Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Easy place to visit between Schiphol and Amsterdam?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10th, 2012, 08:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,

In May 2012, we will be starting our next European adventure in Amsterdam.

Our plane lands in Schiphol early in the morning and we can't check into our Amsterdam hotel until around 2PM. This sounds like a perfect opportunity to fit in another siteseeing stop.

I was wondering if there is a quick and easy partial-day trip we can do from the airport?
We'll have our backpacks with us, so hopefully there will be luggage lockers in whatever town we decide to stop in.

I was kicking around the idea of Harlaam. But its 60 minutes by train because it looks like it stops in Amsterdam on the way. (?)

Any suggestions of a nice place to stop for a walkabout and a lunch / beer / relaxing before we continue to Amsterdam?
Old Feb 10th, 2012, 08:57 AM

Schipol to the center of Amsterdam doesn't take much time at all. Why not just go right to your hotel, drop the bags there (they will certainly hold them for you), and take a stroll around the city until check-in time? Seems a lot more straightforward than schlepping around with your backpacks.
Old Feb 10th, 2012, 09:11 AM

I agree with St.Cirq, but if you want to go to Haarlem then it takes at most 30 minutes. Change at Amsterdam Sloterdijk on all trains except the one on the full hour.
Old Feb 10th, 2012, 09:19 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I also agree with StCirq. Your other plan sounds awful complicated with little to gain. Just go directly to the city, drop bags at the hotel in the morning, have a street map with you, and do whatever you'd plan to do after you'd checked into hotel.
Old Feb 10th, 2012, 09:48 AM
Original Poster

We've been to Amsterdam before, but never seen any of the other towns that are so near (other than a Keukenhof visit).

I just thought this would be a nice chance to jump off the train and see someplace else for a couple hours.

I did see that Haarlem station has lockers, I was just hoping for something on the way to Amsterdam from the airport. We didn't want to add a "long" train ride after 10 hours on an airplane.

Maybe you're right about just going straight to Amsterdam, but feels like a missed opportunity.
Old Feb 10th, 2012, 09:51 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Isn't it only a 15-20 min. train ride between the airport and central Amsterdam? I don't think there's all that much between the two, or that you're missing an 'opportunity' by going directly to the hotel and dropping your bags first, especially after a 10 hours flight. Save your day-tripping for another day, when you aren't tired and carrying a backpack.
Old Feb 10th, 2012, 09:57 AM

It's a 15-minute trip. Do you have a map? There isn't any town or city to jump off in between the airport and the city center - it's just suburbs. And how are you missing out on an opportunity? You've got the same amount of time to work with no matter how you plan it.
Old Feb 10th, 2012, 10:11 AM

Drop your luggage off, find a nice café or a coffee shop if you are that way inclined, relax, get your bearings and enjoy the city.

Go to Haarlem on another day, it is an easy trip from Amsterdam.
Old Feb 10th, 2012, 11:15 AM
Original Poster

"if you want to go to Haarlem then it takes at most 30 minutes. Change at Amsterdam Sloterdijk on all trains except the one on the full hour."

@hetismij2 - Thank you, I think thats do-able. Maybe we'll try.
Old Feb 10th, 2012, 11:16 AM

What he asked: "Any suggestions of a nice place to stop for a walkabout and a lunch / beer / relaxing before we continue to Amsterdam?"

What he didn't ask: "Do you think I should stop for a walkabout and a lunch / beer / relaxing before we continue to Amsterdam?"

What everyone answered: "Do you think I should stop for a walkabout and a lunch / beer / relaxing before we continue to Amsterdam?"

What you should've answered: "Any suggestions of a nice place to stop for a walkabout and a lunch / beer / relaxing before we continue to Amsterdam?"

My answer: Haarlem's your best bet, albeit a bit out of the way.
Old Feb 10th, 2012, 11:18 AM

there are direct buses from Schiphol - right outside arrivals hall to Haarlem - and to me Haarlem would be the chocie - great town for a half day or so and then trains to Amsterdam - there are lockers in Haarlem station but at times I noticed they can be full - I have stayed in Haarlem now several years instead of Amsterdam and day tripped in - Haarlem has great rail links to all of Holland. But the bus does not take long because it goes direct, by train yes you go via Amsterdam-Sloterdijk station - like two sides of a triangle rather than the direct route the buses, which run over a totally dedicated often elevated busway most of the way.
Old Feb 10th, 2012, 03:32 PM

The #300 Zuidtangent bus that leaves every six minutes or so directly across from the terminal to Haarlem is not only fast and direct, it is a great ride. They created a right-of-way for the bus route that is like a virtual train track - - it has nice views as it travels through fields and lightly-built-up areas with interesting housing designs. It is an experience by itself.

If you take it all the way to the station in Haarlem you can leave bags there, walk through town, and then take the train from Haarlem to Amsterdam.

Another alternative is to leave your bags at Schiphol, then take the #300 to Haarlem Centrum Verwulft - - which is right in the center of town, next to the market by V&O with a great fish stand (the train station, on the other hand is a touch of a hike from the center), then bus back to Schiphol, pick up the bags, and train to Amsterdam.

Haarlem is great for shopping to pick up cheap essentials at discount shops and excellent cheese at good prices at shops or markets.

(Please be aware, also, that even though you can't technically check in to your AMS hotel till 2pm, that you could probably just go there and they will hold your bags till a room opens up - - and there is also a chance that there IS a room already open, and they will let you check in way early!)
Old Feb 11th, 2012, 05:00 AM

It would be a shame to miss the Haarlem train station - one of the neatest looking train sheds I've seen - grandiose and old - huge dome - but taking the bus from and to Schiphol is a good idea. Drop by the Haarlem VVV or Tourist Office for town map and all relevant info on what to see on it - VVV used to be next to train station but I think it may now be near where dfourth says to bet off the bus if not going to the train station - in the heart of the pedestrian shopping zone. The Frans Hal Museum showcasing that Dutch Masters masters occupies a neat old convent in a cute part of the old town.
Old Feb 11th, 2012, 09:50 AM
Original Poster

Thanks PalenQ, great info as always.

@dfourh - I like your idea, the bus sounds exactly what we were looking for.

We'll take the bus all the way to the Haarlem train station and leave our bags so we can walk around, then take the train from Haarlem to Amsterdam in the afternoon. Thank you!