10-10-987 phone plan

Search

10-10-987 phone plan

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29th, 2007, 07:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
10-10-987 phone plan

I just heard about this phone plan. Calling rates from the US to Italy are 4 cents per minute, plus a 53 cent one-time connect fee per call. (There is also an 11.3% weekly surcharge for a mandatory donation to schools and libraries in the US.)

Does anyone have recent experience with this? It sounds too good to be true! This rate is the same as calls within the US and to Canada. Thanks!
Old Aug 29th, 2007, 07:54 AM

>Calling rates from the US to Italy are 4 cents per minute, plus a 53 cent one-time connect fee per call.

Sounds quite expensive.
the cheapest offer in Germany for calls to the US (landline) is 1,24 cents/min, no preselection, no connect fees...
Old Aug 29th, 2007, 07:58 AM

We have used it for a few years and have had no problems with it. They are probably cheaper 1010 numbers available but I can't be bothered looking for them to save a few cents. One thing I like about 10 10 987, is you can just pick up the phone the first time and dial, no having to get an access number or sign up, the calls come in on your regular phone bill.

Also..it's easy to remember 10 10 987, we had another 10 10 number and I could never remember it!!
Old Aug 29th, 2007, 08:00 AM

i buy phone cards where i pay about 3.5 cents a minute to France with no connect fee

the 53 cent connect fee makes it much more expensive than the plethora of calling cards available in places like Chinese food stores.

the 11.#% weekly surcharge makes no sense to me - not against schools and libraries but why me calling Italy should i pay for them?

Sounds too good to be true? Well there are much better things, like calling cards.
Old Aug 29th, 2007, 08:03 AM
ira

Hi d,

>(There is also an 11.3% weekly surcharge for a mandatory donation to schools and libraries in the US.) <

How can they add a weekly surcharge if they only bill you for the calls made?

Are you just dialing 1010987 or have you signed up for a plan?

Another "dial around" number is 1016868. They charge more per min, but there is no connection fee. Better for short calls.

Old Aug 29th, 2007, 08:18 AM

I'm with Jody. I've used it for years, and can't be bothered searching out alternatives to save pennies. I don't make many overseas calls, but when I do, I'm pleased with the relative cost.

From US, you just dial 1010987, then the number, and it will appear on your bill. Very simple.

Karen
http://www.pbase.com/karenmickleson
Old Aug 29th, 2007, 08:29 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your quick responses!

altamiro: Is that a card you buy in the country? I would need that, too, to call home. Are they hard to find and use? Any names of good cards for Italy, and where to buy them?

PalenqueBob: What card(s) do you use? I was looking at rates on the AT&T card and it is 15 cents/min. to Italy. Are your cards hard to use with the access codes and such. My mother will be using it and it needs to be easy!

ira: you just call, there is no plan. The fee is supposedly a US mandated telecommunication fee for the underpriviledged- it is called USF - The 1016868 you mentioned also charges it and a 39 cent connect fee. I guess they charge once weekly for the USF, only if you are using the service. So if you make 7 calls in one week and once a week later, you will see 2 different charges on your regular phone bill.

Any other ideas of cards to use would be greatly appreciated, too!

Old Aug 29th, 2007, 08:32 AM

The 11.3% is charged on ALL ;long distance telephone calls from any compnay

. What is the Federal Universal Service Fee?
A. The 1996 Telecommunications Act requires all long distance companies to contribute a portion of their revenues to the Federal Universal Service Fund which provides discounted telecommunications services to schools, libraries and low income consumers. Telecom*USA's Federal Universal Service Fee is a 11.3% charge on state-to-state and international monthly long distance charges, which is used to help contribute to this fund. This charge will appear separately on your bill.

It also apprears on any land line phone bill
Old Aug 29th, 2007, 08:34 AM

If you make only occasional calls then the numbers above i agree are the easiest and best way to go.

But if you call a lot like i do to family in France then it saves me a lot by getting the calling card.

But cards also have either a 3- or 6-month expiration date so i always buy a $10 card, which gives me about 400 minutes but a bit cheaper if i use a local access number that you have to ask the store for and not the 800 number on the card.

Il'' scurry around for me card and report back. But any ethnic food store where clients often call abroad will have dozens of different cards with rates posted.

Again you have to look at connect fees to determine the efficacy.
Old Aug 29th, 2007, 08:40 AM
Original Poster

Thanks KarenKM, I am thinking like you right now! It looks pretty easy for the few calls that will be made.

jody: I just looked up my phone bill, too, and there it was! Thanks.

PalenqueBob: I agree for long-term calling, but for a week, I guess I am thinking - Easy! Thanks for checking.

I am going to post a cell phone in Italy question - can you all help me out there,too, This has been a great help!
Old Aug 29th, 2007, 08:59 AM

My husband uses 1010987 to call me at least once per day while I am in Europe. There is no plan. Just pick up the phone dial 1010987-011-country code-city code & number. Trust me, it is EASY or my husband wouldn't bother using it. Our most expensive call was about $3.00.

We live in a small town in East Texas, so we do not have access to the cheap cards from Chinese stores.
Old Aug 29th, 2007, 09:02 AM

Cards have 800 numbers on them you can call and buy the card - all you need is the PIN code. I'll try to rummage mine up but $3 a call is certainly OK and if it works, great.

I've had several different companies cards and they usually work well - though you do have to insert the PIN - the access number can be stored in your automatic dialing mechanism - but at times, and it's usually when you really have to call, a few times they don't connect - circuits they buy in bulk full or whatever.

So i may stay with one card that works dependably over a cheaper one.
Old Aug 29th, 2007, 09:03 AM

and i think the 4 cent/min rate is to land phones not cell phones though not sure

but if calling a cell phone the 10-10 plans may be better - not sure how they differentiate
Old Aug 29th, 2007, 09:33 AM
Original Poster

PalenqueBob - You are right, I think the added rate for cell phones is 12 cents - so the total is 16 cents/min.

Thanks, Scatcat, jody, and KarenKM - it's good to hear from some who have used it! This has really helped.
Old Aug 29th, 2007, 10:09 AM

I've used 1010987 for years. Most of my family are long distance calls, so I use it frequently, especially into Canada. My sister uses it too, but got a shock when she got her phone bill after calling me in Italy on my cell phone a year ago and chatting for 20-30 min a shot. The cheap rate is only for calling land lines, not cell phones. Her bill was like $80 for just 2-3 calls!
Old Aug 29th, 2007, 10:19 AM

I go with the flow on this thread. I've had 1010987 for years so I guess I am very happy with it. I make now-and-then calls to Italy, Holland, and Germany.
Old Aug 29th, 2007, 03:49 PM
Original Poster

Wow, Barb! They told me that the surcharge for cell phones was 12 cents, then plus the 4 cents = 16 cents/min. + 53cents to connect. I hope they aren't telling me something that isn't true. With free incoming calls on the cell phone, I didn't think 16 cents/min. was too bad. Anyone else have this problem with cell phones? Thanks for the info, Barb!
Old Aug 29th, 2007, 04:06 PM
Jam

I've checked a lot of companies. To call from my home (land line) to a cell phone in Italy runs about 28 cents per minute due to the added charge of connecting to a cell over there not the 6 or 7 cents per minute you see advertised. The cheaper rates I found through various companies like MCI are when you are calling from one land line to another land line in Italy. Is there a toll free number for using the 10 10 987 number so I can inquire from my area? Would love to bring down my phone charges. My son over in Italy pays about the same fee 28 cents per minute using calling cards to call home. Thanks!
Old Aug 29th, 2007, 04:09 PM

You don't have to dial a toll-free number-just dial 1010987 then all your numbers. It will be billed on your home phone bill.
Old Aug 29th, 2007, 07:32 PM

I live in California and get a card
from the 99Cents Store. I can call
anywhere in the U.S., including cell
phones for 1 cent a min. No connection
fee and no 11.3% surcharge.
I called Belgium 7 cents a min and
the Netherlands for 6 cents a minute.
You do have to call an access # and
use a pin number. Each 99 cents has its own pin number. I buy ten of them at
a time.

at a time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -