Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1st draft 30 day itinerary Sicily - please review and comment

1) Depart
2) Arrive in Palermo - night in Palermo
3) Palermo
4) Palermo
5) Palermo –
6) Palermo - included in these Palermo days are trips to Sferracavall and Monreale

7) Rent car – drive through Mondello (21 min) then TRAPANI
8) Trapani - day trip to Erice and Segesta (suggest Segesta first)

9) Drive – stop at Salt Flats then Marsala – destination SELINUTE
10) Selinunte – archaeological park

11) Drive west to cava di cusa- leave luggage at hotel in selinunte Then – pick up luggage- drive to AGRIGENTO (possible stop along way in Sciacca

12) Agrigento
13) Agrigento

14) Drive to Ragusa
15) Ragusa – day trip to Modica, Noto, Scicli?

16) Drive to Syracuse –
17) Syracuse
18) Syracuse – visit necropolis ofPantalica via Ferla

19) Drive to Catania
20) Catania
21) Catania – day trip to Mt Etna

22) Drive to TAORMINA
23) Taormina
24) Taormina – day trip to Aeoleon islands

25) Drive to Messina ---night in Messina

26) Drive to Cefalu –

27) Cefalu

28) Drive to near Palermo airport – night

29) Fly to miami
Old Apr 9th, 2018, 10:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That looks prety comprehensive. But I would move one day from Taormina to Siracusa (by which I hope you mean Ortigia) and more would be better there. I don't think I would spend a day in Catania, either, and can't you make it from Taormina to Cefalu in one day? On the other side, have you considered visiting Zingaro National Park?
Old Apr 9th, 2018, 11:09 AM
Original Poster

Thursday - thank you for your quick reply and yes, it is our intent to stay in Ortigia.

Also wondering if hotel reservations are necessary in advance since we will be traveling at the end of September.

There may be places that we would like to visit on the way to another destination. We have read that luggage should not be left in the car. Is luggage safe if not seen?
Old Apr 9th, 2018, 11:15 AM

Zingaro is a MUST!
Old Apr 9th, 2018, 11:59 AM

Seems like a lot of days in Palermo - for me a few days was enough.
Old Apr 9th, 2018, 12:19 PM

Plenty to see in Palermo, and you can spend hours in Monreale (at least I did).

i used public transport so can't help with the car issue, although have certainly seen it discussed. I used a Rick Steves tour for part of my time on Sicily and buses for the rest, but friends of mine were there in 2016 using only public transport (links at the bottom of the page): https://meckleyearth.blogspot.com/20...ival-post.html
Old Apr 9th, 2018, 03:30 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
FYI-I reserved our hotels in mid December 2017 for our trip to Sicily in October 2018. Several hotels/bnbs were already sold out.
Old Apr 9th, 2018, 03:50 PM

If you want to get the hotel or room of your choice, then you should make reservations. You probably won't be stranded anywhere without a room but if you are reasonably sure of your itinerary then why not reserve in advance? Sicily is still popular in September. I spent a month there last September/October. And if you are planning on driving to most places, it's best if you find hotels with parking and check with them in advance for availability.

Unless you are really intrepid, driving can be a real hassle in the cities. Driving and parking in Taormina will be extremely difficult. In Ortigia, parking is only for residents so you will have to park your car in Siracusa, just across the bridge. A car will serve you well in western Sicily, but you might want to consider turning it in in Siracusa and taking public transportation the rest of the way,.

Unless there are things you specifically want to see, I would cut out one night in Catania and the night in Messina. I wouldn't even attempt to drive in either place. Catania is close to Siracusa so you will have most of your first day there, plus the day when you visit Etna. I'd also cut out one night in Taormina. Altho' it's very beautiful, it is extremely touristy, even in late September. It is small enough to be seen in the two nights you will have there.

Consider adding the extra nights to the area around Trapani, where there is lots to see.
Old Apr 9th, 2018, 04:27 PM
kja

Should be a great trip, dgunbug! Just a few comments:

I'm not much of a fan of the Baroque, but LOVED Noto -- do consider visiting it, no matter which of the other Baroque towns you visit.

I’d want more time in Siracusa, and yes, do stay in Ortigia!

By a day trip to Mt. Etna, do you mean to the top or to the vineyards? It makes a HUGE difference!

Taormina is beautiful, but can be dreadfully – and I mean TRULY dreadfully unpleasantly unbearably -- crowded during the day, even if off season

A day trip from Taormina to the Aeolians? I trust you have confirmed that it would be possible – but if you are going to Messina, I would think it far easier from there.

Are you fully committed to flying into and out of Palermo? If not, consider visiting Cefalu as a day trip from Palermo (it’s quite close), and returning the car in Siracusa. As panecott noted, the car won’t help much after that, and could be a serious impediment, particularly for Taormina. You could fly out of Catania.

Do consider making time for the Villa Romana del Casale – it is one of Sicily’s gems, IMO.

As for luggage – I left it in the car when I visited several sites and, with the usual precautions, I was comfortable with it. That said, it’s a personal decision about risks, and IIRC, at least one Fodorite reported, within the past 10 years, that she had luggage stolen from a car while in Sicily.

I think your time in Palermo is, if anything, a tad on the short side since you will be recovering from jet lag while there – but of course, that depends on what you want to see and do.

Hope that helps!
Old Apr 9th, 2018, 05:26 PM

Personally we didn't find it so difficult driving in and out of Taormina and Ortigia - we just had parking places reserved in both towns. And we are about to return for our second trip and have added a night in Taormina and taken one away from Siracusa (Ortigia). On our last trip to Taormina we only stayed two nights and spent a day going up Etna and then hiking to Castelmola. We went to the Greek Theatre the following morning, but I realized I hadn't seen Isola bella or some of the other pretty buildings in the town.
Yes the main street was crowded and a bit claustrophobic at times, but it was possible to escape the crowds. And in Ortigia I loved the cathedral and the market, and we toured the archeological site, but I didn't feel like there was that much to see. I suppose we didn't get to see the baroque towns, which we will visit on our trip next week.
It's always hard to judge what your experience will be until you go.
Old Apr 10th, 2018, 02:06 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your helpful responses. Thursday and siannuc- we looked into zíngaro national park and wonder what the appeal was to you? For the beautiful beaches or the hiking? Anything else I am missing?

We will likely add an additional day to our itinerary to be sure to get to Noto and to have time to visit Villa Romana del Casale. Thank you Kja for reminding me to include those spots that I had previously read about in trip reports. While ending the trip in Cefalu seems most logical, the flights in and out of Palermo are most affordable with the least travel time.

My husband is the intrepid driver...fearless to drive everywhere but in India! Palito o - your comments have helped to reassure me that the driving is possible. Of course we will try to avoid driving through large cities, renting when we leave Palermo and returning to the airport directly.

Happytrvlr and Panecott - we will heed your advice and look for hotels ASAP.

Any other comments and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old Apr 10th, 2018, 02:35 PM

For Zingaro it was the hiking and the views - I am really not a beach person.
Old Apr 10th, 2018, 03:14 PM

Looks like you currently have three nights in Agrigento and two in Ragusa. You could take one night from Agrigento and add it to Ragusa and that would give you more time to visit Modica and Noto.

Noto can can also be visited from Siracusa by car, ( it’s half an hour) or bus.

I agree that visiting Cefalu is much easier by train from Palermo than the roundabout drive you have planned.

My husband is also an intrepid driver. We drove everywhere with google map navigation. Of course there were a few tense moments but nothing we couldn’t handle. We didn’t drive in Palermo or Catania and I wouldn’t recommend that. It’s not even the traffic per se but your vehicle is a target for theft.

Catania can be visited from Taormina or Siracusa by train or bus. Etna can be visited from Taormina.
Old Apr 10th, 2018, 04:03 PM

Just a note on your day trip to the Aeolian Islands. There is only one ferry daily from Messina to Lipari, but numerous hydrofoils from Milazzo so if you are planning an independent trip there, you should plan to depart from Milazzo. The hydrofoil will also be quicker than the ferry. If you are planning on a bus tour from Taormina, it will also go to Milazzo for the hydrofoil.

Last September I went to a travel agent in Taormina just to check schedules and they convinced me to depart from Messina b/c the dock is right near the train station. (In Milazzo, you will have to take a bus or taxi to the dock). When I got to Messina I found out there was a strike that day and the ferry was not going anywhere, so I had to run to try to catch the bus for Milazzo, a few blocks away, which was leaving in a few minutes. Fortunately, I just made it. So, before you leave, check to make sure there is no strike.
Old Apr 11th, 2018, 02:54 PM

Dgunbug, here’s the link to my Sicily trip report which also references the planning thread,
It was SICILY for our special trip. I loved our time in Sicily. Had I had 30 days to play with, here’s what I would have done to get closer to perfection:
Added two or three more nights to Palermo and daytripped from there to Cefalu
Spent at least a few days in the Aeolian Islands
Visited the Villa del Casale on the way to Agrigento, staying in Agrigento for a night
Added a night to Ortigia
Reduced Selinunte to a night or two
Stayed in Trapani or Scopello as a base for Segesta and Erice

Good luck with your planning!
Old Apr 14th, 2018, 09:33 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions. Are there any other small gems or favorite places (cities, restaurants or sites) that we should not miss?
Old Apr 14th, 2018, 09:42 AM
kja

B&B in Ortigia: L’Approdo delle Sirene
http://www.apprododellesirene.com

Restaurant in Taormina: Osteria Nero D’Avola

Both still get some very favorable reviews.