Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

1 hour connection at CDG. Need sympathy and advice.

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 1st, 2008, 06:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, mostly just advice We are flying Detroit to Istanbul in two weeks. I am using an award ticket and had no choice in the matter besides not taking the award at all.

1. I am on NW50 from Detroit to CDG. I heard NW50 arrives at a gate at 2E - True or False?

2.My AF Flight 1790 to Istanbul departs from terminal/hall 2E so that seems positive if NW50 arrives 2E. HOWEVER, I understand 2E is comprised of two buildings and I may need to take a shuttle train from one to the other - anyone with any experience of this? How long is the ride?

3. Since I am flying onward to Istanbul, Turkey which is not a Schengen country I do not believe I will have to go thru passport control, is that correct?

4. If I cannot make the connection, is it best to go to the Air France Lounge (as there is no NWA World Club at CDG) in 2E to try to rebook? There is one later flight that day.

It seems I have a fighting chance IF the flights are both at 2E and IF I do not have to go thru passport control and IF I can use one of the short connection security lines.

Any help is appreciated - I know these "will I make it at CDG" posts are a dime a dozen.
Old May 1st, 2008, 06:50 PM

I have no idea if you'll make it, but I would be surprised if your luggage made it in that amount of time. I would suggest planning your carryon based on not getting your main bag immediately at your destination. If it makes your connection, you'll be pleasantly surprised. If it doesn't, you won't be without clean undies.

Good luck
Old May 2nd, 2008, 06:49 AM
ira

Hi H,

> I am on NW50 from Detroit to CDG. I heard NW50 arrives at a gate at 2E - True or False?

It will arrive wherever it is put, which could be 2E or somewhere near Roissy and you will take a shuttle bus to the terminal.

Is there another flight to Istanbul that day?

Good luck.

Old May 2nd, 2008, 09:38 AM
Original Poster

Will definately have clean undies in the bag!

Yes, there is another flight so I won't be stranded overnight (I hope) but it is 7 hours later than my scheduled flight.

We could head into Paris for the afternoon, but we will have our carryon bags to drag around.

Does anyone think I have to go thru passport control if I am only transiting to Turkey?
Old May 2nd, 2008, 09:46 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
You will not go through passport control if in transit to Turkey. You may have another security check.

Terminal 2E is extremely efficient but absolutely huge.

I have taken NW50 from Detroit to Paris twice and both times it arrived about an hour early, as eastbound transatlantic flights often do, when not using congested airports like JFK or LAX.
Old May 2nd, 2008, 12:31 PM

HappyCheesehead - I posted a similar question a couple of days ago. There is some great information in that thread.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...=luvlimoncello

I hope the link works. If not, click on my name and you will be able to find it.
Old May 2nd, 2008, 01:25 PM

DTW-CDG is supposed to arrive at 2E. The train that connects 2E main terminal and S3 runs every few minutes and takes less than 1 min. You don't go through passport control but will need to go through security. If you're flying in business or Skyteam elite you can use the Acces No. 1 lanes at security (there are Acces lanes for passport control as well although in your case you don't need it). Look for the purplish sign. You should be OK if you get a jetway. Good luck!
Old May 2nd, 2008, 08:16 PM
Original Poster

Well alrighty then!!

I am feeling a bit more positive.

If I get a jet way (as seems to be normal procedure now)and the plane is on time or even better EARLY (kerouac if only I can get as lucky as you!) I think I have a fighting chance.

Not having to go through passport control is huge, and I did not even know about Acces 1. Thank you Patty! DH is NWA silver. It isn't very elite but I guess it is elite enough to able to use that special lane.

luvlimoncello, thanks for the link!

It is amazing to me that this airport causes so much constrnation for so many people!
Old Jun 1st, 2008, 02:04 PM
Original Poster

Back home now and happy to report we made the connection and so did our bags! Our flight to IST was delayed a bit, but no matter, we would have made it anyway.

We got lucky!

Old Jun 5th, 2008, 02:31 PM

Glad to hear you made it. I may be going through the same thing in a few months -- connecting on a Delta/AF flight from Atlanta at CDG to Istanbul. How long was your flight to Istanbul?

And how was your trip to Turkey?

Thanks.
Old Jun 5th, 2008, 03:11 PM
Original Poster

Hi Luisah!

The flight from CDG to IST was about 3:15, we connected to Air France from our Northwest flight. I would try to leave a lttle more time between flights than we had if at all possible

We had a great time in Turkey! Could have spent more time than we did, but I wanted to get a little time in Greece too.