Reload this Page >

101 on Booking Restaurents in Paris

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10th, 2001, 05:10 AM
sue

How to book from the states? Call/fax? <BR>What is the proper way to request a reservation? If you like to eat early (between 6/7) do you still need to book popular restaurants or just try to walk in? <BR>Suggestions appreciated.

Old Aug 10th, 2001, 05:13 AM
Liz

We faxed our hotel and asked them to make a reservation. Restaurants often don't open before 7:30, that is VERY early for Paris, although there are always cafes, etc. that serve all day.

Old Aug 10th, 2001, 05:21 AM
Donna

Unless you're planning to visit booked up months or weeks ahead sort of places (such as those mentioned recently in Bon Appetit and Gourmet magazine special Paris issues), you can have someone (the concierge or front desk) book for you once you've arrived in Paris. As mentioned above, most restaurants (not to be confused with cafes and brasseries with continuous service throughout the day) do not open for dinner until 7:30 or later. You can wander in, but if you are told, in spite of lots of empty tables in view, there are no tables available, they're booked for later on. Some restaurants seat only one party per table for the evening. So, I always book an hour later than I think we'll want to arrive. If we're early, we're seated immediately. I've made a lot of reservations before leaving home at www.reservethebest.com. Note that many of the best places (fabulous food, moderate prices) are small with only one or two dozen tables. Be sure to check hours and days open. It's amazing how many restaurants are closed weekends.

Old Aug 10th, 2001, 05:23 AM
StCirq

I like to fax the restaurant directly. That way, I have written confirmation (which I take with me) in case there's a problem. Eating at 6 p.m. is pretty muh unheard of in Paris (certainly at any restaurant you'd need to reserve in advance). Many restaurants won't take reservations for earlier than about 7:30.

Old Aug 10th, 2001, 05:52 AM
Marc David Miller

It can't hurt to phone ahead before your arrival (unless you would feel tied down). I prefer to phone rather than fax because (1) the time difference is not that bad between US and France and (2) if they are filled at a particular time/date, you can immediately and interactively re-schedule the reservation, rather than go back and forth. Phone prices to Europe nowadays are very reasonable. <BR> <BR>Agree with the other comments regarding the early dining time--all the more reason to call ahead in order to see if they will seat you early.

Old Aug 10th, 2001, 06:41 AM
Book Chick

Sue, <BR>Another Fodorite (JOdy) turned me on to a web site called Reserve the Best. Not every bistro/cafe/restaurant in Paris is listed, but they have a very good selection & many restaurants listed. The user (you) pays no fee for the service; I believe the restaurants listed are probably paying a fee to be listed. It's a nice site, because you get to see some pix in many instances & often get history or other info on a restaurant, too. Anyway, we booked through that site & they sent an e-mail confirmation a few days later. They also have a "comments" box for special requests--my cousin is a vegetarian, so I put that down & when they responded via e-mail, they said her diet should be no problem to accomodate. <BR>Bon Appetit! <BR>BC

Old Aug 10th, 2001, 09:44 AM
lisa

Some restaurants have websites and e-mail addresses and allow you to book directly with them via e-mail, thereby saving you a long-distance phone call. You can also see menus on some websites. <BR>Here are some: <BR>www.chantairelle.com <BR>http://www.la-fontaine-de-mars.com/ <BR>www.bastide-odeon.com <BR>Chez Maitre Paul also had a website but I can't seem to find it now. <BR> <BR>Some restaurants I reserved in advance through e-mail and some I just phoned upon arrival a day or so in advance and it worked out fine. <BR> <BR> Many restaurants do not start serving dinner until 7pm.