10 Simple Rules for Venice

Aug 1st, 2003, 07:06 AM
Original Poster

10 Simple Rules for Venice

Just saw this at the BBC News site:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/3111187.stm

Anyone read the whole list?
Aug 1st, 2003, 07:20 AM

I didn't see a list of the ten points, but I'm curious what all is on it. Interesting article.

I don't know if the ten points would change anything because I think you have two breeds of tourists...those that are respectful of other cities, and those who aren't. However, it's worth a try.
Aug 1st, 2003, 07:21 AM

Heather - I think this is it:

http://www.comune.venezia.it/turismo...a/home_eng.asp
Aug 1st, 2003, 07:24 AM

The points seem pretty simple to me. Thanks for the link Steve, and thanks for the article, Heather.
Aug 1st, 2003, 07:24 AM

To be honest, they just look like common politeness to me.
Aug 1st, 2003, 07:42 AM

What a shame that people are so clueless they have to be reminded of such basic behavior! I hope the 10 points helps, but it seems that the very people who really need to recognize and change their behavior are too selfish to do so.
Aug 1st, 2003, 08:30 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the link, Steve. It's certainly a list that reminds me of "Everything Thing I Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten". Can't hurt to remind people of courtesies ... thought, it is such a wonderous city that straying to left and right on bridges is easy to do while gawking.

On a side note ... Steve, thank you for your extensive posts on NE Italy. I'm heading there in October (62 days not that I'm counting) and your info has been such a help.
Aug 1st, 2003, 08:51 AM

Never stop on bridges? So stopping on the Realto to take photos was a "no no"?
Aug 1st, 2003, 08:54 AM

Chicago Heather,

When will you be in Venice? I will be there Oct. 1-5th.
Aug 1st, 2003, 09:11 AM

Thanks for the links, Heather & Steve.

1. Get a map of the city and remember
that Venice is much more than just
St. Mark's Square.

Couldn't agree more.

2. Show respect for the city by helping us keep it clean: never throw litter on the ground or into the canals.

Ditto. People who are so lazy and inconsiderate that they litter should be thrown into the canals.

3. Always wear appropriate clothing. Keep right when walking in the city street. Never stop on bridges. Take off your backpack when on the city boats.

Agree with the bit about backpacks and keeping right seems like a reasonable rule. But "never" stop on bridges? Perhaps on the Rialto bridge that's a reasonable rule but there are plenty of other smaller bridges that do not have that kind of mass foot traffic. And what, exactly, is "appropriate" clothing? In the scheme of things, I find something like littering far more disrespectful than wearing whatever "inappropriate" clothing is.

4. Remember that St. Mark's Square and the surrounding area is an open-air museum (people who picnic in the
square and leave litter behind will be subject to fines).

What about the pigeons when they picnic and leave "litter" behind?

5. Get a Venice Card and use it. The Card offers many advantages and can help us to make you feel welcome in Venice.

Perhaps a good idea but I don't know since we didn't get one.

6. Only use authorized services and transportation. Always ask what the fare will be before boarding.

Si. We learned our lesson the hard way, getting ripped off by a gondolier who wasn't at an official stand. (We agreed on a fare, and he kept to that, but he shortchanged us on the agreed-up amount of time.)

7. Beware of unauthorized peddlers
and watch out for pick-pockets.

Watching out for -- and taking sensible precautions against -- pick-pockets is a great rule anywhere.

Aug 1st, 2003, 11:08 AM
Original Poster

Janda, I'll just miss you ... will be in Venice Oct. 7-12. Prior to that, I'm staying in Castelrotto/Kastelruth (spelling?). The days just don't seem to get fast enough, do they? Where all are you visiting?

Capo, you're dead-on about the pigeon litter. The last time I was there, a group of kids was throwing empty cans and sandwich wrappers off of the vaporetto on the way to Burano. Gah! Had such a difficult time not saying anything.
Aug 1st, 2003, 11:19 AM

Heather,
I will be in Amsterdam from Sept.21-25. I am over worked. I told you the wrong dates. I will be in Venice Oct. 26-Oct. 1st. Then Florence Oct. 1-5th and then Rome from Oct. 5-10th.

I am so excited that the waiting is difficult. This will be my 3rd time in Italy.
Aug 1st, 2003, 11:31 AM
Original Poster

Have a wonderful trip ... sounds like a great itinerary!
Aug 1st, 2003, 11:46 AM

I wish they would have posted one more.
Don't write any grafitti on the buildings.

We were surprised and disappointted to see so much grafitti in Venice...especially on the "roll down" metal window covers when the stores are closed.