Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

10 days in Europe - need travel suggestions.

Dec 17th, 2003, 09:50 PM
Original Poster

My friend and I are flying into Geneva on Feb. 27th and leaving March 7th. We have never been to Europe and need some advice on where to go and what to do. We are in our early twenties and looking to shop/sightsee during the day and party all night long.

Should we go to Spain, Italy, Austria, Germany, France, or spend most of our time in Switzerland? I'd like to visit at least 2 countries while we are there.

Any ideas?
Dec 18th, 2003, 05:42 AM

Out of curiosity, if you have no idea where you'd be interested in visiting, why did you choose Geneva for your destination? Is a business trip or family visit?
Dec 18th, 2003, 06:38 AM
Original Poster

There are several places I would love to visit while there, but in dealing with a time restriction I would like to know the best of the best. The best nightlife, shopping, sightseeing. Geneva seemed like a good starting point due to its central location. Neither business, nor family. It's one of those "last minute, let's go see Europe while we're still young" sort of trip.
Dec 18th, 2003, 06:55 AM

Geneva, while geographically "in the middle", isn't really all that close to the places I would recommend for a first trip to Europe filled with shopping and sightseeing all day and partying all night. In a week, you can cover very little of what you propose. Geneva borders on France so perhaps you could spend a day or two there (although Geneva isn't known as a party town)and then go to Paris. Perhaps it would be a good idea to think about what you really want to see and do and come back with more specifics.
Dec 18th, 2003, 06:57 AM

In 10 days I would skip Geneva and fly into Britain. You could do the UK in 10 days, or split your time between Paris and London
Dec 18th, 2003, 07:12 AM

AMSTERDAM, AMSTERDAM, AMSTERDAM!!!

Don't know how much fun you can have in Switzerland compared to some of the red light district towns in Germany and Holland, or the bigger cities like Munich that tend to party alot.

Don't know if you have to fly into Geneva, or do you have some flexibility?

Not sure what kind of partying you are expecting to do.

If you do indeed want to party, then there is no better than the red light district in Amsterdam.

Been there a few times. Always had ton of fun.

We did the Heineken brewery three days in row. Got there at 10AM, paid $5 to get through the door. Small tour. 2 hours of drinking in the hospitality room upstairs.

Bought more beer, did the canal boats with the beer. Slept for a few hours and off to the red light district for the balance of the day.

We left on a 10:35 evening train for Rome, but ended up getting off the rain in Lucern Switzerland around 6AM. Never got back on the train for Rome. Stayed in Switzerland for 5 days. Lot of fun. Pretty clean fun, not like the fun you'll have in Munich, Amsterdam, or Hamburg.

You may want to fly into Germany. Do the Munich thing. Plenty of fun in Munich. Catch a night train to Amsterdam. Do the Amsterdam thing. Get over to Switzerland and fly home from there.

have a great time
Dec 18th, 2003, 07:22 AM
Original Poster

Winnepeg:

Thanks for awesome advice! That's excatly the kind of suggestions I need. What about a Geneva-Munich-Salzburg-Florence-Geneva loop. Is that too much in 10 days?
Dec 18th, 2003, 07:48 AM

It's gonna be cold! I'd head south into sunny Italy, but that's just me.

If it was later in the year, I'd say stay in Switzerland.
Dec 18th, 2003, 08:24 AM
Tat

I want to ask WHY if someone asks how to visit as many countries as possible - adviser will tell to stay in London for 10 days ?
I am sure when you are in 20th and not on the budget you have to "sample' as much as you can so to decide whether you want to come back to this place again for longer. Am I right ?

Listen to Winnepeg
Amsterdam it is.

Winnepeg
can married ladys go and have fun (with HD ofcourse) !
Dec 18th, 2003, 08:27 AM

Don't know if you are men, or women.

The advice I give to guys may be a bit different than with women.

This is how I used to handle the 10 or so trips I made to Europe when I was in my 20's. Boy, would it ever be nice to be 25 again.

Anyway, I would arrive in Europe, usually Frankurt. Get from the airport to the train station (Train connections from the airport to the Hauptbahnhof is simple). With Eurail pass in hand, I'd find the next train leaving Frankfurt for some town in Southern Germany (Berchtesgaden), Austria, Holland (Amsterdam), Switzerland (Lucerne), or even France (Paris). Never mattered where I was going, and I'd be on that train in a heart beat.

I have always felt that it makes travelling so less dissapointing if I have no idea where I want to go. Can't be disasapointed if you have no plans.

There are plenty of cities you can get to, to have alot fun and then leave on a night train to get to the next.
Frankfurt to Paris is an overnight train, for example. Amsterdam to Lucerne is another. There are plenty to look for.

Keep in mind that some of the best partying will be in Amsterdam, Paris, Rome, Hamburg, or any other bigger city that has things like a red light district.

But, there is also great times to be had in Salzburg, Innsbruck, Lucern, Munich, Berchtesgaden. Alot will depend on just how out of control you want to be.

Also, keep in mind that that you are in your early 20's and that there will planty of other times for you to do the shopping thing when you get older. Keep in mind that a trip to Europe, shopping in Paris, Munich, Rome etc, may absolutley break you with the Euro exchange where it is today.

Do the smaller towns along with a taste of the great partying that goes on throughout Europe and you'll find that you'll be coming to Europe plenty of times throughout your lifetimes.

Have fun. Watch your budget and keep doing your research. You'll find plenty of quality Fodorites that can help put together a great trip.

Once you get the Europe bug, you'll find that you will be back and back again. It's got me so bad that I will be in Germany from may 23rd to July 19th. Can't wait. Reading Fodor's each day gets my blood pumping.

have a great time
Dec 18th, 2003, 08:43 AM

Just to clarify, I didnt mean stay in London for 10 days....I meant do the UK in 10 days...Scotland, Ireland, England. Lots of drinking and partying to be had there! Or if you wanted a slower paced time, London and PAris.