10 days in Bosnia and Herzegovina

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28th, 2020, 12:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Due to this Covid-19 situation and my inability to travel (all sorts of difficulties from wearing masks to paying for the tests, problems at the customs etc) I decided to give it a try and visit as many places as I could in my own country Bosnia and Herzegovina. In 3 separate occasions I spent 10 days at some 50 locations. We started from Mostar and drove along M17 road through Neretva river canyon (one of the most beautiful in Europe). Mountains are on each side, Čabulja and Čvrsnica on the left and Prenj on the right with highest peaks in B&H. At Jablanica we turned left and stopped near Prozor at fairy tale-like Rama Lake (Ramsko jezero in Bosnian) and a Franciscan Monastery Šćit for a couple of hours. Then we continued to Travnik via Bugojno. Travnik was capital of Bosnia for 150 years. Immortalized in Nobel Prize winner Ivo Andric’s famous novel “Travnik Chronicle” whose house of birth is today a museum. We (me and my wife) stayed in Hotel Vezir Palace, some 200 m uphill from the centre, just across the Old Castle, and were very satisfied. There are many beautiful things in Travnik but I would mention Sulejmanija Mosque or “šarena” in Bosnian (=multy coloured). After 2 days in Travnik we proceeded to Jajce, or to be more precise to Plivsko lake where we stayed for another 2 days at Plivsko jezero hotel. The most amazing attraction there are old water mills. The lake which hosts many canoeing and kayaking competitions offers many opportunities for outdoor activities from mentioned water sports to hiking. We also visited Jajce, beautiful small medieval town, but I didn’t include it in my film because I personally am not satisfied with its present condition. The most beautiful thing in Bihać, where we stayed next 2 days is Una national Park. Words are weak to describe its beauty so I will just mention Štrbački Buk (waterfall), Martin Brod, Lohovo and Kulen Vakuf. We stayed at “hotel Kostelski Buk” just outside Bihac located near the waterfall with the same name.

Sarajevo. You need at least 2-3 days to explore it but we stayed 2 this time since we have been there many times. We stayed in Europe hotel in the center, very near to the Old Town, 5 star hotel which should be nominally the best in the country but unfortunately it was a mistake. The service was basic (I would rather say awful), far below 2 stars. The city itself was amazing as usual, Old Town, Ferhadija (main pedestrian street for walking and shopping), people, food (try ćevapi in “Željo” and burek in “Bosna”) Ilidža with source of Bosnia river (Vrelo Bosne). On our way to Mostar we stopped in one of many restaurants that offer roasted lamb. I won’t describe my home town Mostar and its famous Old Bridge in detail, see this gem for yourself in the film but I will mention that whenever you visit it don’t miss Blagaj, small town just 10 km from Mostar, and especially source of Buna river (Vrelo Bune) at the foot of giant cliff. I can guarantee you will never forget that scene. And then there is Trebižat river near Ljubuški and Čapljina with its spectacular waterfalls Kravica, Koćuša and Čeveljuša. From several hours of recorded material I have also made a 6 min video "Amazing Bosnia and Herzegovina" which is available on YouTube in case I can not post it here.

Blagaj, source of Buna river

Sarajevo City Hall

Neretva river canyon with Prenj mountain in the background

Ramsko lake near Prozor

Ramsko lake

Water mills Plivsko lake

Štrbački buk, waterfall, Una river near Bihać

Old Bridge, Mostar

Old Sep 28th, 2020, 12:35 PM
Original Poster

And here is the film I mentioned, where I tried to put my 10 day adventure into 6 minutes
Old Sep 28th, 2020, 12:38 PM

Received 19 Likes on 4 Posts
Nice of you to do a report as a local. So interesting and what a pretty landscape.
Old Sep 28th, 2020, 01:55 PM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post
Thanks so much for your TR and gorgeous pictures! Especially loved the film and your editing skills!
Old Sep 28th, 2020, 02:36 PM

Received 19 Likes on 4 Posts
Wow, great video!
Old Sep 28th, 2020, 03:53 PM

Lovely. Thank you so much for sharing. TRs cheer me up.
Old Sep 28th, 2020, 09:37 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to you all. I am so glad you liked my TR, photos and video.
Old Sep 28th, 2020, 10:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What an incredibly professional, gripping and well-done video! You should send it to your tourism board so they can upload it on their website. Well done!
Old Sep 29th, 2020, 03:30 AM
Original Poster

Thank you kleeblatt for your kind words. Actually it a good idea maybe I'll try just that..
Old Sep 30th, 2020, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by kleeblatt
What an incredibly professional, gripping and well-done video! You should send it to your tourism board so they can upload it on their website. Well done!
Agreed-outstanding video! BiH was part of my 2020 trip plan that had to be postponed due to COVID. Here’s hoping that I will make it there next year in 2021.
Old Sep 30th, 2020, 12:30 PM

Thanks for the report and the beautiful photos! I agree with Treesa: trip reports cheer me up! We need them during this awful year, especially since the US (where I live) still does not have the virus under control.
Old Sep 30th, 2020, 12:43 PM

What a great idea! I especially loved the falls and the house reflections. Bravo.
Old Sep 30th, 2020, 10:44 PM

Thank you for posting. I agree you should send your video to the tourist board. I would love to get back to your country, Mostar is beautiful.