Reload this Page >

10-day itinerary, looking for feedback

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 2nd, 2002, 04:38 PM
cathleen

We're going to Italy in a few weeks, and are making some frantic last-minute plans. I suspect this might be a bit of a jam-packed schedule, but I don't see us being able to afford another trip to Italy anytime soon, so we just want to see what we can while we're there.<BR><BR>Day 1 - arr. Rome @ noon (Hotel Miami booked)<BR>Day 2 - Rome<BR>Day 3 - train to Florence (having a bit of trouble finding vacancy)<BR>Day 4 - Florence<BR>Day 5 - rent car and drive to Siena (probably Villa Liberty)<BR>Day 6 - daytrip to ? with another night in Siena<BR>Day 7 - drive to Cinque Terre (no idea about hotel)<BR>Day 8 - drive to Venice (no idea about hotel)<BR>Day 9 - Venice<BR>Day 10 - dep. Trieste 5pm<BR><BR>Any comments?

Old May 2nd, 2002, 04:49 PM
Thyra

IMHO, this is WAY too jam packed! Do you just have half a morning to see Rome before your train to Florence? Honestly we travel super rapidly by most standards.. but Rome boggled us..would have liked at least 4 nights. I would not try to sqeeze in Cinque Terre or Siena on this trip, you should just do Rome, Florence and Venice. Especially if you aren't pre-booked, it may take a rather large part of your day hunting down accomodations.<BR>Just my opinion, but better to see and enjoy the three cities you CAN see then look back for the rest of your lives and see a 10 day blur. <BR>

Old May 2nd, 2002, 05:08 PM
Rex

totally agree. way too jam packed is right.<BR><BR>you run the risk of actually hating rome with only two nights there - - and one of those fresh off the plane.<BR><BR>add one night in rome (minimum add), cut florence back to a single 30 hour stay, so that you can actually have a vacation somewhere (tuscany is fine); cut cinque terre and either add to venice or tuscany<BR><BR>why come home from trieste?<BR><BR>best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old May 2nd, 2002, 05:15 PM
StCirq

Cathleen: To be blunt, to my mind, this is beyond jam-packed;it borders on insanity. I don't think you have taken into consideration the time it takes to get from one place to another(have you checked distances?), how much time it takes to settle into a hotel, get a feel for your surroundings, etc., never mind figuring out the transportation systems, how much things should cost, etc. You are all over the map with no place to actually enjoy what's there to see. If this is your only trip for the foreseeable future, I'd suggest you completely rework it - wouldn't it be much better to plop yourself down in one or two places and actually get a real taste of Italy? With this itinerary, I doubt you'll have many memories other than packing, unpacking, racing for trains, and the autostrada. If you scale it way back, you may actually have some memories to savor.

Old May 2nd, 2002, 07:28 PM
huh

Have some of you even read this post, or do you instantly slam anyone who isn't spending a couple of weeks in each destination? I read that they arrive at noon in Rome, have all afternoon and evening, plus all the next day, plus the following morning in Rome -- not "just half a morning" in Rome. Then they have a full afternoon and evening plus the entire next day in Florence. Am I not reading the same thing you are?<BR>But yes it is a bit tight for the Cinque Terra. Cut out Cinque Terra and you have a nice trip -- add that night to Siena or somewhere in Tuscany, or spend your last night in Triest and you have a great itinerary. A bit jam packed but doable and wonderful.

Old May 2nd, 2002, 07:34 PM
Uncle Sam

Would suggest three days in Rome, three days in Florence and two days in Venice.<BR><BR>US

Old May 2nd, 2002, 07:53 PM
Al Godon

My first reaction when I saw this was "Are you nuts?" But then I decided I see your intentions. <BR><BR>I have one question Cathleen.<BR>At the pace you are going, and the distance you are covering, and places you will be visiting, do you really think you will see anything at all?<BR>Rome alone could take your whole time.<BR>I think you need to rethink your travel objectives of seeing what you can. Bear in mind that if you stick to your plan, you will NOT be seeing major attractions in Rome because you have fled to Florence and Venice.<BR><BR>It reminds me of my father's tour strategy. Ok back in the car. We will look at the pictures when we get home.<BR>The problem was, he had no camera.<BR>

Old May 2nd, 2002, 08:04 PM
dean

In my opinion, the most wonderful thing about Italy is the pace of life and its rythyms. You cannot discover that if you go to as many places as you have on your itinerary. I would only do 2 places in a 10 day itinerary. <BR><BR>I would reccomend Roma and somewhere in Toscana between Florence and Siena, say Castellina in Chianti or outside San Gimignano. I would day trip into Florence 1-2 times and spend most of the time wandering around Toscanna exploring the little hill towns. I would have 3 nights in Rome and a week in Toscana, renting an apartment there. <BR><BR>I know there are many who would say stay longer in Rome and I would agree there is much to do in Rome but Rome is a busy city much like New York. The culture is incredible, the energy palpable but the pace is anything but restful.

Old May 2nd, 2002, 08:06 PM
dean

By the way, I think Venice is the most incredible place in the world so if you did a week there instead of Toscana and Florence, that would be incredible. But I think for a first time in Italy, Toscana is a better choice. I would not reccomend splitting a week between Toscana and Venezia, however.

Old May 2nd, 2002, 08:22 PM
Dayle

Dear Cathleen,<BR><BR>I agree that if you cut out Cinque Terre you have a fast, but good trip. If it were me:<BR><BR>3 nights Rome<BR>rent car drive through Tuscany <BR>2 nts Tuscany<BR>2 nts Florence - turn in car<BR>2 nts Venice<BR><BR>This would give you a really nice mix, with time to relax in Tuscany after Rome & in Venice (quiet at night, no cars)after Florence (VESPAS!!!!). You should have time to see the major sights in the cities.<BR><BR><BR>Have a wonderful time! <BR>

Old May 6th, 2002, 08:28 PM
Cathleen

Sorry for my delay in replying to all the fabulous feedback, but I did want to say thank you all very much for the comments! <BR><BR>We booked our flight 2 months ago and I've been a crazyperson since then. I'm a new traveller and am realizing how much I've been doing wrong, ie. 4 trillion guidebooks, researching EVERY hotel in depth and then realizing only 1 in the whole city has vacancy anyway, etc, etc. <BR><BR>So I guess my itinerary reflected my 'newbie-ness' and I'm glad I posted it here for your review.<BR><BR>Can't say I know what exactly we'll do to fix it yet (perhaps add a day to Rome, skip Cinque Terre, make Siena day trip from Florence), but I'm going to take a deep breath, re-read all your comments, and re-evaluate.<BR><BR>I'll let you know what happens.

Old May 14th, 2002, 04:24 AM
Cathleen

Okay, this is our slightly modified itinerary. We've taken out Trieste, added a day to Florence, and have left two days "open" in the middle and will decide once we get there. I assume the pace is more acceptable now, but what do you think about going without a reservation... is it hard to find a place to stay (anywhere) with only a few days' notice?<BR><BR>Day 1 - arr. Rome @ noon (Hotel Miami booked)<BR>Day 2 - Rome<BR>Day 3 - train to Florence (Albergo Pensione Centrale)<BR>Day 4 - Florence<BR>Day 5 - Florence <BR>Day 6 - open<BR>Day 7 - open<BR>Day 8 - drive to Venice (no idea about hotel)<BR>Day 9 - Venice<BR>Day 10 - dep. Trieste 5pm<BR>

Old May 14th, 2002, 04:26 AM
Cathleen

Correction - we've taken out Cinque Terre, not Trieste - we're departing from Trieste, there's no option there.<BR><BR>By the way, Rex - the reason we're leaving from Trieste is because that was the only option for us, other than departing from Rome. No other cities had flights out on the days we wanted. We figured it would be nicer to leave from somewhere else so we could see more of Italy.

Old May 14th, 2002, 12:04 PM
John

Hi Cathleen,<BR><BR>Read your adjustments. Would still add a day in Rome (as opposed to Florence - you could do both using an 'open' day).

Old May 14th, 2002, 12:26 PM
StCirq

Cathleen - this is ever so much better. I'd try to reserve a room in Venice, though - that's a tough place to wander around looking for accommodations, and the longer you wait the less likely you'll find a nice room.

Old May 14th, 2002, 12:37 PM
Nancy

Hi Cathleen,<BR><BR>I would recommend taking the Eurostar train from Florence to Venice - Easy & direct.<BR><BR>Enjoy,<BR><BR>Nancy

Old May 14th, 2002, 12:51 PM
cherie

Cathleen - My husband, daughter and I did Italy for 9 nights 2 years ago. I wanted to see it all - just like you. My husband persuaded me to do 3 nights in Florence, Venice and Rome. I'm so glad we did - you do spend a lot of "precious" time checking in and out of hotels, finding your way around, etc. My one biggest suggestion would be take the train to Venice - you can't have a car there anyway and the train is so fast and easy. That way you won't have to bother with renting, parking and returning the car. Some friends of ours rented a car last year, and on the first day of their trip had all their luggage stolen out of it. <BR> We've been to Italy 4 times now an are going back again this summer and we<BR>ve never rented a car. It's always been so easy to travel by train. <BR><BR>

Old May 14th, 2002, 12:54 PM
cherie

oops - hit the wrong button - just wanted to conclude that whatever you do- where ever you go - you're in for a wonderful time. I'm hooked! The best food and wonderful shopping!!! Have a great time -

Old May 14th, 2002, 01:50 PM
StCirq

Cathleen - this is ever so much better. I'd try to reserve a room in Venice, though - that's a tough place to wander around looking for accommodations, and the longer you wait the less likely you'll find a nice room.

Old May 14th, 2002, 02:05 PM
Ellen

Forget about the car. Train it everywhere. Add a day on to Rome. Your first afternoon in Rome you can go to Villa Borghese (timed tickets so see if your concierge can order them for you in advance), and possibly on to the Coll & Forum. After dinner (recommend Otello), stroll the Piazza Navona for Tartufo. Next full day will be taken up by the Vatican Museum, Basilica, and Sistine Chapel. That's it. Evening, stroll by the Spanish Steps, Trevi Fountain etc. The following morning you can shop and poke around. Take a late afternoon train to Florence and you will arrive in time for dinner. <BR><BR>Florence - Accademia & Uffizi (sp?), Pitti Palace, Boboli Gardens, Santa Croce, Duomo--you need at least 2 & 1/2 days. Then a day trip to Tuscany (bus tour is a little rushed for my taste, but then again so is the whole trip).<BR><BR>Venice - another 2 days should suffice to see the main sites. Venice is pretty small.<BR><BR>I have now lost track of how many days you have left. Just stick to the 3 stops though with the one side trip. You need to have time to savor the atmosphere and the people. Otherwise, you might as well just book a cruise and spend 8 hours in 10 different ports.<BR><BR>As far as 'winging it' for a hotel. You have already found out that all the good hotels are pretty much booked, I wouldn't chance it. And, as far as going back for another trip, toss a coin over your left shoulder into the Trevi fountain. You'll be back. <BR><BR>PS&gt;There are cheaper times of the year to go to Italy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -