1 Night Paris: CDG or Downtown

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24th, 2006, 08:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Next summer I will be spending a Saturday night in Paris with my wife and 2 young children. We will be arriving at CDG around 3 PM and departing the next morning at 9:30 am. We are considering staying at the Sheraton CDG (or another CDG hotel) or staying downtown and coming back the next morning. Any advice on what the better choice is? We will probably just do a few hours highlights tour. Arc, Elysees, Louve, Notre Dame, Tower. Thanks
Old Jul 24th, 2006, 08:15 AM

I vote for staying downtown, if only because the ambiance of the City of Light is vastly preferable to the Euro-postmodern industrial feel of CDG.

If you find a hotel along the RER B line within walking distance of St-Michel Notre-Dame or Luxembourg stations, you can be at your gate almost as fast as if you slept at the airport. Frequent trains will get you to Terminal 2 in 35 minutes or so.

For the sightseeing you have outlined, you might want to buy a pass on the batobus.com/english and use it to get up and down the Seine to the venues you mention. Except for the Arc de Triomph/Champs Élysées, all of them are within a few steps of the boat landings.

Having said all of that, it should be pointed out that your transport expense would be minimized by staying at the airport, since you can buy a one-day <i>Paris Visite</i> pass for the same outlay as a round-trip on the RER, and the said pass not only gets you all over town for &quot;free,&quot; but also qualifies for a &euro;4 discount on the adult Batobus tickets. Sleeping at the airport also means you don't have to schlep luggage into town and back.

If you are coming in from JFK, you can pre-purchase your <i>Paris Visite</i> passes at the RATP boutique there.
Old Jul 24th, 2006, 08:16 AM

You won't be able to adequately see the inside of Notre Dame or the Louvre then ... you won't actually get to Paris at 3 if you land then, it may take a while. But you could certainly walk around and see the outside of those and other sites.
Old Jul 24th, 2006, 08:23 AM
Original Poster

Thanks JoeTro,
I should have been clearer. We know we will not really be able to tour the sights, it's more like a long stroll in Paris and dinner, then leave. Figure 5 hours including dinner. Trying to decide if it is better to stay at CDG and come back to the hotel that night and not have to commute in the morning to the airport, or stay downtown, not have to rush out of the city that night, but then wake up early and commute out to CDG to catch the flight. Figure since we will be coming in on a Saturday and departing on a Sunday in August, traffic shouldn't be an issue.
Thanks
Old Jul 24th, 2006, 08:47 AM

Your plan sounds fine, especially with two young children, baggage etc...

It will still be light when you get to the City itself, so a nice walk, maybe Luxembourg Gardens for the kids to run and unwind, dinner in the area (lots of choices) and a cab back.

Or go to the Place des Voges, a wonderful little playground and park. Also numerous restaurants nearby. If the kids too get tired, you can always go back to the hotel and have dinner there.

Enjoy your trip,

Nina
Old Jul 24th, 2006, 08:59 AM

If it were just you and your wife, then I'd recommend staying in Paris over staying at CDG any day. A leisurely evening in Paris is great. And if you don't mind getting up early, you can easily get to CDG in plenty of time to catch your flight.

However, having two young children changes everything. Only you know their bedtime schedules and routines. Would having them stay up late work better for them and you than getting up early, rushing around to get everyone ready for a trip to the airport, and hauling both them and your luggage? Besides, if you stay at a hotel near CDG, you won't have luggage to transport into the city and back again.

If you go back and forth on the same day, buy the one-day Paris Visite pass for zones 1-5. It will get you into the city and back again plus plus cover any rides you take on the Metro, RER, bus, and the Montmartre funicular. It costs E16.75 for adults and E8.35 for children 4-11. Children under four ride free.

Visit www.ratp.fr to download and print a Metro/RER map for central Paris.
Old Jul 24th, 2006, 09:00 AM

The best M&eacute;tro map at ratp.fr is hidden here:

http://www.ratp.info/orienter/f_plan...eur&amp;fm=pdf

Also available free at any station.
Old Jul 24th, 2006, 09:10 AM

Sorry, I didn't make that too clear. I meant that your plan to sleep at the airport sounded better to me.

If you choose to sleep in Paris, you will have to schlepp your luggage to and from CDG. Then you'll will have get up earlier on Sunday, feed the kids. get everything together and reverse the transportation procedure.

Plus having to arrive early for your check-in, this will probably add a at least an hours plus, to your already early and packed morning.

Why add to that? The only difference is where you will actually sleep that night. A nice hotel room if it is clean, with a good mattress and bathroom, etc... IMHO isn't worth all of that trouble.

You say 'young childen', that means lots of pent up energy, especially after just getting off of a flight. I'd rather keep them happy at this point and save Paris for another time when you can enjoy it yourself.

Nina
Old Jul 24th, 2006, 09:13 AM

Well, based on your schedule - and that you are traveling with little ones, I'd stay at CDG. But, I don't like scurrying and stressing before flights.
Old Jul 24th, 2006, 09:26 AM

RATP has also been on strike occasionally but recurringly so the past year or so...stay tuned as strikes are often announced in advance and then be sure to stay at the airport the night before or face chaos getting there.
Old Jul 24th, 2006, 09:34 AM

I'd definitely recommend staying downtown.

A taxi to CDG from downtown takes only 30 minutes/40-45 Euros (we did this yesterday), so this is what you'll be gaining if you stay at CDG. If you take a cab, it's not too difficult to drag the luggage into town--I always giggle at the comments re: dragging luggage, etc. It's worth the $$ for the effort.

A no-brainer for me to actually enjoy a few hours in Paris on a Saturday evening--at a minimum, a stroll and dinner--rather than at a non-descript airport hotel.
Old Jul 24th, 2006, 09:35 AM

Um, I believe you will find that the time required to ready the kids in the morning and the requirement of getting the check-in desk on time are a constant. They take the same time regardless of where one sleeps.

A hotel shuttle will take anywhere from 20 to 60 minutes to deliver you to the terminal. Including getting to the RER station, the train route takes about the same, plus or minus a few minutes.

So the decision should should be based on the other factors outlined above.
Old Jul 24th, 2006, 10:24 AM

bridonohue,

You've posted a very good question.
I see arguments for both sides. Staying at CDG would involve less hassle--which is understandable as a high priority point as I travel with young kids myself, though it's a shame to miss central Paris ambience.

Probably the best option would be stay at CDG (less luggage-schlepping, easier departure Sun morning), but make a quick trip to Paris. Assuming you can check-in at a hotel by 5-5:30pm (adding extra time for travelling with the young 'uns), that still leaves enough time to taking a train to Paris, stroll around, have a nice dinner and get back to the hotel.

If you consider this, I would try to look for a hotel VERY close to the airport so that you don't end up waiting for the airport shuttle... Hilton is connected to CDG Terminal 2, though I haven't personally stayed there so can't comment on room or services.
Old Jul 24th, 2006, 10:28 AM

On a second thought, staying in central Paris won't involve much more hassle if you arrange a car service both ways...
Old Jul 24th, 2006, 10:40 AM

With two small ones you probably won't be out past 10 pm anyway, just go back toward CDG to stay the night.

If you need to be at airport by 7:30am, you'll appreciate the extra sleep.
Old Jul 24th, 2006, 10:40 AM

Staying in central Paris might not be a hassle, but the cost of a taxi both ways can add about 120 Euros to your stay. But if you take the RER or Air France bus, it will be less expensive.

If you decide to stay at the airport, check out the Marriott; it's quite close to the town of Roissy, which gives you good dining opportunities.