12 hours in London, with luggage

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4th, 2008, 07:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My boyfriend and I land at Heathrow at 7:30am from the US and depart from Gatwick (for Venice) at 5:35pm. We already booked the National Express from Victoria Station to Gatwick at 2pm. We'll have a decent sized rolling suitcase each plus possibly a third small rolling suit case and a backpack. We spent 4 months in London in 2004 so we have seen the main sites. Any suggestions on what we can/should do before our bus at 2pm?
Old Jul 4th, 2008, 08:09 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Why are you taking a coach to Gatwick? It will take <u>forever</u>. You can take the southern train for not much more &pound; and it only takes 35 minutes.

There is left luggage at Victoria - &pound;6.50 per bag.

There are all sorts of things you can do - ride the Eye, walk around covent garden, have a nice lunch, take a boat ride, have a picnic in Green or Hyde park, etc etc. But since we don't know what you've seen/done it is hard to make suggestions.
Old Jul 5th, 2008, 07:11 AM

janis is right that it is hard to advise without knowing what you've already seen.

You really don't have all that much time once you factor in the time it takes to get through passport control and customs, get into London, stow your bags at Victoria -- and then leave time to retrieve them and return the airport in time to go through security again.

If it's a nice day, I'd walk off the jet leg in St. James Park and have lunch at Inn the Park before heading back.

It might be raining, so if you haven't been to the National Portrait Gallery, I'd go there and eat at its covered rooftop restaurant, but book in advance.

I might also look around the nearby bookstores and browse the travel section for books and maps for Venice and wherever else you might be going.
Old Jul 5th, 2008, 07:29 AM

So, you will have about five hours. Me, I would check luggage and take the tube to Westminster, cross over the bridge, go down to the walkway (left), and walk to the bridge across from St. Paul's and return on the other side of the Thames. Find a pub and have a nice lunch, pick up luggage and once at the airport take a shower. Now as to the amount of luggage. I am assuming that you are going on an extended trip, say a few month? If not, consider one 18 inch bag each. In any event, have a grand trip!
Old Jul 5th, 2008, 07:57 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Why so much luggage? More than one rollling item per person doesn't work out very well.
Old Jul 5th, 2008, 09:39 AM

How early can you check in for the Venice flight? If it's early enough, you might ride the bus to Gatwick, check in, and go back and forth to London on a Southern Trains DaySave pass. This gives you unlimited travel in the Southern network for &pound;10 per person.

Since you were in London for 4 months, suggesting something you haven't experienced is problematical.