10 days in UK: advice please!

Nov 3rd, 2010, 08:28 PM
Original Poster

10 days in UK: advice please!

Hi everyone,
I will have 10 days in UK and will be spending the first 3 days in London (my sister lives in London so want to take her out of town)
I'll be travelling w/ my bro and sis. 3 of us are in early twenties.
We want to go to Edinburgh and visit my cousin in Nottingham.
Here's our plan. I know it's pretty tight but we're willing to change since we havn't booked anything.

Day1-3 : London
Day 4: (Drive) Oxford > Cotswold > Bath
Day 5: Bath > Stratford-upon-avon > Alton towers
Day 6: Alton towers > Nottingham
Day 7: (Train?) Nottingham > Edinburgh
Day 8-9: Edinburgh
Day 10: London

I don't know how much time we need for each town so we just thought about where we want to go and the driving time.
Thank you in advance!
Nov 3rd, 2010, 10:55 PM

Days 4-6 are 'crazy making'.

(Note - "Cotswold" is not a place. The Cotswolds is a fairly large region)

But just the drive from London > Oxford, to say Stow-on-the-Wold (just one Cotswold village) > Bath would take a minimum of 4hours. That doesn't count the hour it takes to find the Oxford Park & Ride lot and get into the city and back out to one's car, 4 or 5 hours to see a bit of the city, an hour in Stow, and 5-8 hours to skim the surface in Bath.

Basically -- Oxford, a tiny corner of the Cotswolds and Bath is at very minimum 2 days and that would be at a dead run.

And your next day Bath > Stratford > Stoke on Trent is 5-ish hours driving w/o spending ANY time in either Stratford or the theme park. Just driving in to central Stratford and finding a parking place can take more than 30 minutes

Stoke on Trent (Alton Towers) to Nottingham is maybe 90 minutes if you don't hit traffic.

If you actually want to see all those places including some time w/ your cousin - you are talking 5 full days. I personally think your whole plan needs re-thinking and deciding which of Oxford/Cotswolds/Bath/Stratford/Alton Towers you can cut out.
Nov 4th, 2010, 12:48 AM

You could save a day by booking your flights as an open-jaw aka multi-city so you fly into London and out of Edinburgh. This saves you the need to return to London in time for your flight home.

As an alternative if you've booked your tickets already and your flight isn't until very late morning you could take the sleeper train from Edinburgh which arrives in London before 7:00am.

If your cousin in Nottingham you can get you to East Midland Airport then you could fly to Edinburgh which would be a lot quicker than the train.

Unless dates are fixed I would change things round substantially and start in London, visit your cousin in Nottingham as a day trip from London, travel overnight to Edinburgh on the sleeper train or an early morning day train, fly to Bristol, pick up a car and visit Bath / Cotswolds / Oxford & Stratford-upon-Avon before returning to LHR for the flight home. This would mean losing Alton Towers from your trip but it's a lot more manageable
Nov 4th, 2010, 12:58 AM
Original Poster

What if we cut Edinburgh out? It'd be 6 days out of London.
We want to keep Alton towers too.
We've found some interesting Cotswold villages that we want to visit such as Chipping Campden, Bibury and Burford but not sure about the order.

Can you suggest places to visit/stay along the way (w/ 2 nights in Bath) from
1. Oxford>Bath
2. Bath>Alton towers
3. Alton towers>London

Thank you!
Nov 4th, 2010, 01:00 AM
Original Poster

and I might convince my cousin to come to see us somewhere along our trip instead.
Nov 4th, 2010, 07:12 AM

There are no interesting towns in the Cotswalds, though each on there own is just a nice place to visit, have lunch and wander on. Oxford is on the edge and is worth a good bit of time, use the park and ride if you drive to it rather than clog up the town centre
Nov 5th, 2010, 06:56 AM

That's a bit of a sweeping statement, Bilbo
"no interesting towns in the Cotswolds" Well, it depends what you call interesting! For example Chipping Campden has a plethora of wonderful old buildings, from 15th Century St James church; the Woolstaplers Hall (1340) to the ancient Market Hall. The Guild of Handicrafts began in the town in 1902 and is still home to craftspeople. There's a lovely museum of the Arts & Crafts near the church. In addition CC is the start of the Cotswold Way long distance path and is surrounded by beautiful countryside.
Nov 5th, 2010, 07:25 AM

As a proud Cotswold inhabitant, I totally agree with Bilbo.

If you're interested in Britain's Art & Crafts movement, the museum at Chipping Campden is facsinating. But if you've got a couple of days and want to see Oxford, Bath, Stratford, Alton Towers (no comment) and Edinburgh, our pretty towns and villages are going to be priority number 4,738,760. As for nice old buildings: Oxford and Bath have got hundreds more, and they're prettier and older.

To be really honest, the Cotswolds for most people are just a scenic backdrop, and a 3-4 hour drive through them - though no adequate substitute for a 6-hour walk - are precisely what they want.

Just get a map, drive from Oxford to Bath, but allow a few hours extra to meander through Chipping Campden and Burford, and to look at Bibury (the place Gertrude Stein really had in mind when she said "there's no there there") None are on the direct route - which will take you far longer than you'd imagine - but so what? Actually, Burford and Bibury really aren't that far off the Great Circle route: it's Chipping Campden
Nov 5th, 2010, 07:43 AM

bellini, I understand your comments, however it is frankly bizarre with the whole of the UK to visit that our international visitors end up going to see a bunch of gold coloured cottages in rolling green fields. I too have lived in the area and enjoyed it but in comparison with the rolling fields around Fountains abbey (for instance) they are just dull and when compared with the Shetlands or Orkney are close to ditch water.

We are wrong to send our visitors to the same six places, Cotswalds, Oxford, Stratford, Stonehenge, Cambridge and London and just keep the rest of the place to ourselves. Still at least we don't get burried in tourists like Burford does
Nov 7th, 2010, 08:05 AM

You have to rationalise the English bits. That either means going to fewer places or cancelling Edinburgh. Only you can say which you prefer.