17 days in the UK

Jul 13th, 2013, 09:44 AM
Original Poster

17 days in the UK

Planning a trip for 17 days in the UK- starting in London, booked for 6 nights,
ending in Edinburgh- booked for the last 4 nights of trip. Locked into the hotels-
Need help planning the middle of our trip- will be using public transportation. Enjoy museums, history, dining, local culture. We are an energetic couple, ages 61. Any help is appreciated. Thinking of trying to find a travel agent?
Thanks in advance. Kathy
Jul 13th, 2013, 09:49 AM

You can find out about trains at www.seat61.com and www.nationalrail.co.uk.

But as for deciding what you want to see in between - there are no end of possibilities. Start at least with www.visitengland.com and www.visitscotland.com, and see what takes your fancy.
Jul 13th, 2013, 10:02 AM

Heartily agree with PatrickLondon. There is just so much to see and do in England and Scotland, you'll have to find a way to narrow in on those "must sees" or "dos" for you. You might also read through some of the trip reports on Fodors - they are indicated by the orange book beside the posting. Might give you an idea what you do or don't want to do. Here are a couple of my reports, but there are lots to choose from. My focus is England. http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...-to-venice.cfm
http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...ent-sussex.cfm
http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...-cambridge.cfm
Jul 13th, 2013, 11:06 AM

How much time do you actually have between London and Edinburgh. You start out talking 'days' and then mention 'nights'. So do you have 7 nights free? or 5? or?

The easy answer would be York/Yorkshire for 2 or 3 days, Hadrian's Wall/Alnwick/Northumberland for 2 or 3 days then to Edinburgh. But there are lots of other options.
Jul 13th, 2013, 01:13 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your reply. I apologize for not being clear. We have six nights in London, and six nights that we have to decide where to go and what to do; and a final 4 nights booked in Edinburgh. So it is six nights in the middle that we are trying to plan for.
Kathy
Jul 13th, 2013, 01:14 PM
Original Poster

Thank you. I will look at these sites.
Jul 13th, 2013, 01:35 PM

I forgot to ask when the trip is - that could make a big difference.

But assuming not dead of winter and of course you might have other wants/wish list - this would be a great trip:

Train to Cambridge and spend the day exploring the city and maybe Duxford air museum.

Next morning train to York / two nights. Use one full day for the city of York and the other day to explore either by train/bus or by local tours - the moors/Castle Howard or Fountains Abbey/the Dales.

Then train to Newcastle and bus to somewhere along Hadrians Wall - there are lots of options. Spend one night/1.5 days exploring the Wall.

Then train to Alnmouth for Alnwick. Stay two nights. Alnwick Castle/Alnwick Castle takes a FULL day so you almost have to stay two nights.

If you don't stay the night in Cambridge, I'd add the extra night to York.
Jul 13th, 2013, 01:48 PM
Original Poster

We are going on august 12. Thank you for your reply. It is very helpful.
Kathy
Jul 13th, 2013, 01:52 PM

We loved York. We spent two nights and didn't get a chance to go to Castle Howard but we loved what we did in York. The Castle Museum is great. We enjoyed walking on the walls, the York Minster and the railway museum--all fabulous. We also enjoyed a ghost walk at night. We highly recommend York.
Jul 13th, 2013, 01:54 PM

If 60 and over you can buy a Senior BritRail Pass and if traveling on more than a few trains it may be a good deal - but it is only in first class the senior rate - in my decades of British rail travel I can say that first class is way way more comfy than standard class - much much bigger seats - lots more empty seats - I always find room for my bags on a seat next to me and on many long-distance trains you also get complimentary beverages and snacks and free Wii on some (not sure if Wii is free in standard class but think not - a pass lets you hop any train anytime.
For lots of great stuff on British trains check out these IMO fantastic sites - www.seat61.com - click on his site's commercial link to Rail Europe US (if in the U S) for BritRail Pass prices; and http://www.budgeteuropetravel.com/id11.html and www.ricksteves.com - the latter two more oriented to American tourists.
Jul 13th, 2013, 04:42 PM

I think PQ means WiFi, not Wii.
Jul 14th, 2013, 09:07 AM

Yes WiFi, not Wli!
Jul 14th, 2013, 01:47 PM

It depends on your interests.

For example North Wales has a lot of great castles and gorgeous scenery.
The Cotswolds have lovely scenery and charming towns.

There are some marvelous cathedral towns that you could stop at/detour to - on your way north:
Ely (combine with Cambridge).
Durham (combine with Hadrian's Wall area).

Also on your way north, the Lake District has lovely scenery
and could be combined with Hadrian's wall.

Since you are taking public transport, it would be best to see what sight-seeing options combine the most efficiently with public transport options. This will require some research into train and bus schedules.
Jul 14th, 2013, 03:06 PM

Yes indeedy - go to Bath, then the Lake District and Hadrian's Wall to Edinburgh. Great rail links if not driving.
Jul 16th, 2013, 01:52 PM

Or skip Bath and head to North Wales then the Lake District, Hadrian's Wall (Hexzham a great base for this) and onto Scotland.
Jul 20th, 2013, 10:07 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions. I have decided to go from London to Bath for two nights- trying to figure out next steps via public transport!
Kathy
Jul 20th, 2013, 03:56 PM

Bath Spa to the Lake District is an easy train ride - to Windermere, the railhead for the Lake District - from there open-top dobuble-decker buses scoot frequently all around the famous sites of the Lake District (hop on hop off and regular buses too.
Jul 24th, 2013, 07:32 AM

a good base for North Wales, which can also easily be incorporated into a circular train trip London to Scotland via the West Coast Line - a good base is Llandudno, especially for those wishing inexpensive B&B lodging - there are zillions of B&Bs - some right near the train station. And there are great rail and bus links to so so many neat places - Conwy and its castle and town walls, Mt Snowdon and its steam train, the Conwy Valley - Caernarfon and its famous castle, seaside Beaumarias Casstle - the castle of your dreams - and even Shrewsbury over in England