Reload this Page >

10 HOUR LAYOVER AT GATWICK

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8th, 1997, 07:56 PM
CPOTTER

We arrive at Heathrow 6AM and depart from Gatwick at 10PM. We have a dayroom at the Gatwick Hotel (for a nap). Is there siteseeing around Gatwick? Do you recommend going into London? What's the best way?

Old Sep 8th, 1997, 08:10 PM
Dawn Rene'

how's the weatherz?

Old Sep 8th, 1997, 10:25 PM
Tricia

Just go downstairs at airport to the Gatwick Express. Buy a ticket (at vending machine or stand in line) and trains leave every 15 minutes and go nonstop to London-Victoria Station. From there take a taxi, there is a queu outside for waiting. We took a bus tour of the city that took 3 hours and stopped for photo ops. It was small, only 11 people and on an old fashioned bus. Found ph number in hotel lobbies in the many brochures that abound. Hyde Park is beautiful and fun to walk. Oh, the train ride is 30 minutes and upgrade to first class, its worth it.

Old Sep 9th, 1997, 10:09 AM
sgorces

Another choice would be to go into Victoria Station straight from Heathrow (Bus or tube) and check your bags at Victoria Station baggage hold. Tour around London in the AM (a bit more peaceful then) and claim your bags in the early afternoon. Catch the Gatwick Express from Victoria and have a nap in the late PM. Gatwick Express takes about 35 min and costs around 8L. This arrangement will save you the bus transfer from Heathrow to Gatwick and the return trip from Gatwick to London. If your jumping the puddle over night you may be tired, but push on!

Old Oct 3rd, 1997, 07:16 AM
Walter Jacques

I agree with the person who said to park your bags at Victoria Station - I've done it - it's safe and makes your little excursion pleasant.

If you're there on a Saturday (or is it Sunday?) morning, be SURE to visit Speaker's Corner (Northeast corner of Hyde Park), not far at all from Victoria Station. You'll learn where the phrase 'getting up on your soapbox' came from.

If you want some quick souvenirs, the Hard Rock Cafe is near the Green Park tube station, but there are zillions of places to get souvenirs on Oxford Street, which extends east from Marble Arch (another tube station).

All of this is pretty close to Victoria Station.

Have a great trip!

Walter Jacques
[email protected]

Old Oct 3rd, 1997, 10:25 AM
Denise

Absolutely go into London! It maty sound corny, but take one of the double decker bus tours - it really gives you a great overview of the city in a short time. If I remember correctly, the tours take about 2 hours. Some of my favorite sights - Big Ben, Picadilly Circus, and Trafalgar Square. You can pick up the bus tours at Trafalgar Square.
Contact the British Tourst office to get some maps and info so you can be off and running as soon as you get there - TEL 212-986-2266.
Have a great time!!! Cheers