Search

Paris or London

Search this Thread

Old May 26th, 2004, 02:17 PM
mcv
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paris or London

Paris or London, which of these two cities would be best to visit in November? And why?
Old May 26th, 2004, 02:44 PM

I agree that it depends on your interests, but why not both, if you have enough time? How much time are you planning?
Old May 26th, 2004, 02:54 PM

Paris!

That was easy.
Old May 26th, 2004, 03:27 PM

London: the music and theater season will be in full swing.
Old May 26th, 2004, 04:41 PM

Paris - a lot cheaper if you are American.
Old May 26th, 2004, 04:49 PM

We always go to both of these cities in Oct/Nov.
Why-the weather is good, less tourists, the theater season opens and the food is good.
Paris has the hunters bringing in venison and wild fowl, cepes, sauted in butter will haunt you for the rest of your life
The streets, museums, shops are a tiny bit less crowded. Prices might be a bit better too.
I find both cities have the same amount of rain, we have been fortunate and had hardly any-ever.
If it is too hard to choose, Fly into London, stay are a few days, then take the Chunnel to Paris
Old May 26th, 2004, 05:00 PM

What a delicious dilemma! And I personally think your question was perfectly worded. It's a quick impression answer, right?
Paris has some exceptional little resataurants featuring wild game. Get a good guide, Fodor's helped me. I bet the gardens and parks of Paris that I saw in the Spring will look crisp and wonderful in the autumn.

But then London would be great for walking around to The Tate Modern then across the bridge to St Paul, or some day trips to the beautiful rolling countryside.

Well, I really wasn't much help, was I?
Old May 26th, 2004, 05:26 PM
padbrasher

Paris is so special that I would go there over London in a heartbeat. London is fun and it does contain many very familiar monuments(Parliament, Big Ben, Buckingham, etc.) and a wonderful museum (British) but Paris is prettier city, with much better food and Mona Lisa is in residence at the Louvre.

As suggested above, you could easily do a sampler...3-4 days London, 3-4 days Paris. The Eurostar is a treat in itself.

Bon Voyage!

Old May 26th, 2004, 06:56 PM

I like Paris in the winter. The center of the city has a human scale that lends itself to the winter lighting. The parks are sparse and bare but have a wonderful contrast; some of my best photos are Paris in winter. Coffee in Paris in winter - divine! London is a big busy fun exciting place, but not particularly romantic - Paris has a romance that changes dramatically with the seasons, but remains always incredible.
Old May 26th, 2004, 07:03 PM

I've been to Paris twice. Once in the summer and once in November. (I'm going to London this summer). I thought Paris in November was great. Very few lines, crisp sunny days mixed with soft rainy ones. Rented an apartment for a week and lived like a american-parisian. I managed to hit alot of the tourist sites and found they weren't as crowded. The days were shorter. AND the prices are terrific in November. Airlines and hotels are cheaper. That's only the Paris side, because I've never been to London in November.

And ... as you've been reminded.. there is the chunnel.

Old May 26th, 2004, 07:15 PM

London in a heartbeat. I have gone the last 2 Novembers - the weather has been great, theater as good as always, no lines for the museums, fewer tourists. I enjoy Paris but London is where it is at for me. I agree with the other posters- if you can do both the Chunnel is the way to go. My first trip to Europe in 1995 I flew into Orly - Never again. All future trips to Paris from London will be via the Chunnel. I took it in '95 to visit London and enjoyed the ride.
Old May 26th, 2004, 09:26 PM

Either. Or both. mgmargate put it more rudely than I would, and certainly more rudely than was necessary, but it really would help if we knew what you like to spend your days doing in a big city. Cheers.
Old May 26th, 2004, 09:32 PM

every answer has been correct - and wrong too (since we have absolutely no idea when you like, how long you are going for, where you have traveled before, etc.)

Both cities are wonderful in Nov. (or at any time for that matter).

Doing London would be GREAT
Doing Paris would be GREAT
Doing both would be GREAT

you can't really make a mistake here - but give us a hint what you like and we can make more useful suggestions . . . . .
Old May 26th, 2004, 09:33 PM

That should read " . . . absolutely no idea WHAT you like . . . "
Old May 27th, 2004, 02:43 AM

You won't be going to either for the weather.

Read the many millions of comments on this forum regarding activities in both of these cities, then decide what you want, then come back and ask again please!
Old May 27th, 2004, 05:01 AM

If you have never been to either and you have enough time, you might try both and see which you prefer. If you are going for a long weekend, I would suggest Paris. Why? Because given my choice between Paris and anywhere, the answer is always Paris.
Old May 27th, 2004, 05:23 AM

If you ask me, I'll suggest Paris as I am partial to Paris. I've been to London and I'm one of the few who don't care about it.
Old May 27th, 2004, 05:27 AM

While paris is very enjoyable I believe London has more to offer and is more fun.
Old May 27th, 2004, 02:15 PM
mcv
Original Poster

I have been Paris and London both, but not in November. In reply to Statia, I'm thinking about a week to ten days.

SalB, you say Paris, but not why?

My thanks to Scarlett, ninasdream, padbrasher, Shanna, petal, and rj007, for your input and an answer to WHY.
Old May 27th, 2004, 02:24 PM

Paris. Breathtaking, great food, art, pretty neighborhoods, cheaper, more tourist-friendly.
I'm partial and don't care much for London.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -