10 days in paris--best transport option

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19th, 2006, 08:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be in paris for 10 days in May and I am trying to think of the best transportation modes (best meaning most economical for my plans). My hotel's website claims to have shuttle service to and from the airport, but I haven't called them yet to find out the cost, so at this stage I am assuming that I'd take the train into Paris from CDG. I arrive in Paris on a Thursday and I plan to do mostly walking/local metro until Sunday, when I plan to go to Versailles. Then from Monday to Friday, museums, meandering, etc. and then I go back to CDG Saturday. So here's my question: Would it make sense to buy a 5 day Paris Visite for zone 1-5 during the first half of my trip (arrival through Versailles) and a week-long Carte Orange (1-3)for the week through Friday, paying on Saturday for an extra ticket to CDG? I checked the price of two 5-day Paris Visites for zones 1-5 and it seemed ridiculous for my plans. Do any more experienced travelers have more economical/more streamlined suggestions? Sunday in Versailles is a must because of the equine performance scheduled that day, and I would REALLY prefer not to use taxis.
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 08:57 AM

It depends on how much walking and riding you plan to do each day.

Thursday: single RER ticket CDG to hotel M&eacute;tro and <i>carnet</i> tickets, or 2-zone <i>Mobilis</i> plus a single ticket from CDG to La Plaine Stade de France (to get you into Zone 2).

Friday - Saturday: <i>carnet</i> tickets, or 2-zone <i>Mobilis</i> if you're taking more than 4 rides a day.*

Sunday: Versailles <i>Forfait Loisir</i> (if you aren't going anywhere else), or 4-zone <i>Mobilis</i> (if you are).

Monday - Saturday: 2-zone <i>Carte Orange</i> plus a ticket La Plaine-CDG on Saturday.

*Those under 26 years old can use a <i>Ticket Jeunes</i> instead of <i>Mobilis</i> on weekends and holidays at about half the cost.
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 09:42 AM
ltr

Don't forget to purchase your entry ticket into Versailles when you buy your RER ticket. The combined price is 21E versus 20E for the entry plus around 8E? for the RER trip.

Old Feb 19th, 2006, 12:38 PM

The combined ticket ltr refers to is called a <i>Forfait Loisir</i> (Leisure Package). It includes round-trip train fare from Paris to Versailles, plus admission to <u>all</u> of the sights at the Chateau. You buy it at the train station (SNCF or RER, depending on which route you take).
Old Feb 20th, 2006, 06:46 AM
Original Poster

Thank you very much for the breakdown of options, Robespierre and thanks for the tip on Versailles, ltr. I hope the weather will be clear and pleasant enough for walking through most of Paris, but I will probably use the Metro at least 2x a day. I appreciate your help.
Old Feb 20th, 2006, 05:49 PM
ltr

May should be fairly nice weather. I was just there last week, and we walked every day. It was a little cold but with a winter coat and a warm scarf and gloves, we were fine. We were also there last March-April and had many days that were sweater weather.