COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

10 weeks in Italy, Greece and Turkey

Old Sep 19th, 2013, 04:56 PM
Original Poster

10 weeks in Italy, Greece and Turkey

Hi all,

After just having spent three months in Central America I've decided to leave the beans and rice behind and head to Europe for the last of my travelling days! I have 10 weeks left and was planning to visit Greece and Turkey in that time but have been advised on the road that I can probably visit Italy as well in that time.

Sorry to say, I haven't done much research yet but I am thinking of spending two weeks in Italy from Rome south as I've already seen the north then get a ferry across to Greece where I want to visit a few islands and also make my way to the north. I think I will have 5 to 6 weeks in Greece. Then make my way overland (or by ferry if I end up at that end) to Turkey for the last 3 weeks.

I am backpacking but not on a shoestring budget and expect to travel by public transport most of the way unless I can buy a cheap scooter. And despite backpacking I'm not really interested in party islands!

If anyone could give me some ideas on a great itinerary or any other helpful hints they will be much appreciated.

Many thanks
Old Sep 19th, 2013, 07:16 PM

Don't discount the possibility of a cheap flight from Rome to Athens. Both Aegean Airlines and Olympic Air periodically offer 'saver' fares for as little as €69 one way, all taxes included. They both also offer cheap domestic flights from Athens to the islands. Sign up for their email newsletters and keep a sharp eye out on their websites. And if you plan to do this during the summer months EasyJet and Blu-Express both offer cheap flights as well.

The Italy-Greece ferries aren't necessarily cheap and they take a long time to reach Patras or Igoumenitsa, then you have to take the bus or train into Athens to catch a ferry out into the islands.

You can do some island hopping and end up in Turkey then make your way overland to Istanbul. You haven't mentioned any must-see destinations so it's not realistic to offer an itinerary unless you do.
Old Sep 19th, 2013, 08:47 PM

According to what I can gleam from your post, you are more interested in beaches and the sea rather than less traveled places and hidden gems.

So, your Turkey portion can be :

-Arrive in Fethiye from Rhodes

- Fethiye area 5 days

- Bus to Bodrum

- Bodrum night life and beaches 5 days

- Bus to Cesme, Izmir

- Cesme beaches and night life 5 days

- Bus to Istanbul

- Istanbul for rest of your stay.

You can also get to see a few antique cities and historic places as well as scenic locations on this itinerary just to say you have done so.

If I have misjudged your interests and you wish to visit interesting locations, then you have to specify,
- biblical,
- roman,
- neolithic, hittite
- georgian, armenian,
- greek
- ottoman
- seljuki

- mountains
- lush forests
- strange landscapes
- canyons, rafting
- lakes
- architecture

- exotic cultures and life styles

and pick just a few of above since 3 weeks will be very little for a country as large and as varied as Turkey.

To give you an idea, the population of Istanbul is almost twice the population of the whole of Greece.
Old Sep 19th, 2013, 11:04 PM
kja

You might find some helpful information in the report I wrote about my 3.5 weeks in Turkey last year -- just click on my name to find it. And you can see other trip reports by going to the board for Europe, specifying a country in the "view by country" box, and then scrolling down to the trip reports. There have been several very helpful trip reports on Turkey over the past few years; I'm sure there are some for Greece and Italy, too. I envy your extended travels - enjoy!
Old Sep 19th, 2013, 11:11 PM

I agree with brotherleelove about air vs ferry — in most cases it doesn't make sense to waste time on an Italy > Greece ferry unless you are travelling with a car or motorcycle. If, however, you wish to start in Corfu and then travel in northern Greece it may work well.

Now, as I understand it, you are currently travelling, and will start your Europe trip during the next few weeks beginning with Italy. If that is so, you will be in Greece after the summer season is over, and the islands will be very quiet from October. Most things will still be open on the mainland, though, and some mountain regions will be even busier when the ski season starts.

Were it me I would be tempted to reverse the itinerary, starting in Turkey, then Greece, and ending in Italy.