10 days is Paris....Side Trip?

Old Jan 19th, 2000, 12:08 PM
Jutta

10 days is Paris....Side Trip?

Hiya- I will be traveling to Paris for the first time in Mid March. I thought 10 day was long enought that I might try to hit another city. Any recommendations? I don't want to do anything too touristy- Mostly walk around, soak up the culture and eat! I will be traveling by train with limited finaces. Thanks!

Old Jan 19th, 2000, 02:22 PM
Bob Brown

I think Versailles could count as a side trip from Paris. Certainly other candidates are Chantilly, Chartres, Fontainbleau, Vaux-le-Vicomte, the basilique (cathedral) at Saint Denis and, if you like art history, Giverny near the town of Vernon is a good way to see where Monet painted.
I am sure other posters can add to this list.

Old Jan 20th, 2000, 06:26 AM
Lori

Unfortunately Giverny will be closed. Versaille is a must do. Also, if you like champagne, Reims is a fun day trip. You can take a tour at Mumm and Taittiger without making advanced reservations. Also, the cathedral in Reims is absolutely gorgeous, it is where all of the Kings of France were crowned.

Old Jan 20th, 2000, 06:45 AM
dan woodlief

If you want another city, I would consider Reims or Rouen, both of which are not too far away. I would consider Versailles as a must for anyone going to Paris for at least 3-4 days.

Old Jan 20th, 2000, 11:10 AM
elaine

Hi
In addition to the good suggestions above, you could head toward Burgundy and visit Dijon and/or Lyon. Very good food to be had.
In a different season I would wholly recommend Avignon and Arles, but I don't know what they are like in the late winter.

Old Jan 20th, 2000, 11:47 AM
Lori

There is so much to see in Paris you might not want to go too far afield!
You could take the train down to Chartres (about 1 hr) and enjoy the town and cathedral for the day tho. Versailles, Fountainbleau, etc. are all "day trips" as well. We enjoyed the city of Reims which is an easy day trip as well. I guess it really depends on what interests you (and the weather .. it can be cold, cool, rainy, pleasant, etc. if you know what I mean)