Reload this Page >

12 days in Europe

Search

12 days in Europe

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23rd, 1997, 10:26 PM
Adrian

12 days in Europe

Hi, I'm planning a 12 days trip to Europe and will be covering the following places Florence, Vatican City, Lucerne, Mt Titlis, Paris/rance, London Vienna. Any advice for me?

Thanks

Old Sep 24th, 1997, 02:06 AM
Tim Walshe

Hi Adrian,
With an ambitious agenda like that you might consider an organised tour. This would leave you free to enjoy the places you visit, as opposed to having to negotiate timetables, currencies and reservations.

Tim.

Old Sep 24th, 1997, 03:30 PM
Tricia

Hi, Tim's right- that is an ambitious iteniary. We were going to see 5 countries in l7 days and wore ourselves out. We also wanted to see London and then cross over and see the continent. Next time I said I would do one, or the other; stay on the English continent and see Scotland &Ireland, or cross over and do Northern Italy, Switzerland, Austria, or whatever. My daughter is going back over to England with a school tour and we found excellent advice by a native in the Fodors travel lounge back around July 15. She is going to give it to her teacher tomorrow. It is hard dealing with the time difference, language, currencies etc, so I think its better to stick to a localized area and try to learn those than tackle too much! Good luck!

Old Sep 24th, 1997, 05:56 PM
Adrian

Hi Tim & Tricia,
Thanks for the advice. I certainly appreciate it. However, what places then do you guys suggest that I visit? Is currency conversion is problem in Europe and is Visa widely accepted or should I use other charge cards, such as Mastercard, American Express, etc?

In addition, which are the notorious areas that I should watch out for. A lady friend of mine was molested while she was in Rome. Since I'm a guy, I think it should be pretty safe. Any precautions that I should take not off? Thanks in advance. Adrian!

Old Sep 24th, 1997, 05:56 PM
Adrian

Hi Tim & Tricia,
Thanks for the advice. I certainly appreciate it. However, what places then do you guys suggest that I visit? Is currency conversion is problem in Europe and is Visa widely accepted or should I use other charge cards, such as Mastercard, American Express, etc?

In addition, which are the notorious areas that I should watch out for. A lady friend of mine was molested while she was in Rome. Since I'm a guy, I think it should be pretty safe. Any precautions that I should take not off? Thanks in advance. Adrian!

Old Sep 25th, 1997, 04:57 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Adrian, You cannot be serious. Have you looked
at a map? Here is my 12 days---if you hustle.
ROME---FLORENCE---VERONA/VENICE---
BAVARIAN CASTLES----SALZBURG--then fly
out of Munich. That is really too much but you
seem intent on punishment.
Better yet---fly into and out of Munich, save 60%25
on your rental car, drop Rome, and do the other
4 destinations. This one will work. GOOD LUCK

Old Sep 26th, 1997, 08:45 AM
bill toliver

Your trip is way too ambitious- I would do Austria Switzerland and Germany in that order. You can fit in 5 cities with travel by Eurail and you can train across these countries. In these countries you do not need to worry about crime. Take travelers checks and some places VISA or MC works. My favorite cities are Vienna, Munich, Geneva, Lucerne. A lot depends on what interests you. Is it shopping? Museums, culture- big or small cities???

Old Sep 30th, 1997, 10:26 AM
Sean

This sounded like me when I was planning to go to Europe for the first time. I, too, wanted to see all of these places and more. I spent two and a half weeks in Europe and only got into four cities. Most likely you are going to arrive in one city and leave out of another. My itinerary (if it is any help)was: arrived in London, the chunnel/eurail to Amsterdam and then to Paris, and finally on into Rome. It was a whrilwind trip just with those places and I felt that although I did not go to these other places, but I still enjoyed the adventure. If you do plan to keep your current itinerary, plan every little step; down to how long it takes you to exchange your money. Good luck Adrian. Send me some mail when you get back !

Old Sep 30th, 1997, 10:58 AM
Marcie

With your limitation of time, maybe you should consider a cruise, i.e. Mediterranean, or Rome to London or ??? This way you only unpack once and the ship will move you during the night and each day wake up in a new city. When you consider no hotel room, meals, entertainment included etc. this is a good value.

Old Sep 30th, 1997, 01:42 PM
Mark

Adrian,
pretty ambitious but if you plan right, you can see alot. I agree with other mailers, decide what your interests are -- history, castles, large vs. small cities, cathedrals, countryside -- and do some research. Here are some suggested itineraries:
o London/day trips to Oxford & Stratford/Amsterdam (overnight), Paris.
o Munich, Vienna, Salzburg, Austrian Alps
o Munich, Venice, Rome, Florence, Geneva

My favorites are: Paris, Salzburg and Florence. If you're in Belgium (or Amsterdam) Brugges is a wonderfully preserved medieval city as is Strasbourg in France. Enjoy it wherever you go.

Old Oct 31st, 1997, 11:23 AM
Bill Fleites

Hi Sean,
I'm planning a trip with an itinerary exactly like yours. However, instead of going straight from Paris to Rome. I want to spend a few days in Florence, Venice, and then onto Rome all by train. My main concern is that getting from Paris to Florence would take a good deal of time and I was considering staying a night in Nice.
I'd appreciate any feedback.