Reload this Page >

100 hundred best in London

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 30th, 2002, 05:14 AM
Vita

Yearning to be back in London right now. To help me cope:<BR><BR>1) The theatre<BR>2) Clock tower at night<BR>3) Sitting at the picture window of the Rendezvous Cafe by Leicester Square with a cup of coffee and a good book<BR>4) Fish and chips at Sea Shell in Marylebone!<BR>5) Walks through Soho and Convent Garden<BR>6) St. Paul's<BR>7) Westminster Abbey<BR><BR>More later.

Old May 30th, 2002, 05:15 AM
Vita

sorry for screwing up the title

Old May 30th, 2002, 05:42 AM
Ellen

Don't worry about the title -- that duplication only makes it all the more searchable for future reference!<BR><BR>6. St. Paul's -- the view from the very top, plus those last flights of iron stairs inside the wonderful dome.<BR><BR>7. Westminster Abbey -- the charming verger who gave us a delightful, historic yet humorous tour.<BR><BR>8. Sir John Soane Museum. The preserved home of a pre-Victorian-era collector and ecentric. Much more manageable than the giant places (V&A, British Museum) and what wonderful insights into a true eccentric character.<BR><BR>9. Cruise down the Thames to Greenwich.<BR><BR>10. New Globe Theatre. We especially enjoyed the Shakespeare-era artifacts in the museum.<BR>

Old May 30th, 2002, 05:47 AM
Suzy

11. British Library, especially the permanent exhibit of 'treasures.' It includes everything from Lindisfarne Gospels to Magna Carta to Gutenberg to Shakespeare's First Folio to original manuscripts from DaVinci, Lewis Carroll, Handel, and Lennon & McCartney.

Old May 30th, 2002, 05:57 AM
tee

#. Standing on a busy street corner, waiting for another light with thirty or so strangers, after having spent way too much money for a just-ok lunch, and wondering what is so special about this city.

Old May 30th, 2002, 07:19 AM
Vita

Regarding 10: I totally agree. It was fascinating being taken back with a traditional production of Shakespeare. The production of Twelfth Night that I saw was excellent.<BR><BR>12. British Museum - Both the structure itself as well as the exhibits.

Old May 30th, 2002, 08:58 AM
bob

Trafalger Square in the rain

Old May 30th, 2002, 09:01 AM
Chris

The travel writer Bill Bryson sums it up for us:<BR><BR>"I can never understand why Londoners fail to see that they live in the most wonderful city in the world. It is far more beautiful and interesting than Paris, if you ask me, and more lively than anywhere but New York - and even New York can't touch it in a lot of important ways. It has more history, finer parks, a livelier and more varied press, better theatres, more numerous orchestras and museums, leafier squares, safer streets, and more courteous inhabitants than any other large city in the world."<BR><BR>Just his opinion, of course. I happen to share it.

Old May 30th, 2002, 09:03 AM
natalie

Haunted ghost walks, the double decker busses..... Take me back to my home away from home!

Old May 30th, 2002, 09:16 AM
chrisalso

The Tower of London

Old May 30th, 2002, 08:49 PM
janis

Well - we have lost the numbering system so who knows how many things we will end up with - - <BR><BR>But here are 4 more<BR><BR>Geffreye Museum<BR><BR>Drinking a "kiss on the River" at the OXO Tower looking over at St Pauls at night<BR><BR>Hampstead Heath<BR><BR>the Flower walk at Kensington Gardens

Old May 30th, 2002, 08:57 PM
zzzzzz

21. Buckingham Palace

Old May 30th, 2002, 11:33 PM
Carrie

22) St. James Park<BR>23) Somerset House<BR>24) Tate Modern<BR>25) Fiction on Friday night<BR>26) Gordon Ramsey<BR>27) Royal Opera House<BR>28) English National Opera<BR>29) National Theatre<BR>30) National Film Theatre<BR>31) Kenwood open air concerts on warm summer evenings<BR>32) Harvey Nicholls<BR>33) Selfridges<BR><BR>I can go on and on.......

Old May 31st, 2002, 02:26 AM
julie

.....The London Eye<BR>Kensington Palace and the Orangery<BR>Tea at Browns<BR>Harrods<BR>Regent street<BR>Hamleys<BR>The River Cafe<BR>Downing Street

Old May 31st, 2002, 04:02 AM
Ermin

a few more:<BR>43. Regent's park<BR>44. Hoxton square<BR>45. The bridge overlooking Horse Guard parade in St. James' park<BR>46. The bar at Hakkasan<BR>47. Shad Thames<BR>48. King's Road<BR>49. Kew Garden<BR>50. Dim Sum at Jade Garden<BR><BR>

Old May 31st, 2002, 05:17 AM
Vita

51. Walks along the Thames<BR>52. People/pigeon watching at Trafalgar square - didn't feed either one <BR>53. London Walks

Old May 31st, 2002, 05:28 AM
Pierrete

54. Thameswalk and stopping at the Angel and Mayflower pubs.<BR>

Old May 31st, 2002, 05:42 AM
adrienne

55. Ceremony of the Keys - I felt as though I was truly experiencing history.<BR>56. Sloan Museum<BR>57. London Walks<BR>58. Covent Garden<BR>59. London cabs with advertising<BR>60. London Cabbies - courteous and interesting

Old May 31st, 2002, 05:51 AM
David White

61. Courtauld Gallery<BR>62. Ceremony of the Keys<BR>63. St. James's Park in the spring<BR>64. Food hall at Fortnum and Mason<BR>65. Kids watching the street entertainers at Covent Garden<BR>66. Stories told by Yeoman Warders at the Tower of London

Old May 31st, 2002, 05:52 AM
David White

<BR><BR>61. Oops...a duplicate...substitute: attending a chapel service at the Tower of London

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -