Search

10 Day Trip Report to Italy, Rome, Florence, Cinque Terre

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26th, 2004, 06:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
10 Day Trip Report to Italy, Rome, Florence, Cinque Terre

Day 1
We took Delta to Newark then Alitalia to Rome. Thanks to DHs frequent flyer miles, we were able to fly business class which was spacious and comfortable. The plane was older but comfortable. Service was ok (I had heard horror stories on this board previously). Slept a bit, thanks to Ambien.

Day 2
Airport was a little confusing but we just headed towards baggage claim (although we didnt check a bag) and found our way. We too the train to Roma Termini (9.50 euro per ticket, quick and easy). We also bought all of our tickets for the rest of the trip at the train station at the airport. This was super easy. We had printouts from the website of the exact trains we wanted. Train to Termini was a bit dirty and smelly but it was quick and convenient.

We stayed at Hotel Aberdeen. The room was quite small but modern. Shower was tiny and ?Satellite? TV got in 5 Italian stations. Staff was nice and location was great.

We waited in a 2 hour line in the pouring rain for the Vatican Museum. Urgh. Museum was very crowded but pretty incredible.

Dinner at Il Barocca, which was the next street over from the hotel. Wonderful, inexpensive dinner but service was terrible. Pasta Carbonorra (sp?) was incredible.

Day 3

I learned through this board to request a room away from the kitchen but completely forgot?so of course, we were right next to the kitchen. We were awoken each morning at 6:30 am by clanking dishes.

Breakfast was bizarre (as it was throughout Italy). Horrible coffee, cold cuts, yogurt, stale bread, and corn flakes.

We booked a private tour for the Coliseum and the Roman Forum. Our Tour Guide, Francesca, [email protected], was recommended by a friend how learned of her through Rick Steves call in service. She was wonderful. We really feel we got so much more out of these two sights than any other in Italy.

Francesca recommended a restaurant for lunch near Pizza Navaro. We wondered for an hour in back streets till we found it. Ciccia Bomba was great. Great service, food was incredible, we sat outside, house wine was great.

Walked to Trevi Fountain which was mobbed then we walked to the Spanish Stops. Next we wandered on Via Veneto which was a beautiful neighborhood/street.

Dinner at Sicilian Cafeteria, Dagnini. Food was so-so but the Canoli?s were delicious.

Old Apr 26th, 2004, 07:00 AM
Original Poster

Day 4

Took Eurostar train to Florence. 1st class was the way to go. Not much more expensive and seemed much more comfortable then the 2nd class cars.

We walked from the Train station to our hotel, Tourist House Ghiberti. Scary entrance to the building but once upstairs in the hotel, it was beautiful. Great room!Kspacious, computer with internet access in the room, king size bed, bathroom was spacious and modern, mini bar, and TV with CNN and BBC. We paid 150 euro a night but got an 8% discount for paying cash.

Went to Duomo, which was beautiful. We waited in line to climb the stairs to the top but I got scared (and claustrophobic) and went back down. Thankfully, the very annoyed guys at the ticket window gave us back our money.

Went to Giottos bell tower and my husband climbed the stairs while I stayed down stairs.

Lunch at Bar Zurito !V yummy sandwich, proscuitto and mozzarella on focochia (how Italian ??). DH had a calzone.

We went to the Bapistry and Duomo Museum which was pretty good. Worth the entry but not overwhelming.

Dinner at Zia Gigi on Via F. Portinaria. Yummy! Vino was great. I had Penne with Truffles and Parmesan!Koh my goodness, I could have eaten pounds of it. We split a Florentine Steak which was pretty good.

We went back to Bar Zurito and had coffee and port wine.

Day 5

Breakfast was the usual weird Italian breakfast. We went to the Science Museum which was pretty cool but we were rushing through because we had reservations at the Uffizi. Uffizi reservations were well worth it. We made our reservations online at www.weekendafirenze.it. Academia had no line when we went. David was quite impressive.

Dinner at Giorgio!Knot so great.

Day 6

We rented a car at Hertz and drove to Castello di Verrazzano, a winery in Chianti region. The drive was beautiful. The tour was excellent and very interesting. We opted for the tasting with a light lunch in which they pair various foods with the wine you are tasting. It included proscuitto, wild boar salami, bread, beans, boar stew, an much more. It was an !?Italian Light Lunch!? which really means you are full for two days. We bought 5 bottles of wine and olive oil.

Dinner back at Gio Zizi for more yummy pasta.

Old Apr 26th, 2004, 07:01 AM
Original Poster

Day 7

We took the train to Cinque Terra, changed trains in La Spezia to Monterrosso. We checked into our hotel, Villa Steno, which was wonderful. Spacious room, balcony, nice staff. There are stairs to get up to the hotel which are a bit of a hike but hey, we needed to work off all that food we were eating anyways.

We did the entire 5 hour hike which was excruciating but the views could not be beat. Along the way, we stopped for lunch at Baia Sarcena on the harbor in Vernazza. Great Pizza. We also got Gelato in Manarola at Bar Gelateria. Incredible!

We took the boat back from Monterrosso ? the view was great and it was worth the money.

Dinner in Monterrosso (cant recall the name of the restaurant but it was one of the first ones in the old town). They had the best Pesto I have ever tasted.

Day 8

Visited all the towns via train. We bought lunch in Manarola and picnicked on a rock near the ocean.

After dinner that night we went to Il Casello which is a wonderful pub on the ocean in Monterrosso. The owners are a young couple, husband is Italian and wife is Jennifer, an American living in Cinque Terre. They were all so friendly and I was positively fascinated by an American in Cinque Terre. She very kind to answer all of my nosy questions. We had a great time that night (some folks we met at dinner came with us to Il Casello) and they stay open till 3 am.

Day 9

Travel via train to Milan. We stayed at First Hotel near the airport. The hotel was immaculate?not very Italian at all but clean, modern, and convenient. Dinner at the hotel was pricey and not very good.

Day 10

Flight home, flew Alitalia to Paris then Air France to Atlanta. Business class was great on Air France. Much nicer than Alitalia.

Old Apr 26th, 2004, 02:22 PM

Is it at Hotel Aberdeen that you are suppose to request not to stay near to the kitchen? I need to know as we are booked there.

The breakfasts there were bad?

Now, what shoes did you wear?
What bag did you use for a day bag?
Did you use a 22 inch carry on or did you check bags?
Old Apr 26th, 2004, 03:42 PM
MK

We stayed at the Aberdeen in 2000. Based on our experience, I would recommend requesting a room away from the street to avoid the noise of the late night/early morning trash collection. Other than that, we enjoyed our stay there.
Old Apr 26th, 2004, 04:07 PM

I am curious why you would keep commenting on the 'bizarre' and 'weird' bad breakfasts in Italy. That type of breakfast is typical in Europe - one never goes expecting eggs, bacon, toast, etc. In fact, it sounds like your breakfasts were far more ample than the usual served: coffee and a roll (if that!)

Indeed, there are quite a few Americans in the Cinque Terre. I am one that almost married my (now ex) fiance who lived in the Cinque Terre. If it weren't for some other issues (unrelated to our nationalities), I would have been most content living on the Italian Riviera in that most beautiful of places! Sigh.

Additionally, it is interesting that you commented on the Leonardo Express train from FCO to Roma's Termini station as being a bit dirty. I ride those trains all the time and that thought never crosses my mind.
Old Apr 26th, 2004, 05:30 PM

Enjoyed your trip report. I found a lot of good information in it.Was you guide in Rome very expensive? She sounds wonderful.

Thanks for the nice report.Sounds like you had a great trip.
Old Apr 26th, 2004, 06:56 PM

Hi Kellib! Thanks for the trip report! Lorac just posted recently on the tour at the Castello di Verrazzano. I would be interested in your thoughts on it...length of time and cost, what you really enjoyed...Any thoughts? We are still trying to figure out which Chianti winery to visit. Thanks!
Old Apr 27th, 2004, 03:13 AM
Original Poster

robbiegirl:

Yes, hotel aberdeen - definetly request a room away from the kitchen.

It wasnt that breakfast's were bad, just not what Americans are used to. But there was always something to find to fill me up.

I mostly wore low sandles or sneakers

I carried on a 22" suitcase and a backpack. On the way back, I also had a collapsible duffle that I had packed in my suitcase.

For my day bag, I brought a Swiss Army travel bag that converts from a fanny pack to a purse like bag. But after 2 days of using it, I realized I preferred my mini purse. My husband carried a backpack for travel books, etc.
Old Apr 27th, 2004, 03:20 AM
Original Poster

Dottie

The Rome guide was 40 Euro an hour. Well worth it for those two sites. If I had the means, I probably would have hired her for the Vatican Museum too.

Tweeter
I highly recommend Castello di Verazzano. The tour was about an hour and the tasting was around 2 hours. There were two tasting options available, one in which you taste about 4 wines and I think it is around 20 euro per person. We opted for the one with 5 wines and a light lunch which was around 34 euro per person. Of course the real expensive is all the wine you end up buying there . The lunch was wonderful...it was all foods that are paired with the wines, and you sit with about 10 people from your tour so it is much fun...especially after a few glasses of wine. Enjoy!
Old Apr 27th, 2004, 11:37 AM

Kellib, sounds like you had a great trip!

Does the ticket counter at the train station at FCO accept credit cards? Was there a major line as I have read in the guide books? ThanX in advance!
Old Apr 27th, 2004, 11:51 AM

geminicricket: yes, the ticket counter at Roma's Termini Station accepts credit cards for ticket purchases. The lines aren't too bad, although is usually about 5 or more people in line every time I have gone. Some helpful advice, you can buy all your tickets in advance for the other city pairs you want, all at one time. It will save you stopping to do that in other train stations. Also convenient because Termini Station accepts M, V, and AMEX while some of the smaller stations don't always take all three cards.
Old Apr 27th, 2004, 12:57 PM

Huitres, Thank you for the Info! If all goes well (my daughter broke her arm on Sunday and if we get a cast on thursday we can go, if not we will most likely cancel the trip), I leave on Monday. Fodorites, pray for us ...
Old Apr 27th, 2004, 02:22 PM

Hi Kellib,
Thanks for the update.
Generally speaking how was the weather?
Pete
Old Apr 27th, 2004, 02:48 PM
SRS

Kellib,

Thanks for the report! Enjoyed reading it. Another question about the Rome guide - I am assuming she charged 40 per hour for both of you? Did she offer lots of other tours?

Thanks,
Sally
Old Apr 27th, 2004, 07:19 PM

Thanks Kellib for the winery info! We are still trying to determine if we want to spend a few hours at a winery versus that time in a hilltown.
Old Apr 28th, 2004, 08:28 AM
Original Poster

gemini cricket - The ticket counter did accept Credit Cards - I think we wused american express. There was no line at all but it was Saturday at 8:30 am. - but you have to go there anyways to buy your ticket for the train into the city.

Pete1222 - weather was wonderful (except for a day or two of rain) - 60's-70's in the day. cooler at night.

SRS - yes it was 40 euro for both so we could have added more people and split it up to make it cheaper. Not sure what other tours she offers. Shoot her an email - she is so sweet and happy to offer information.

Old Apr 28th, 2004, 11:00 AM

Nice trip report...very concise. I'm writing one and just can't seem to edit it down enough.

Tweeter: We spent about 3 1/2 hours at Verrazzano. When we left, we went into Greve which has the most lovely square and the cutest shops with the nicest shopkeepers. And there is a cafe for your afternoon gelato. Depending on how much time you have in Tuscany, you will see plenty of hilltowns. At this point, I have to actually stop to remember which was which...but Verrazzano and Greve stand out very clearly because we felt they were "experiences" as opposed to just sightseeing.
Old May 10th, 2004, 08:18 AM

kellib,

Like you we are staying at First Hotel the night prior to returning to the US from Malpenza on a morning flight.

We are coming into Centrale station from Florence. How did you transport to First Hotel?

I had thought we might have to take Malpensza shuttle bus to the airport then taxi to the hotel.

Thanks.

jb