Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Anyone use laterooms "secret rooms" in Edinburgh

Oct 27th, 2010, 11:06 PM
Original Poster

Just wondering if anyone has booked these. The descriptions are so vague I don't know whether the properties are a good value or not.
Oct 28th, 2010, 02:12 AM

No but I've used it in London. Try using part of the description to google on, and you will quite likely find the same description in the 'non secret rooms' section.
Oct 28th, 2010, 04:05 AM

I've used the Secret Rooms in other parts of the UK and have always been very pleased with the standard of hotel. If they say 4 star, that's what you get.

We last used it in London a few months ago and got a greatly reduced price on a Hilton.
Oct 28th, 2010, 04:38 AM

Ah, I've just had a look at the website and maybe they've got wise since I last used it - there is indeed hardly any description of each hotel on which to match. Maybe you could try doing a secret list and a non-secret list for the same dates etc and comparing stars & distance from town ? (Although their star ratings look a bit dodgy - 5* seems to include B&Bs.) What parameters are you inputting ? If you let me know I'll put in the same and see if I can work out what they are.
Oct 28th, 2010, 08:03 AM
Original Poster

Caroline, thank you! I would love your help.

edinburgh
Nov 3
2nights
2adults

Also, what are they referring to when they quote distance to "city centre"?
Oct 28th, 2010, 09:57 AM

"what are they referring to when they quote distance to "city centre"?"

That usually means the distance to Princes Street (or sometimes to Waverly Station - but basically one and the same)
Oct 28th, 2010, 10:21 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, when I google "city centre" it pops up a little north of Waverly Station.

janisj -- do you know where the Airlink drops you off at Waverly station? If we stay at the Fraser Suites, is that walkable with a small rolling suitcase or do we need a taxi?
Oct 28th, 2010, 10:41 AM

Fraser Suites is very walkable from Waverly Station - but the bus has a stop on Waverly Bridge which is even nearer. It is mostly up hill but very close.
Oct 29th, 2010, 04:09 AM

Haven't got a huge amount of time but here's what I suspect from a quickish check.

Looks like 'Stunning Hotel in Great Location (5*, 0.3 miles) must be the Hotel Missoni which is quite new and supposed to be very swish, although I don't have first hand experience and indeed haven't heard any 2nd hand accounts. It seems to be very cool and stylish as you'd probably expect - I might be a bit worried my clothes aren't up to it, but that's just me ! Location is excellent for just a couple of days seeing the main sites (I assume that's wht you are doing ?) as it is right next to the Royal Mile, about 1/4-1/3 of the way down.

Can't work out "Luxury Apartments in a great location" (4*, 0.4 miles) as they allegedly have a gym and I can't see any fitting all those criteria.

I think "Elegant converted building near major attractions" (4*, 0.3 miles) is Le Monde - in what was originally a Georgian townhouse, had been used as offices & converted to hotel/bars/restaurants/nightclub maybe about 4 years ago. Very trendy, on one of main shopping streets in the New Town (George St). Could be noisy but probably the coolest choice if you are young & trendy.

"Prestigious, classic central hotel" (4*, 0.7 miles) I think is the Roxburghe - again a v. central location in the New Town, probably is 4* but I wouldn't call it prestigious. Maybe like an old-style Hilton in an older building ?

"Relax & unwind" must be the Novotel Edinburgh Park - avoid. Novotels are normally quite nice but this is in a business/light industrial estate right out on the edge of the city.

If I were choosing from these, I think I'd go for the Missoni - £225 for 2 nights seems a very good price for that.

Caroline (not young & trendy)
Oct 29th, 2010, 06:13 AM

"Fraser Suites is very walkable from Waverly Station - but the bus has a stop on Waverly Bridge which is even nearer. It is mostly up hill but very close."

Waverley Bridge is where the station is. There isn't a nearer stop. You could get off at the stop on Princes Street by the National Galleries and walk up The Mound which is probably quicker overall than going to Waverley Bridge

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&...ites+edinburgh

(note the station entrance IS on Waverley Bridge and not North Bridge as the map suggests
Oct 30th, 2010, 10:34 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your help.

Decided to go with Fraser suites for our first 2 nights... then booked our last night (after driving around) using secret rooms and got the George Hotel. Satisfied with the selection.

Alanrow, good tip. Will do.
Oct 31st, 2010, 11:28 AM

In case anyone wonders, I've stayed at the Missoni. It is as Caroline says. I liked it but not as much as the Scotsman, or, frankly, the better rooms in the George.

The bar is just.. wierd.
Oct 31st, 2010, 12:46 PM

I was very pleased with out stay at the Fraser Suites in July. Wonderful room with many amenities, great bathroom, and location is terrific. I think you'll be happy.
Nov 1st, 2010, 07:24 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the reassurance! We're looking forward to trying out both!
Nov 5th, 2010, 04:34 AM

Interesting, Sheila, thanks. Better rooms in the George, eh ? I used to work in Thistle Street behind the George and thought the back of the building looked disappointing - amall & with smallish windows (and assumed any grand old Georgian rooms would be public rooms). But I had how nicely they might be furnished. May now have to experience the weird bar in the Missoni
Nov 7th, 2010, 08:12 AM

The better rooms in the George are on the top floor at the back looking over the river. I've been lucky to have one once