Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

1st international trip--I'm a little nervous!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3rd, 2007, 02:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My daughter is in Florence for a semester abroad--lucky girl! My husband, 15-year old son, and I are planning to visit for spring break. We have tickets to Paris where we plan to spend one day and night. Our tentative plan is to fly Ryanair to Rome for a couple of days, then take the train from Rome to Florence. We will visit our daughter for a few days then hope to go Cinque Terre for a day and night. Then we have to get back to Paris to return home. This is where I get nervous--what is the best way to get from one place to the next and recommendations for hotels. Ryanair flys out of Paris Beauvais. Does anyone recommend a reasonable hotel nearby as we have an early morning flight. Also, I'm looking for suggestions for a hotel in Rome for one night that is convenient to many attractions and not too expensive. I know we are cramming a lot into a short time. Is this a reasonable plan? I am finding these forums full of info. Maybe someone out there will read this and give me some ideas.
Old Feb 3rd, 2007, 03:16 PM

YIKES! Europe isn't going anywhere; what is the hurry to cramm 4 of the most spectacular cities/regions in the world in 6+ days!? It is unclear why are you flying into Paris for a "Touch & Go" if your daughter is in Florence. I think you need to spend more time in Rome, skip Cinque Terre and allocate the time to see more of Paris.
Old Feb 3rd, 2007, 03:22 PM

You say your flight Paris-Rome plan is "tentative"...what I would do is fly on EasyJet to Rome which leaves from Orly which is MUCH easier to get to than Beauvais and a LOT closer to the city itself.

www.easyjet.com/en
Old Feb 3rd, 2007, 03:26 PM

You ask if this is a reasonable plan. To be prefectly blunt, NO! All you will remember is time getting to and from the airports and train stations and time on the train.

How many nights do you actually have in Europe? It looks like only 5 or 6. Certainly not enough time for Paris, Rome, Florence & Cinque Terre. I assume you're flying into Paris due to FF miles or a cheaper fare? If not, why aren't you just flying to Italy? Well, I see you say you already have the tickets to Paris, so I would just split the time between Paris and Florence. Still not enough time, with having to get back to Paris to fly home, but at least better than trying to do four destinations in such a short time!
Old Feb 3rd, 2007, 03:37 PM

Hello anddreap, I too would see Paris, since that is where your r/t tickets are and than go to Florence. I wouldn't try to visit anywhere else. Well unless you have enough time in Florence to take a day trip to say Lucca or Siena from Florence. I assume you are flying from the US? Which area of the US? You will all no doubt have some jetlag when you arrive in Paris. If that one day you plan on spending in Paris is the day you arrive you will probably all be a bit tired.

I would forget Rome and Cinque Terre..as others have said all you will be doing is getting transportation from one place to another. Best wishes to you and your family whatever you decide.
Old Feb 3rd, 2007, 04:22 PM

Here is another concept entirely- can your daughter join YOU, in Paris? It is much easier for her to fly there- one person, already in Europe-than three of you traveling all over, and from the US. I say this as a mom whose daughter studied abroad last year. If your goal is to maximize the amount of time together, I don't see where there is going to be very much of that by the time you arrive at her doorstep. Has she already visited Paris? If not, it would be an opportunity for her to see it, too, as well as be with you...On the other hand, maybe she has classes that can't be missed and your breaks don't align. In that case I would skip Rome, stay in Paris until she is free, and fly to Florence directly. Or, fly to Rome, and have her take the train and meet you there for a few days. Either way, definitely do not try to go to Cinque Terre- it's way too far! Best wishes!
Old Feb 3rd, 2007, 08:54 PM

This is not a reasonable plan. Too many cities in too short a time. Have her meet you in Paris or Rome.
Old Feb 4th, 2007, 04:08 AM

I was just going to suggest that your daughter fly to Paris but sglass beat me to it. I also speak as the mother of a daughter who did study abroad (two years in a row). In your plan you only have a couple of days at best with her and I know all study abroad programs are flexible enough to allow her that much time (and probably more) for her to join you. Since you've never been to anywhere in Europe then stick with Paris. People seem to think things are closer than they really are. If you look at a map you might reasonably think the Chique Terre is just a little detour from Florence - but it will take you hours. Same with the other connections. I STRONGLY suggest the idea of staying in Paris and having her come visit you. If that absolutely won't work for some reason then do a couple of days in Paris and fly to Florence - don't try to do Rome and Cinque Terre.

If you do decide to go to Italy I also second the suggestion to use easyjet. They have flights from both Orly and CDG to Milan. Milan is a fairly easy train ride to Florence, and by leaving from Orly or CDG you can at least spend your night before the flight IN Paris instead of way out near Beauvais.
Old Feb 4th, 2007, 05:58 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the replies--I think you are giving good advice. The reason we're flying to Paris is FF miles. I have checked into flying from Paris to Pisa on easyjet. I think that is going to work out and we will just stay in Florence with our daughter and venture out to Siena and may San Gimignana. Does that sound like a wiser plan? Your responses are helping so much!
Old Feb 4th, 2007, 06:05 AM

Good morning andreap, your new plan sounds so much better! And I imagine your daughter will be so interested in suggestioning places since she is now in Florence. You will have a beautiful trip I am sure.
Old Feb 4th, 2007, 07:01 AM
ira

Hi andrea,

Much better plan.

Can you arrange for 4 nights in Paris - 2 before and 2 after Italy?