15 night first/last trip to Italy--please comment

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9th, 2018, 07:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are two seniors for whom this will be our only trip to Italy. I still can't believe I'm in that category, but that's the way it is. We are very active, though, and I want to see everything, reasonably, that I can. However, I am very open to suggestions. Although we do plan to visit churches and museums, my husband is only going to go to so many, so I may visit some while he has coffee/wine nearby. We like the famous things but also the out-of-the-ordinary.

We will arrive in Rome on Saturday,May 5 and fly home from Venice on Sunday,May 20, so a total of 15 nights. Plane and train tickets to Salerno, Florence and Venice have been purchased, but side trips are all open.

Rome, arrival at 7:15 AM (if plane on time)--4 nights. On the average, how long does it take to go through customs? We're taking only carry-on luggage and planning to take the Leonardo Express to our hotel (actually, a convent in the Monti District). Will a taxi be better? I've purchased tours for the Vatican (on Tuesday) and the Colleseum/Forum/Palantine Hill (on Monday), as well as a 2hr. Welcome to Rome tour the
Saturday evening we arrive. I'd also like to do a Catacombs tour (the one I'm considering includes the Catacomb of Santa Priscilla, the Capuchin bone crypt, and Basilica of San Nicola in Carcere. If you've done this, is it worth $174.08?

Early train to Salerno--4 nights--
We arrive in Salerno at 9:00 AM--Things to/Places to see: Paestum, Pompeii, Amalfi, Ravello, Positano, Isle of Capri with tentative itinery: Day 1 arrival, so at least a good 1/2 day: Paestum
Day 2: Isle of Capri-hopefully, weather will cooperate, but if not, we'll go first day weather permits. We have no qualms about touring in rain, but understand the ferries won't go if choppy sea.
Day 3: Ferry to Positano then take bus back with stops in Amalfi and Ravello, maybe Vietre sul Mare???
Day 4: Positano
If it appears the weather will be good both days 3 &4, we'll switch those sites.

Train to Florence (arrival around noon--4 nights with possible day trip to Pisa and Lucca or Siena. Very open to thoughts and advice here.

Early train to Venice--3 nights

Thank you in advance for any comments or suggestions.
Old Feb 9th, 2018, 08:17 AM

Just a word about trains (your itinerary sounds perfect) - book far in advance at Acquista il biglietto con le nostre offerte - Trenitalia or www.italotreno.com for discounted tickets - much cheaper than full fare walk up tickets but also non-changeable non-refundable. Other sources good train info - www.seat61.com - sage advice on discounted tickets; BETS-European Rail Experts and ricksteves.com.

Salerno is a nice city but far from Pompeii and Capri and Positano/Ravello/Amalfi. Many here rave about Positano - maybe base there and stay last nights in Salerno.
Old Feb 9th, 2018, 09:40 AM

Do you really think you'll be up for an evening tour of Rome on the day of your arrival?
Old Feb 9th, 2018, 09:47 AM
mjs

Agree with St Cirq. Think your time is a little short for Rome but otherwise timing is good. Why Salerno as opposed to Sorrento or the A Coast which is where you are spending most of your time in that area.
Old Feb 9th, 2018, 10:48 AM

Florence day trips- Pisa for the Tower great - Lucca is a nice old town but for one of those iconic Tuscan hill towns take the short cheap bus ride to Siena.
Old Feb 9th, 2018, 11:22 AM

From your other threads, I am presuming you are from the U.S. I commented based on this assumption.

>> How long does it take to go through customs?
The customs portions is a five-second event if you have nothing to declare. What takes time in your case if the passport control. It totally depends on how many other planes landed around that time with people going through non-EU passport holder line.

>> planning to take the Leonardo Express to our hotel (actually, a convent in the Monti District). Will a taxi be better?
Better in what sense?
Leonardo express is 14EU each. If you can walk (you have not stated where your convent is) that is the totality of the expense. If up the hill or far from the Termini, you need to take a taxi on top of that.
If you take a taxi from the airport, it is fixed cost 48EU.
Taxi - Aeroporti di Roma

>>> Ferry to Positano then take bus back with stops in Amalfi and Ravello, maybe Vietre sul Mare???
This would be a one tough itinerary to execute with public transit alone.

On item you did not ask and too late to something about this time. I mention this for the benefit of others doing a similar thing in the future.

>>> Rome, arrival at 7:15 AM … planning to take the Leonardo Express to our hotel
Can you check-into your convent in the morning? You would like to have to leave your luggage somewhere and hit the city with what you flew into Rome or get change somewhere like a bathroom. An alternate would have been to skip Rome upon landing since you are getting there so early. Travel straight to Salerno to take care of that segment. You could have gotten 2 for 1 benefit. Stay in Rome between Salerno and Florence.

>> fly home from Venice
If you are flying back to U.S. without layover from Venice, the flights are probably late morning or in the afternoon. If, however, if you need to layover in Europe before heading home, your Venice departure might be very early. Very early departure from Venice is tougher to deal with than from Rome due to need to use a slow or expensive water transportation unless you are staying near Piazzale Roma. What this means is that for those coming from the U.S. needing to layover in Europe on the way home, VCE departure needs to be thought out before hitting that “buy” airfare button.
Old Feb 9th, 2018, 11:45 AM

">> How long does it take to go through customs?
The customs portions is a five-second event if you have nothing to declare. What takes time in your case if the passport control. It totally depends on how many other planes landed around that time with people going through non-EU passport holder line."

I meant to address this, but forgot and greg beat me to it. I will never understand why Americans, and it is only Americans, refer to "customs" as if it were the equivalent of going through passport control. Were they once upon a time combined? No one who doesn't have anything to declare, which is the vast majority of travelers, has to be pulled aside by Customs officials. Everyone who enters a foreign country has to go through an immigration and passport control line. That is what eats up time. Especially for travelers from the USA who arrive in major European airports early in the morning when dozens of other flights arrive at the same time.

I agree that those early morning departures from Venice can be a big PITA.
Old Feb 9th, 2018, 12:01 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Do you have your hotels yet? I've only been to Venice (twice) and loved Pensione La Calcina there. Hotel La Calcina Venice Official Site | Hotel La Calcina Venice 3 Star

With only 4 days in Rome, I personally would not schedule 4 different tours or try to fill all your days in advance. I would want time to walk around on my own and do spontaneous things as well.
Old Feb 9th, 2018, 12:22 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for your replies. Yes, we are flying to Rome out of JFK and back from Venice into Philadelphia. The flight out of Venice leaves at 12:10 PM. I can't imagine I won't be up for a short evening tour on the day we land in Rome. My husband might have another answer, but I'm always "sitting on go!" It begins at 6:00 and lasts only 2 - 2.5 hrs. If we don't do the tour, I still plan for us to be walking around, etc. He can take a short nap before we go.

I picked Salerno after reading a blog by Walks of Italy regarding what a good base Salerno is for sightseeing on the Almalfi Coast. However, since reading your reply, I've booked a centrally located hotel in Amalfi for at least 3 nights. When I can (hopefully) figure out the bus schedules, we'll either stay there for the 4th night or, as you suggested, go to Salerno. I can cancel in the next 23 hrs., so if you think this is not a good idea, please let me know as soon as possible. With the change in hotel lodging, will it now be possible to visit Positano and Ravello on the same day---although, I guess, since we're going to be so near we can visit Ravello most any time we have some extra time??? BTW, my original draft itinerary did call for us to arrive in Rome and immediately take the train to Salerno for 4 nights before heading back to Rome for our stay there. I changed because several people on another message board could not understand why I would do that. I changed boards because some posters tended to get a little cranky if their suggestions weren't followed to the letter.

The convent is on Via Sistina 113 and, although I am not certain, I don't think it is a long way from Stazione Termini. In fact, the directions say to take the Leonardo Express. However, it doesn't tell me what to do after that. They will allow us to leave our luggage.

Regarding Pisa/Siena. The only reason to visit Pisa is to see the tower. Are you suggesting I go from Pisa to Siena before returning to Florence, or skipping Pisa in favor of a trip to Siena, of which I am totally in favor.

Don't know about other Americans, but in my case, I think the assumption about Custom is simply a lack of traveling abroad--so ignorance on my part. Thank you for telling me the difference.

Again, thanks to everyone for trying to help me have a successful trip. I'll be happy to hear any additional thoughts or advice.
Old Feb 9th, 2018, 12:33 PM

It would be hard to do both Pisa and Siena justice in same day. Thought you were contemplating 2 day trips or one.
Old Feb 9th, 2018, 12:43 PM
Original Poster

Yes, we will be doing just one day trip...would you pick Siena over Pisa?

And to clarify the suggestion of staying in Salerno, I believe the main reason was due to easy travel by train to both Pompeii and Paestum as well as ferries to both Amalfi and Positano. I am truly in a quandary as to where to base on AC since actually being on the coast will be wonderful, but am now wondering how easy it will be to get to Pompeii and Paestum from Amalfi.
Old Feb 9th, 2018, 12:47 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
You mention wanting to go to Pompeii but don't include it in your day-by-day plans. Personally, I prefer Pompeii over Paestum, but that's me. If you'd be willing or want to forego Paestum in favor of Pompeii, I'd suggest you base yourselves in Sorrento from which Pompeii and Capri are more accessible and the coastal towns still accessible. From Sorrento, you might also have time to squeeze in a few hours at the Naples Archeology Museum which is where nearly all of the artifacts found at Pompeii are exhibited. Regarding the Rome-Salerno train tickets already purchased, you can check to see if the train you booked will stop at Napoli Centrale. If so, you could get off there and take the cheap commuter/metro train to Sorrento. You'd only be spending a few extra euros.
Old Feb 9th, 2018, 01:05 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Again, personal choice, but I'd go to Siena rather than Pisa (with or without Lucca). But if you choose climbing the Leaning Tower, you need to make timed reservations for that and arrive a few minutes before your reservation to deal with checking bags/backpacks, umbrellas, etc. And, in the event of rain, I probably wouldn't climb the tower. The marble can be very slippery when wet.
Old Feb 9th, 2018, 02:02 PM

Your convent, Instituto Immacolata Concezione Nostra Signora di Lourdes, is located 1.5 km from Roma Termini where the Leonardo Express arrives. It might be a 20 minute walk and there are some hills along the way depending on which way you walk. It is near Trinita dei Monti and the top of the Spanish Steps where Via Sistina ends. It is not the same as the Monti neighborhood near Santa Maria ai Monti.

The Cappuccine Crypt is a short walk from your hotel. I can imagine needing a guide to tour it, although I did enjoy my visit with my med-student niece--she had a great time identifying all the bones in each design.

I love the charming Hotel al Ponte Mocenigo in Venice. It is a quieter but easily accessible neighborhood just steps from the San Stae vaporetto stop, which is also where the Alilaguna Arancia line to the airport stops.

Last edited by ellenem; Feb 9th, 2018 at 02:10 PM.
Old Feb 9th, 2018, 04:26 PM
Original Poster

I'm sorry; I typed Positano instead of Pompeii for day 4. I, definitely, can drop Paestum in place of Pompeii. I'd never even heard of Paestum before reading about it on trip report. And, I do believe we'll go to Siena instead of Pisa.

Thank you for your help.
Old Feb 9th, 2018, 04:30 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for clarifying the location of the convent. I do hope it's in a safe neighborhood. I will look at the website for the
Cappuccine Crypt to see if they offer on-site guided tours without having to use a third-party guide. I tried the Hotel al Ponte Mocenigo in Vencie, but they only have availability for one of my nights. We currently booked at Zaguri B & B, San Marco 2632, Fondamenta Zaguri but have a window of time for cancellation.

Thank you so much for your help.
Old Feb 9th, 2018, 05:18 PM

Be careful at the Termini, which is a haven for pickpockets.

I've never used the Leonardo Express. Always take a shared shuttle, usually around 20 Euros, which get you from the airport to your hotel. Downside is that if they drop off other passengers first, you may be waiting for awhile. Plus you may run into traffic. But you don't have to deal with taking the train and then queuing up for taxi at the Termini.

It is a lot to pack in for 15 days. Be aware that in a lot of places, you're going to be walking up steps, on hard rocky surfaces. A day trip to Pompeii is a lot of walking as well. You may not want to schedule consecutive days or heavy walking. Maybe hit the treadmill and stair climbers at the gym for a couple of weeks before your trip.
Old Feb 9th, 2018, 05:38 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
>>>Instituto Immacolata Concezione Nostra Signora di Lourdes, is located 1.5 km from Roma Termini where the Leonardo Express arrives. It might be a 20 minute walk and there are some hills along the way depending on which way you walk. It is near Trinita dei Monti and the top of the Spanish Steps where Via Sistina ends. It is not the same as the Monti neighborhood near Santa Maria ai Monti. <<<

Right. It's not in Monti. It's in rione Colonna. So if you have been searching the Monti area and thinking you are staying there, you aren't. Via Sistina might be a bit noisy. I would ask for a room on the courtyard. While you could hop the metro at Termini for 2 stops and get off at Barberini which would put you almost at the convent, it would involve a long trek and going down several levels in Termini, buying tickets to hop on a crowded subway. By that time, you probably could have walked.

>>>I do hope it's in a safe neighborhood. <<<

The neighborhood is fine.

>>I will look at the website for the
Cappuccine Crypt to see if they offer on-site guided tours without having to use a third-party guide. <<

I think Ellen meant she couldn't imagine needing a tour. Last time I was there, entry was by donation. There may be a set fee now. They also have a convent with rooms for tourists.

https://www.casacappucciniroma.it/

If I wanted a coast experience, Salerno would not be my choice (just don't find it attractive), but if you are going to Paestum and need to head out by train early to Florence it might make sense. To me it just seems more city, not quaint coastal towns

It's not easy to travel between Pisa and Siena unless you have a car. Public transport would take a lot of time and connections.
Old Feb 9th, 2018, 07:00 PM
Original Poster

I did think our convent was in the Monti District, so thank you for clarifying that and confirming that it is a safe neighborhood. Maybe it's just me and my lack of knowledge, but I find it difficult to determine which districts in Rome the hotels are located, unless they're large enough (or whatever reason) and located by name on a map.

Regarding the shuttle from the airport: I assume it is not problem to hire after landing, or do we need to make a reservation? We may end up deciding to take a taxi, but I don't mind waiting for them to drop off other passengers. We arrive early, and it will give us an opportunity for more sightseeing. We will take a taxi to the train station the day we leave.

I'm glad to know we can do the Cappuccine Crypt on Sunday...we don't have anything planned for that day, and I don't really want to do the free tours since they will be so crowded. have to decide tonight what to do about lodging on Amalfi coast.

Great information. Thanks!
Old Feb 9th, 2018, 07:14 PM

You can check and book shuttle on sites like viator.com.

You can wait but if you can lock in a price that seems good (based on the exchange rate when you book), it's probably a good idea to prebook.

You either need to print out a voucher to give to the driver or if you have a smart phone, you can store the vouchers in your phone. On iPhones, Viator has their own app, from which you can transfer the vouchers to the Apple Wallet app.

BTW, Viator will let you book walking tours, day trips, food or wine tasting tours. They charge about the same as you'd pay if you went to the tour operator's site directly.

One of the trips I did out of Florence was to go to Pisa, see the tower and the Duomo there and then go to Siena, for lunch. I think they also stopped in San Gmignano as well. The nice thing was that you could do that in one tour, one day, since the coach took you to both Pisa and Siena, which are in completely different directions from Siena.

Last edited by scrb11; Feb 9th, 2018 at 07:16 PM.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -