16DAYS STARTING OCT 3RD.

Jul 28th, 2006, 09:01 AM
Original Poster

16DAYS STARTING OCT 3RD.

We will be Ireland for 16days and I do not know what to pack? All info I have state the high is 57 and the low is 43. Also how much driving time do you think we will have each day ( only want to drive in day light)? We are going US Air out of Philadelphia and would like to know how many bags we are each to take? How much both bags are to weight?
Jul 28th, 2006, 11:04 AM

1. Check out http://www.weatherbase.com for temperature and precipitation information. I lived in Edinburgh for a year and remember October being cloudy, rainy and sunny. I imagine that Ireland would be similar. Your best bet is to take clothes you can layer.

2. I can't advise about driving time.

3. Call the airline or your travel agent about the number of bags and the weight. This information might also be on your ticket. Only the airline can answer this question.
Jul 28th, 2006, 11:59 PM

SO Philly, what to pack:
#1 Raincoats or windbreakers with some waterproofing!

#2 your favorite over-the-counter cold medications, preferably in pill form. In Ireland the grocery stores don't have that many choices of meds. You have to go to a chemist or pharmacy, where the meds are behind the counter, and they aren't labelled the same as they are in the USA, and you have to ask the person working behind the counter for them, who will then have to go back and consult the pharmacist if the question is too complex. Very different from here in the USA where we just head into the grocery store and read the label ourselves! We had a lot of trouble trying to get the same meds we are used to at home.

#3 My advice on driving time for each day is to consult AA Roadwatch web-site. If you want lots of time for site-seeing, don't plan to drive more than 4 hours each day (which multiplies into 8 hours by the time you add in lunch, site-seeing stops, photo stops, shopping stops, etc.!)

Have fun!
Jul 29th, 2006, 06:15 AM

The weather will be changeable, so pack things you can layer..and then add and subtract layers as needed. T-shirts, long-sleeved Ts, fleece pullover, windbreaker, and raincoat.

I spent some late November time in Ireland and did not take my Pennsylvania winter coat. I did fine with the fleece pullover and the rain parka...and sometimes the great wool sweater that I bought over there.

The days will be growing shorter while you there, but you'll have about as much daylight time as you'd have in the eastern US.
Jul 29th, 2006, 07:50 AM

The closest I came to Oct 3-19 was 2001 when my trip had to be delayed until 21 Sep because of 9/11. I was there until the beginning of October. Weather in Mayo & Clare was great! I played golf at Carne Golf links near Belmullet and Spanish Point in County Clare: wished I had brought shorts. In 1998 I visited Limerick in mid-November - the weather was very stormy (wind & rain). So I guess mid-Oct - mid Nov is a transition month for weather.

Take at least one raincoat: I carry an Eddie Bauer hooded nylon rain parka and another hooded rain jacket. I also take a pair of waterproof Nike Hikers for footwear.

I think US Airways allows 2-checked pieces per person. I try to minimize what I check because TSA Broke the locks on one of my bags, effectively trashing an expensive piece of luggage. Homeland Security in Action!

I'm in Phila. too: Northeast Philly, that is.
Jul 31st, 2006, 06:47 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Pavfec, Nedsireland, MaryZ, Melissa5.

I need more info!
I will be spending 16 days in Ireland and would like peoples feedback on the following hotels, B & B's, gueshouse that we have booked.

10/3 Laragh Guest House, Kilkenny
10/4-5 Sea Brezzee, Kindale
10/6 Bunratty Villa
10/7-8-9 Ocean Crest House, Salthill,Galway
10/10 Nothing booked in Ballyshannon
10/11-12-13 Nothing booked for Letterkenney
10/14 - 15 Belfast staying with friends.
10/16-17-18 Holiday Inn, Dublin
10/19 Home
Jul 31st, 2006, 07:38 AM

If you intend to do any walking, take some packable rain pants. As far as medications, take airborne tablets. Since using them, I haven't gotten sick on a trip. I've started to feel something and then took the tablets. It really seems to work.

Bill