12 days London and Paris

Old Jan 5th, 2017, 04:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
12 days London and Paris

My daughter (17) and I are headed to London. We leave August 30, have to be at kings cross station in London on September 1st, (Harry potter epilogue) then have until the 10th when we need to fly back to east coast! From what I have read seems like flying into London and out of Paris seems like best idea. Only visit 2 cities for 10 days down? Any recommendations? How many days in each city? Should we stay in London whole time and just do day trips? Then train to Paris? How many days there? Any must sees? Any info or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Have made no plans, in beginning stage of research! Thanks for any and all advice!
Old Jan 5th, 2017, 04:48 PM

Two of my favourite cities...you are in for a treat.

Do you arrive Aug.31? Since you have an activity on Sept.1st planned already that leaves you 8 free days.

You could have a very nice trip split between London and Paris and yes, good idea to fly into London and out of Paris. You can take the Eurostar from London to Paris and the earlier you book the better deal you will get on your tickets.

How you split your days between the cities depends on your interests really and there is way more than enough to do in each of those cities without doing any day trips.

If you give us more ideas of your interests we can make suggestions. Have you looked at any guide books yet?
Old Jan 5th, 2017, 05:32 PM

This is a great combination. I would probably split the time equally if you have not been to either.

In London, The Tower of London, Westminster Abbey and the Churchill War rooms were favorites of mine. I also enjoyed Canterbury. There is a ton to see/do in London and there is a lot I have not done.

In Paris, i prefer the smaller museums for art. Musee Marmottan, L'Orangerie and Musee Rodin are all favorites. I also love Musee d'Orsay. We have done several food tours with a Paris by Mouth. It's a great way to see one of the neighborhoods and learn about the fabulous food. Saint Chapelle and St Denis are also favorites. St Denis is the burial place of French kings. The shopping is awesome if you are into it. Your daughter might enjoy the area around Canal St Martin.

Agree that you need to do some research on your own and decide what types of things the two of you are interested in doing/seeing.
Old Jan 5th, 2017, 11:15 PM

London's attractions are much more spread out than the ones in Paris are.
The things that people most want to see in Paris are contained in an approximate rectangle of 5 km x 2 km. Paris is a very walkable city, and transportation options are very easy.
I'd recommend spending at least one more day in London than you would in Paris.

You will need a good map or guide book to help you make your decisions on what to see and do.
Old Jan 6th, 2017, 01:06 AM

We all love Paris here, but we can't recommend you whether to go to Paris or not. It is your call. If you have made no plans and have no ideas about Paris attractions, how could we tell if Paris is good for you or not? You might stay in London for the whole time (it will not run out of things to do) and plan day trips from there, or you might go to Paris, I don't see it makes any difference.
Old Jan 6th, 2017, 07:30 AM

>

Really?

Go to the Fodors London and Paris pages and figure out what interests you. Having no idea what you want to see in London and Paris other than a Harry Potter platform means that you need to do your research.
Old Jan 6th, 2017, 08:40 AM

Then train to Paris?>

www.eurostar.com -easy to book your own ticket - early bird gets the worm - can save a ton by booking months early to get the limited in number discounted tickets but a huge savings over full wlak-up fare. Check www.seat61.com for tips on getting discounted tickets- for general rail info www.budgeteuropetravel.com and www.ricksteves.com.

Must sights?

If you have not heard of it it is not a must sight.

Have you heard of Eiffel Tower and Notre-Dame Cathedral and Louvre and Champs-Elysees in Paris?

London - Tower of London, Buckingham Palace, British Museum...

lots of good suggestions above but to me the best sight in any place is the city itself - leave time for idling at sidewalk cafes, picnicking in a nice park or down by the Thames or Seine and do not come with an impossible laundry list of things you just must see -except Harry Potter stuff of course.
Old Jan 6th, 2017, 10:11 AM

You may want to figure out what you want to see and do. That may dictate how much time you spend where. Personally I would spend some time outside of London.
Old Jan 6th, 2017, 12:17 PM

Do you not have guidebooks and maps? If not, get them asap. You can't plan a trip to Europe or anywhere else without frames of reference. We don't know what will spark your interest - that's up to you. Get to it.