14 days Poland- Fill in the blanks?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9th, 2009, 03:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can anyone advise on a trip in September to Poland? We land in Gdansk on Sept 12th and depart from Krakow on the 26th. I've already booked an apt for a week in Krakow the 19th -26th (as we also want to do quite a number of day trips). However, starting in Gdansk the 12th, can anyone suggest an itinerary toward Krakow for a week?Thanks!
Old Aug 10th, 2009, 09:09 AM

I don't have a map in front of me and I forgot the order in which we traveled, but cities not to miss are Poznan, Wroclaw, Lublin.
Are you not planning on Warsaw?

2 years ago we began in Warsaw and ended in Gdansk, with Krakow, Poznan, Lublin and Wroclaw in the middle.

A wonderful trip and a charming country - you will love it.
Old Aug 12th, 2009, 07:03 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the input! It looks like we can hit Poznan and Wroclaw...in the same central/western line.We already visited Warsaw a few years back for 5 days- loved it- but don't want to repeat. Any suggestions for hotels in Poznan or Wroclaw, please pass along; appreciate it! Also, any suggestions for gdansk, too. THX!
Old Aug 18th, 2009, 09:39 AM

How did you find an apartment? Are you renting a car? Wondering how driving is for Americans in Poland?
Old Aug 18th, 2009, 10:35 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Hi; You could also consider Torun. See www.inyourpocket.com/ for much information on cities you are considering. Click on the city and then 'instant' for a very good download of info. Dick
Old Aug 18th, 2009, 10:36 AM

Don't forget to go to Malbork Castle -- just about a 1/2 to 3/4 day trip from Gdansk.
Old Aug 19th, 2009, 07:44 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for the input! Russ, yes, going to take a trip to Malbork!

iris1745- I posted a second question (no replies yet) about Torun versus Wroclaw. Torun looks more untouched- only neg is its about 5 hours by train form Gdansk since you have to change. We decided not to rent a car, as we want to stay in the old towns, where parking is limited.Leaning toward Torun AND Wroclaw?

anavert- I did a lot of research on tripadvisor and google before choosing an agency for the apt. We went with Sodispar apartments www.sodispar.com because they had the best selection in a multityde of locations (and varying price points); we rented just outside the old town. They also are very responsive. You must pay in cash when you arrive, though.
Old Aug 20th, 2009, 10:35 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Hi; We liked both towns. [Sorry, not much help] Was able to easly drive to our hotel. A little information on Torun. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/torun Dick
Old Aug 20th, 2009, 11:59 AM

Krakow -Zakopane- Gdansk skip depressing grey block building of Warsaw
Old Aug 21st, 2009, 06:57 AM

beethova writes: <<I posted a second question (no replies yet) about Torun versus Wroclaw. Torun looks more untouched- only neg is its about 5 hours by train form Gdansk since you have to change. We decided not to rent a car, as we want to stay in the old towns, where parking is limited.Leaning toward Torun AND Wroclaw?>>

Just did the Gdansk-Torun route this past March. We took a direct train...no changes...and it took about 3 1/2 hrs. Torun's old town section is very, very small. Unless you've got other things you want to see in the area, I think 1 night there is fine. Two nights max.

With all the time you have, you can certainly visit both Torun and Wroclaw. The train takes about 5+ hours between cities, however.

Not knowing your accommodation budget, let me suggest the Dwor Polski in Wroclaw...right around the corner from the main square. Sorry, I don't have a link to the hotel, but we loved the location.

Definitely try to plan one overnight in Zakopane. We kept our apt. in Krakow and just took overnight essentials with us to Zakopane. Next day, we returned "home" without having to check into another place.

Sounds like you have a fantastic trip coming up!
Old Aug 21st, 2009, 07:21 AM
Eli

Anavert, on both of my trips to Poland I have driven a rental car. It felt just like driving in other European countries or the USA. We opted to leave the car at the hotels' parking lots whilst staying in cities - but still I did drive several times within Warsaw and Lublin when the need arised.
Old Aug 22nd, 2009, 09:40 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for your input!Eli, am considering a acr now.Any rental agency you preferred?
Fadoinka, we will definitely also plan on going to Zakopane. Since we have an apt for the week, too, I think we'll stay the night; seems a more relaxed pace. Can you remember where you stayed (hotel, or a room)?Thanks!
Old Aug 25th, 2009, 03:30 AM
Eli

Beethova, I've rented from http://www.lrc.com.pl/
Liked the experience so much first time, that I made them my preferred choice second time. Their only office is in Warsaw. On one occasion, we picked up in Warsaw office and returned in Krakow (they came to take the car). Second time we picked up at Warsaw airport (they waited for us with the car) and returned at a Warsaw hotel late evening (they came to pick up). You'll enjoy Poland. Lovely country, delicious food (just like my mother's in law). Eli in Israel
Old Aug 25th, 2009, 04:14 PM
Original Poster

Eli, Thanks so much for the car rental info! We are SO looking forward to Poland and the food...By the way, we are planning on eating alot of that food (my mother must cook the same as your mother in law ---LOVE it!)Also, I will be traveling with my mother to Israel next May. I will have to get your advise then about our trip!THX
Old Aug 25th, 2009, 06:30 PM

Yes, Zakopane is nice. Some say too touristy with the little shops but it is pleasant to be up in the mountains. Note the unusual houses and maybe you can take a carriage ride into Tatra Nat'l Park. Don't know Gdansk but Warsaw is fascinating as a rebuilt city. And we liked Krakow...btw en route you should stop off at the famous Black Madonna shrine at Czestochowa. Much could be said about Krakow but I hope you will visit Auschwitz for sure. Everyone should.

Ozarksbill [email protected]
Old Aug 30th, 2009, 07:55 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Ozarksbill! A few questions: Did anyone stay in Czestochowa for the night? It would work out on the route from Gdansk-Torun-Krakow, but I can only find a BIG hotel online.Any recomendations?
Definitely going to Ayshwitz/Birkenau...went to Dachau in germany years ago; agreed, a must-see for anyone.
zakopane sounds sweet- didn't know it was super toristy. any hotel recommendations for 1 night?
Old Aug 30th, 2009, 07:00 PM

No, Czestochowa seems like a stop off for the shrine but you could do it. Enjoy your trip. I do like Krakow. At our fitness center a trainer who was once on the Polish Olympic team says things are looking up in his native land economically.

Ozarksbill
Old Sep 1st, 2009, 06:55 AM

Today marks the 70th anniversary of the Nazi invasion of Poland...just thought I'd mention it. My friend Harvey at the time a 10 year old in Frankfort (and a Holocaust survivor) rmembers his father saying, "Now I know where Hitler will put the Jews"

Ozarksbill [email protected]
Old Sep 3rd, 2009, 11:30 AM

Not sure exactly what you're looking for, but there's plenty of selection in Wroclaw, Poznan, and Gdansk. There are about 40-50 hotels in each city:
http://en.tripter.com/hotels/Poland/...p/-537080/0/c/
http://en.tripter.com/hotels/Poland/...p/-523642/0/c/
http://en.tripter.com/hotels/Poland/...p/-501400/0/c/

You can book on there, or you can also try calling up the hotels directly by finding them on Google Maps.

Oh, they also show 35 hotels in Zakopane:
http://en.tripter.com/hotels/Poland/...p/-538221/0/c/

Sounds like a full trip!