Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

what do you think of these hotels in spain?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9th, 2001, 11:48 AM
JP

hi folks, <BR>me again. <BR>i want to thank everyone who responded to my last post about "southern spain itinerary" <BR> <BR>you guys have helped us narrow down the places we want to stay, and sites we want to see. <BR> <BR>so, now....for my next question...... <BR>what do you think of these hotels? to refresh it will be 2 couples, with car, looking for moderately priced and centrally located [if possible] accomodations. We're canadian so our dollar isn't that strong but these spots seemed pretty good. thanks in advance <BR> <BR>malaga - anything close to airport <BR>nerja: hotel balcon de europa <BR>ronda: hotel don miguel <BR>seville: fernando iii <BR>granada: hotel guadalupe <BR>cordoba: - anywhere? <BR> <BR>JP

Old Aug 9th, 2001, 01:12 PM
Judi

The Hotel Balcon de Europa has the best location in Nerja. <BR>I missed your earlier post; why do you need a hotel close to the airport in Malaga? Nerja isn't that far away.

Old Aug 9th, 2001, 01:22 PM
Mariarosa

Hi JP! I can comment on the Hotel Don Miguel in Ronda. It is very centrally located, steps from the more expensive Parador. Rooms are comfortable and they have private bathroons with bathtubs. We had a room overlooking the gorge and it was pretty sweet. try to get a room overlooking the gorge. Considering the location and the views of the gorge, we thought it was great value. <BR> <BR>In Cordoba we stayed at the Los Omeyas on Calle Esmeralda. The rooms were not as nice as the Don Miguel in Ronda, nor as airy, but they were certainly fine, with private bathroom, and it had a great location, almost in front of the Mezquita. The price was about the same as Don Miguel in Ronda, a bargain for Cordoba. <BR> <BR>Haven't stayed at the Hotel Guadalupe. I looked it up and it is a 3-star within the Alhambra precinct. When I went to Spain as a student in '94 I stayed at a Hostal Europa within the Alhambra precint. I bet it's the same one, that has been completely upgraded. If it is, it has a great location too. <BR>Enjoy Spain, it looks like you have done your homework!

Old Aug 9th, 2001, 06:51 PM
JP

thanks so much for the help guys. <BR> <BR>Judi...i posted earlier trying to determine a list of places to visit now that i have that i need to find places for us to sleep HA. somehow that seems more difficult. We're thinking Malaga b/c we don't arrive until 9pm by air and have to pick up a car etc....we figure we'll want to crash quickly. <BR> <BR>Mariarosa...thank you so much for your insight. i'll pass it along to my husband and friends. I'm the only one of the 4 who's been to spain before - i CANNOT WAIT! <BR> <BR>anyone else? reviews good or bad are appreciated. <BR> <BR>JP

Old Aug 9th, 2001, 11:39 PM
Pedro

You will find perfect Hotel Fernando IIIīs situation, just by Sta Cruz headquarter and Pilatos palace. Try to get a room not over the street, it might be a bit noisy ( do not worry, there must be just a few which overlook it and the street is narrow, it is not a highway ). I think it is clean and conmfortable. Regarding the arrival day, I would suggest you to stay at Parador del Golf ( 17500 pts/double ) close to the airport or Hotel Isabel ( a small cozy hotel in Torremolinos/Bajondillo (14000 pts/double). In Cordoba and depending on your budget, these hotels have great situation: El Califa ( 14000 pts/double ), Maimonides ( 19000 pts/double ), El Conquistador ( 22000/double ). By the way itīd be better to check out the rates I give you, they could be not absolutely accurate but roughly they give you a clue about it. The rest are not luxury hotels but they all enjoy excellent situation and in my opinion are good elections.

Old Aug 10th, 2001, 04:15 AM
Clare

I was in Malaga last year for a long weekend break from my european trip and stayed at a lovely hotel around 30mins drive from Malaga airport - Kempinski Resort Hotel in Estepona (www.kempinski.com). It was a little pricey, but they do have some great specials from time to time so check it out. (pack your swimsuit because the pools there are great).

Old Aug 10th, 2001, 04:16 AM
Clare

I was in Malaga last year for a long weekend break from my european trip and stayed at a lovely hotel around 30mins drive from Malaga airport - Kempinski Resort Hotel in Estepona (www.kempinski.com). It was a little pricey, but they do have some great specials from time to time so check it out. (pack your swimsuit because the pools there are great).

Old Aug 10th, 2001, 04:50 AM
Mariarosa

Hi JP! ooops! I don't why I wrote Hostal Europa, what I mean to write was Hostal Lupe (as in short for Guadalupe). You guys are going to have a great trip!

Old Aug 10th, 2001, 08:37 AM
gail

JP: I agree with the above poster about the Don Miguel in Ronda. Stayed in a room overlooking the gorge, stupendous view, very clean, nice bathroom, for about $65/night. Perfectly located for walking around old town. <BR>We had dinner in the hotel dining room and the view was very good; when we were there it was too cool to sit outside but they had several levels of patios where it appeared you can eat in warmer weather. <BR>One final note, check other Fodorites or a guide book: I recall there are some distinctions about the type of room to request if you want a double bed vs. just a double room (i.e., 2 beds) in Spain but I can't remember the details.

Old Aug 10th, 2001, 09:59 AM
JP

hi folks, <BR> <BR>one quick question in the middle of all these great posts [and btw it's really helpful so thank you ] <BR> <BR>when you post $65 is that USD or Australian or Canadian etc?? i guess i should clarify...we're canadian so our dollar isn't quite as strong. <BR> <BR>thanks again <BR>JP <BR> <BR>