11 Day Itinerary-Advice?

Old May 16th, 2007, 06:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
11 Day Itinerary-Advice?

I am planning my first trip to Ireland and will be arriving at Dublin on August 2 and departing Shannon on August 12.

Here is one idea for an itinerary--I know that time will be too short but I want to see as much as possible. I would appreciate any feedback.

Aug 2, 3, 4 nights in Dublin
Aug 5 in Kilkenny
Aug 6 in Kinsale
Aug 7 in Kenmare
Aug 8 in Kenmare
Aug 9 in Galway area
Aug 10 in Galway
Aug 11 in Ennis
Aug 12 depart Shannon

Old May 16th, 2007, 08:39 AM

Not a bad start at all. Just because your time is short, I might suggest losing a night in Dublin and adding it elsewhere. I'm not one of those folks that thinks Dublin is uninteresting, but you are looking at more than 25% of your time being there.

Kenmare to Galway will be a long day. If you stop along the way, it will be most of the day. I would suggest that you drop a Dublin day and add it to Dingle. If you stay on the north coast of Dingle, you could make a pretty quick exit on the morning to Galway, cross the Shannon on the Tarbery/Killimer ferry, cruise by the cliffs of Moher and still make it into Galway after a full, but interesting day. That is much more interesting than the N18 from Limerick to Galway.

There is lots to do in and around Kilkenny and my guess is that your time in Kinsale will be just a taste of the area as an overnight. The ride from Kinsale to Kenmare can (and should) take a full day as there are beutiful spots along the way.

Hope this helps.

Bill
Old May 16th, 2007, 09:01 AM
Original Poster

Thank you very much. I really appreciate your advice.
Old May 16th, 2007, 09:49 AM

A few other thoughts. If you haven't booked your rooms in Dublin, book them very soon. Friday night (and Saturday should you decide to stay) will fill up quickly. Dublin is a big party town and can get pretty wild on weekend nights with stag and hen parties.

That time in general is very busy. If it were me, I would book all of my B&Bs well in advance. Let us know if you need any advice there.

Bill
Old May 16th, 2007, 11:09 AM
Original Poster

If I add an extra night to an already determined one night each at Kenmare and Dingle, which town would you recommend for a two-night stay?
Old May 16th, 2007, 02:22 PM

Based on your itinerary, I would add it to Kenmare as you will spend most of the day driving from Kinsale. Kenmare to Dingle will just take a couple of hours (2.5 maybe).

There is lots to see from Kenmare, much of which can be determined by the weather. The Beara Peninsula is just south and is a full day excursion. From Killarney, you can do the Gap of Dunloe tour, also a full day. If you're up for a boat trip, Get and early start and get out to Portmaggee for a trip out to the Skellig Rocks.

Again tourism will be heavy at that time of year and Beara would be the most quiet.

Bill
Old May 18th, 2007, 11:03 AM

I agree about taking a night from Dublin and using it elsewhere. I prefer Dingle over Galway.