16th/17th Arr. Area Question

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2nd, 2005, 01:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Am considering an apartment rental on the Ave Marbeau between the Bois de Bolougne and Avenue Foch. Can anyone tell me about this area day and night? Cafes, markets, etc. One guidebook stated that after dark the Avenue Foch was populated with muggers and hookers and, as I live outstide Los Angeles, I can get that here.
Old Sep 3rd, 2005, 07:29 AM
ira

ttt
Old Sep 3rd, 2005, 09:01 AM

Put the address in the pages jaunes site and walk up and down the street for a start.
Old Sep 3rd, 2005, 12:08 PM

Raising this in case BTilke sees it... has stayed in the 16th quite a bit.

My "impression" is that those incidents do relate to the Bois de Bologne after dark... but my understanding is that the 16th is quite upscale, and I can't imagine such an element would be tolerated there.

I've stayed in the 17th by Villiers and saw nothing of the kind; have read quite a few posts/reports from people who stayed in the 17th by Porte Maillot and never mentioned anything like that.

There is a red-light type area around rue St Denis, close to les Halles, totally different arrondissement though.

If you search Google with 'Btilke fodors', you'll get some of the messages which may convey more information about the 16th.
Old Sep 3rd, 2005, 12:09 PM

Oh - also I suggest that you post the question on the Paris forum at Tripadvisor. There are Parisians who respond on that board who most like can help you out.
Old Sep 3rd, 2005, 02:13 PM

First, there isn't an Avenue Marbeau. There is a rue Marbeau and a Blvd. Marbeau (surprisingly, the Blvd. Marbeau is just a tiny little street).
This would not be my favorite part of the 16th. I don't think you'd have to worry about muggers so much as being in kind of a dead zone--there is a lot of traffic near there heading for the peripherique and it doesn't have the lovely neighborhood feel of say, Passy/Trocadero, the Place Victor Hugo area or Auteuil. However, there are some cafes and restaurants around there and also along the Ave. de la Grande Armee. I've never been to any of them, so don't have any info.

If you would like to stay in the 16th (I do love this arrond. and recommend it highly), I would stick to the neigborhoods I mentioned above (and perhaps also the rue de la Pompe neighborhood, but I don't spend much time there so don't know it as well).

In 2001, I spent a week in the Villiers neighborhood near the street market. It was nice enough but just didn't do anything for me and I have no interest in staying there again.
Old Sep 3rd, 2005, 08:57 PM

We stayed in the 16th but on rue de Longchamp which is near Ave. Victor Hugo. I would suggest the 16th more than the 17th which we didn't like.