London In June

May 19th, 2001, 12:46 PM
Jennifer

London In June

Traveling to London In June, What will weather be like? I need to figure out what to pack. Would appreciate any tips!

May 19th, 2001, 04:45 PM
Martha

Jennifer -

I was in London two years ago in June and found the weather to be rather cool and damp, as you would expect. Most days the high temp. was in the 60's, with cloudy skys. The day I arrived, however, the temperature had gotten up to 73 degrees. I would advise taking light weight shirts that you can wear sweaters and jackets over. I wore my rain jacket almost everyday. But I had a great time.

Martha

May 19th, 2001, 05:58 PM
kathy

When we went in June it became unseasonably warm (high 70s)and we found our long sleeved shirts a bit much.... so you might pack at least one or two lighter weight shirts that you can layer under a jacket or sweater. Also, FYI, we were surprised at how bad our allergies were so if you're prone to that be sure to include some medications. You'll have a great time at any rate!

May 20th, 2001, 02:12 AM
Anna

The trouble with England is that you never know what the weather's going to do. I'm a native, and always try to check the weather forecast before I decide what to wear for the day. But it's much easier for me because my whole wardrobe is here! It's not likely to be very cold in June, so you won't need anything too heavy and warm, but it could be anything from cool and wet, to hot and sunny with temperatures in the eighties. So be prepared for anything. I'd suggest bringing T-shirts or other summery tops, with a few longer sleeved shirts/sweaters which you can wear over the top on cooler days. For the bottom half, I'd go for lightweight trousers that won't be too warm when it's hot, but will be warm enough when it's cold. If you like wearing shorts when it's hot, squeeze in a pair or two of those as well.

Finally, a good waterproof jacket/coat is essential - you don't want a few rainy days to spoil your holiday. There's plenty to do indoors in London, but you don't want to get soaked in between places.

Have a great time.

May 20th, 2001, 06:47 AM
gb

I was told by a Brit that it always rains at the Wimbleton tennis tournament.

May 20th, 2001, 07:16 AM
J Scott

I"m from Minneapolis and have lived in England for 15 years. (Why? Two reasons: now snow and no mosquitoes!)

When I first came to London, a native wisely said to me, "If you don't like our weather, wait half an hour: it'll change!"

This is only a slight exaggeration, but one thing I wouldn't do is rely on the weather forecasts! (The weather here is maritime and very hard to predict.)

Anyway, it's easy to dress for anything over here: just wear layers (but not too many in June), and instead of schlepping a rain coat/jacket - just take one of those little, collapsable umbrellas with you.

Be careful of pickpockets here. They've gotten bad in London recently. Make sure your cash is un-pickable.

And don't worry about eating the beef here. It's perfectly safe. (So is the lamb.) But don't order *steak* over here. You'll be disappointed.

Have a great vacation!

Oh - and one more thing: if you like cocktails, carry copies of the recipes with you. Barmen here won't know how to make most of them.