am feeling confident in all the bookings I have done on my own, and have had great fun researching. Thanks to everyone for taking the time to share their experiences to assist the planning of others.
Old Feb 17th, 2008, 02:44 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Thanks, Natasha. That was very nice.

We are here to help
Old Feb 17th, 2008, 03:01 PM

this is so true ..

&quot; Unknowingly you have answered my questions, including those I would have never have thought to ask&quot;

this really is an addictive, productive, enriching hangout.

Enjoy your trip.
Old Feb 17th, 2008, 03:27 PM
Original Poster

LoveItaly-How lucky for you. I wish that she were coming to my city but unfortunately I don't think that will happen,I live in Canada, because it would be an awesome help. I still haven't figured out whether I'm packing my wedding dress, shipping it or wearing it.

noe847-Yes, I have a skeleton itinerary. I'm almost finding this to be the easiest part as there are only a few &quot;musts&quot; for this trip. We really just want to follow where the road leads and see where it takes us and meet lots of people along the way.

AA-That is exactly the way I hope this trip turns out, a little bit of &quot;tourist&quot; and a lot of &quot;traveler&quot;. Enjoying every experience, be it our first round about, seeing Edinburgh Castle or getting rained on on the day of our renewal.

Auldykins-My husband, being the romantic that he is, was the one who told me that he wanted to marry me every ten years, and this was before we got married.
Old Feb 17th, 2008, 04:46 PM

natasha, Awwwwwwwwww. What a sweet husband you have!

Welcome to Fodors. Please let us know how your trip turns out.