Reload this Page >

12 hours alone in Paris?/London stop over *Urgent*

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 20th, 2001, 12:07 AM
Natalie

Help?!! <BR> <BR>I am going to Paris on Wednesday, just found out that the apartment we are staying in we cannot get into until midnight...(friends arriving from Switzerland...) <BR> <BR>I am travelling this Tuesday at noon on Britis Airways into Heathrow, one hour and then Air France to CDG, I have a business appt at 3 p.m in the 14th arrondissement and the apartment is in the 6th er - on the Quai D'Orsay. <BR> <BR>Any ideas on how to combat the jet lag, anyplace to take a shower, freshen up...leave my suitcase (small carry on - with wheels) and how to spend the time after hours with least risk and most enjoyment!! <BR> <BR>I am going to try to sleep on the flight, but thought you frequent travellers may have some great tips for me..I'd like to be prepared so that my jetlagged brain will get me in the least trouble! <BR> <BR>Many, many thanks! <BR> <BR>Natalie <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old May 20th, 2001, 04:46 AM
Rex

Natalie, <BR> <BR>I don't know where you're originating (a continent away from Europe, I suppose, since you refer to jet lag) - - but I think you should try VERY HARD to get on an earlier flight. since you are leaving "noon" Tuesday, I wonder if you are traveling from the West coast (North America). If this is true, and if you are using a major gateway city further east, you may be able to get an early A.M. flight. There are so many flights to London, that BA can probably book you (at no cost, stand-by, hopefully) onto one of their earliest flights which arrives at 5 or 6 am (London time, Paris is an hour later), and has you to CDG by 9 am, if not earlier. <BR> <BR>This will leave you reasonable amounts of time to do the things you need to do to be ready for a business meeting at 3 pm. <BR> <BR>You really SHOULD get a hotel room - - if the business you are doing is worth anything, it merits a nap and a shower. Despite the high cost of lodging in Paris, there really are some reasonable priced options - - and you might want to just look at the airport itself. The ACCOR chain - - http://www.accorhotels.com - - has hotels in very price (they're the parent for Sofitel and Novotel at the top of their bracket and Ibis and Formule 1, at the bottom - - similar to Motel 6 or Red Roof - - which they also own). <BR> <BR>Use taxis to keep yourself relaxed and as "un-fatigued" as possible. <BR> <BR>I have flown to Europe and done business on the day of arrival before, and it's harder than you think. Give yourself the maximum chance to have a successful meeting. <BR> <BR>Write me if you would like. <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR> <BR>Rex Bickers <BR>Westerville, Ohio <BR>

Old May 20th, 2001, 06:52 AM
Lori

Natalie, Please get a hotel room. It's the only solution. Even if you got a different flight you are not going to solve this problem completely and the cost of one night (day) in hotel is small compared to personal comfort. Nothing makes a traveler feel better then a sleep and a bath/shower. Do yourself a favor and get a hotel. Ifyou are flying from LA (that flight gets in at noon, I know because I take it) by the time you get to Paris you will be pretty tired out. If it is at all possible I'd reschedule that business appt. to another day when I was more alert too. You can never count on getting any decent sleep on the flight unless you are flying first or business class or if steerage is half empty and you can grab a whole row (not often!)

Old May 20th, 2001, 07:05 AM
Frequent trans-Atlantic flyer

To minimize jetlag: <BR> <BR>1) Change your eating times as little as possible, no matter when the airlines want to feed you. Take a snack if you have to, so you can eat according to your home clock until you get to your destination. Then try to eat less while you're there than you usually do at home. <BR> <BR>2) Don't drink any alcohol on the flight. None, nil, zilch, the big goose egg. This will help a lot. <BR> <BR>3) Sleep disruption is the worst thing for jetlag, and this is always exacerbated by the inflight meals and snacks being served. Wear a blindfold and earplugs when you want to sleep, and consider taking some homeopathic relaxants (not alcohol) to help you sleep on the plane. <BR> <BR>You should maybe consider a small "Please don't wake me for meals" sign. But don't rely on this sign - stewards/stewardesses don't always notice them. Talk to them in advance about it _and_ wear/post the sign. <BR> <BR>Doing these things might make you feel odd, but you'll have the least jetlag of anyone else on the plane.

Old May 20th, 2001, 07:12 AM
Barney

I agree about the hotel, but if you can't another option would be to rent a "Cacoon" room at the airport, (CDG) these are wonderful,clean rooms rented by the hour. You can get a a shower and a few hours nap before your meeting. You cna leave a wake up call. Limit your nap to no more than 3 hours.I find that I'm the most tired upon arrival because flights from the west are often overnight and I don't sleep.