16th Birthday trip to Spain

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27th, 2008, 01:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My sweet son just turned 16, I'm thinking of taking him to Spain for his 16th BD. I told him we'd try and find an adventure/culture trip from the folks at Fodors. Were would you send us and when would you send us, we have the next 10 months to do it. I live in the Northeast and he's very athletic, and I could probably swing 8 days. He'd probably rather go with his school as he's in spanish 3, but they don't have that trip planned, plus I'd like to spend some time with him.

thanks for taking the time to post

Old Jun 27th, 2008, 03:01 PM

10 months should be sufficient to plan for this adventure. The date would put you into the late spring, so you have several great options since this is one of the best times to visit just about anywhere in Spain.

Since you’ve mention he's athletic, if he's also interested in the great outdoors, then you can consider visiting the Pyrenees, or the Picos de Europa. Both offer a world of adventure for anyone interested in hiking, trekking, rafting, mountain biking, etc, but there is also the historical significance involved in such a trip.

The Catalan Pyrenees includes some 80 historic Romanist churches, while the Picos de Europe, the first sight of land for the early Spanish sailors returning from the "new world", is steeped in history, beginning with Covadonga, the birthplace of Christian Spain and its battles against the Moorish invaders, which began the process of re-conquest of the Iberian Peninsula in the tenth century.

There are other options, but you may want to do a little more research on the subject and work work with someone familiar with what you want to do in Spain. Someone who can put together a reasonable itinerary.

You might also check out Mariel's Guides for a little more information and reflection on the different areas of Spain she has written about over the years.
Old Jun 27th, 2008, 05:48 PM

>>we have the next 10 months to do it.<< I gather that you could go anytime within the next 10 months. I would pick the late Spring in Andalucia; National Park Dona Donana. Great springtime blooming season, bird watching while enjoying terrific trails.

Have fun! It already sounds like a great plan!
Old Jun 27th, 2008, 06:22 PM
Original Poster

hey Robert 2533, so glad to see your weighing in. And thanks to all who take the time. This is getting exciting, I do think April school vacation will be the way to go. Should be looking at colleges then and not spain, but it'll work out. Can't wait to check out some of these ideas
Old Jun 28th, 2008, 10:32 AM

Ok, here are some more ideas. I think Andalusia is amazing. You can take him skiing in the Sierra Nevadas, you can go see a bull flight (though not my thing) in Seville or Granada, and I would think a 16 year old would still find the Alahambra cool.

My other vote would be for Barcelona which is fun, young, hip, with plenty to do.